What was your best album/cd find of the year?
Dec 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pincher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to play my Canadian albums on my British turntable.
wink.gif

Hell play them all on a British turntable!
k701smile.gif

Like this one - the predecessor to the Michel Gyrodec:

berliner-gramophone.jpg

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #47 of 71
Starflyer 59's new \DIAL M' on vinyl LP!

They're really cultivated a modern groove-fi sound which is truly unique and fabulous here. I can't stop thinking of Buck Rogers in the 21st century for some reason why I hear this...

dialm.jpg

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Susan Enan's "Plainsong" album:

Susan Enan: Music (New)

She opened for Over the Rhine and blew everyone away with her achingly beautiful voice. This is her debut album - a very mature and skilled one at that. It took over 6 years to piece together - that's how much work has gone in to making it 'Plainsong'.

You won't have heard of her: she's obscure because she's indie and Brit
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! I saw her but couldnt for the life of me remember her name the next day, have just ordered her album, hoping for good things!

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Starflyer 59's new \DIAL M' on vinyl LP!

They're really cultivated a modern groove-fi sound which is truly unique and fabulous here. I can't stop thinking of Buck Rogers in the 21st century for some reason why I hear this...

I like this one too, but when I pull a Starflyer album, I grab Old or Leave Here A Stranger.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

I'm so jealous...!

I won't get that one till Christmas and even then, it'll only be on CD
frown.gif

Is it on a par with 5 Days in July....that's what I want to know!

Hi, Head_case.

I've spun it twice now. The music is very Blue Rodeo, kind of pop, kind of hillbilly country. There are NO dogs on the entire album and some very nice tracks.

Sound quality varies from track to track. Some tracks are "compressed" and muddy, no dynamics, but not too bad, but enough to annoy me. A lack of top end too, the clarity is just missing on some tracks. Now, there are a few tracks that are great in the sound quality department.

One track (Disc 2, side 1, first track? I'll check tonight when I'm home) starts out, and there is a audible "creaking" sound. I want to say it's a band member's chair or something, it's funny.

Now, the biggest problem. Disc one side two, the groove does not track well, the tone arm wobbles from left to right across the entire side. Now, that usually not an issue, but you can hear it with this album, and it's very noticeable during quiet passages.

So, that's my review of my pressing; the album cost me $29.99.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #51 of 71
Working on the others, but I can't stop listening to:
Within Temptation
Fever Ray
Elsiane

I usually check into 'what're u listening to now' for some ideas, but this thread has been a shortcut to some killer tunes. Thanks everyone.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVALover5498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

sighnomore300jpg.jpg

Mumford and Sons on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Absolutely amazing album.
smile_phones.gif

-Chris-

On the strength of this post I bought this album today. Great tatse, great album. 12 tracks, all very good. Excellent string work (including banjo) great vocals with passion, colour, harmony and power and very involving lyrics. A classic in the making.

EDIT: My album of the year

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like this one too, but when I pull a Starflyer album, I grab Old or Leave Here A Stranger.

You can always spot a Starflyer afficienado when those two albums are his favourites
biggrin.gif

Mine too - along with Silver and Gold. Did you enjoy the 12" EP "The Last Laurel" as much?

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #54 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I saw her but couldnt for the life of me remember her name the next day, have just ordered her album, hoping for good things!

Wow - you're as bad as I am! I'm completely deaf when the announcer mumbles who the supporting act is. I remember going to see River City People (support act) one year on the strength of their album and no one introduced them on stage. This petite little woman looking like a Tasmanian Devil shot up on the stage with tatoos all over her body and started howling and screeching. I was mortified. That didn't sound anything like River City People. This is them: they did an authoritative cover of 'California Dreamin'' which shot them to fame:

YouTube - River City People - California Dreamin'

Afterwards, I was told by someone that River City People had just broken up and that's why they didn't attend their own concert. Real shame.

Hope you enjoy Susan's album as much as I do! Which is more than Over the Rhine these days
darthsmile.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pincher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Head_case.

I've spun it twice now. The music is very Blue Rodeo, kind of pop, kind of hillbilly country. There are NO dogs on the entire album and some very nice tracks.

Now, the biggest problem. Disc one side two, the groove does not track well, the tone arm wobbles from left to right across the entire side. Now, that usually not an issue, but you can hear it with this album, and it's very noticeable during quiet passages.

So, that's my review of my pressing; the album cost me $29.99.

Thanks for the review ... gosh...I'm not feeling so bad about getting the CD only after all...(due to come tomorrow with a friend!). I've had some really bad pressings on vinyl - oddly, on red 180gm vinyl which does what you describe with the sound coming out flat and under powered. I'll look forward to this - will see if what you describe is there on the cd...!

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #56 of 71
A couple of my favorite cd purchases from this year are radiohead's the bends, ok computer, and transatlanticism by death cab for cutie. I was never into radiohead in highschool (late 90's) when they were popular, and I didn't start liking death cab until a friend loaned me a cd. All three CDs are very good.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #58 of 71
I wasn't looking for it, but when I stopped at the local music shop I saw a used copy of Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker, Roy Hargrove, John Patitucci, and Brian Blade live at Massey Hall in 2001. Fantastic jazz album by some masters.

41H8GYZSE5L._SS500_.jpg

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #59 of 71
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
The XX
Flaming lips - Embryonic
Bad Brains
The Specials

Users who are viewing this thread

Back