What was your 1st Portable Music Player? (Please read rules)
Jan 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 68

^ Rio 600

32 MB of space. Even with super compressed music (ex. 64-128 kbps) you weren't able to get a full hour of music. I remember changing the music I put on that thing once or twice a day. When I later got an 8GB iPod Nano, the 8 GB felt incredibly huge.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 68
My Sony Walkman bought in the mid-1990s when I was about 15.  It was the floor model, and I think I paid somewhere in the $30 range for it.  It was cheaper to make mix tapes off the radio than to buy cds at the time, so that's how I got my tunes.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 68

Quote:

Quote:
Sony Walkman TPS-L2 that I purchased new in August 1979. Looked just like RASeymour's knock-off above but was the real thing and cost $199.99 in 1979 dollars! I rode to work and back every morning and all over the Western U.S. listening to that thing on my motorcycle. It was a marvel at the time and I was in heaven!

Got the same one in 1981, here was almost 400 USD value in the shop!
Looking for a new portable headphone for it was what made me find the HeadFi site more than 25 years later!
Now it has been recycled, only parts left I could find was some chassi parts not yet thrown in the garbage.
Gave me many nice listening experiences while riding a bike for exercise/relaxation tours around my village!

Hello labrat!
Nice to hear someone paid more than me for one! :) After about 10 years of use, mine started playing slower and slower and finally stopped working altogether and I put it away. I pulled it out about 2 years later and took it apart and found out that like most cassette players from those days that the drive motor was driven by a "rubber band" belt and it had dried out and broke. I couldn't figure out how to replace the belt much less where to get a replacement so I threw the unit away but kept the headphones. Some years later I found out how to replace the belt but of course, it was way too late. Sad but true but it gave me many years of joy!  

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #22 of 68
A 64mb iFP-100 series iRiver, in 2002. Cost nearly $250, and could fit 10 decent quality MP3s. Sounded pretty damn nice with a high quality file though, and even survived a cheap double A battery leaking all over it. Then upgraded to an ipod mini a few years later (2004).

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 68
Don't bother with Discman and walkman - my first DAP is Jazpiper, a Singaporean rebranded MPIO player from Korea, which is probably the first DAP MPIO ever made (and for those who don't know, MPIO used to be the largest DAP maker / OEM back in the pre-iPod days). Still in perfect working order and I even have the box and receipt back from 1999. Takes two AAA battery, 32MB internal and I have several 32MB and 16MB smart media card to use with it - also plays sub-128kbps MP3 better than any DAP I have ever used.

Jaz01.jpg

Jaz02.jpg

Cowon is just a software company back then.

Jaz06.jpg

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 68
Panasonic SL-200 or SL-1XX 
Didn't take any picture of it back in 1997...but looked like this

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #29 of 68
I don't remember the model, but it was a Sony Walkman cassette player waybackwhen. My cousin made a lot of compilation tapes for me, which really influenced my tastes. Lots of Beatles, acid rock, prog rock, and experimental jazz. I still have almost all of the tapes - I really need to digitize them.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #30 of 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back