What was the last movie you watched?
Aug 23, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #47 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Thank you!
It seemed like a good movie. Now I know what to look for here at home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Np Mr.PD. I like that CE movie too.

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #48 of 456
Had a great full day at the mall the other day. Watched Terminator 3, Bad Boys 2 and Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life - all in the same day. Didn't like the first two (but my girlfriend liked Bad Boys) but I think Tomb Raider was pretty good for a summer flick. The car chase scenes though with those Jamaicans @ Bad Boys 2 was impressive. But the storyline stunk big time.

Aug 23, 2003 at 11:38 AM Post #49 of 456
Easy Rider DVD. Just as good as it was 30+ years ago. The movie, not the DVD/

Aug 23, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #50 of 456
The Rookie last night on Encore.

Charming and uplifting film. Nice performances and one of those failsafe combo sports/chick flick movies.
Beautifully shot.

Would be a great Saturday Night DVD double feature paired with Field of Dreams or The Natural.

rookie.jpg

John

Aug 23, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #51 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by squirt
Just saw Miss Congeniality...JUNK...too bad Ms Bullock can't get decent roles to play...

not to mention that Acting God Bill Shatner
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #52 of 456
Last flick peeped: Baba Yaga, based on characters by the late Guido Crepax. I've always appreciated Crepax's crinkly-eyed Louise Brooks fetishism. I was introduced to him when novelist Kathy Acker gave me his version of Jekyll and Hyde as a present.

A. Jolie, not attractive? Perhaps you haven't experienced first-hand the dermatographic benefits of pale skin and piscine lips: It takes only the most harmless pressure with a twig to write one's name in a continuous red welt on the skin -- a welt that disappears ten minutes later, resulting in zero office embarrassment for the lady.

I'm not sure why, but I blame Billy Bob Thornton for getting Jolie too interested in Lara Croft. J. isn't Ah-nold with a sex change, you know -- she can act (as proved by her performances in *Gia* and the SI-lite *Girl, Interrupted*). To have begun as a credible actor and then to have chosen at the height of her popularity a cheesy action role employing an English accent and bronze makeup makes sense only after you know that she prefers to live in England (which I can understand to a point, though I'd choose Berlin).

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #54 of 456
Well, here's another straight guy weighing in on Angelina Jolie's unattractiveness. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't find her attractive, but I certainly don't. Those lips look like balloons that have begun to lose their inflation.

With regards to her ability to act -- I'm sure she can, but there wasn't a whole lot of it going on in the first Tomb Raider.

Aug 23, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #55 of 456
I rarely go to movies, but last night the family and I went to see "Open Range."

43m.jpg

It was ok. It was a bit slow and took a long time to develop. The gunfight scene was the best part.

Aug 23, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #56 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I rarely go to movies, but last night the family and I went to see "Open Range."

43m.jpg

It was ok. It was a bit slow and took a long time to develop. The gunfight scene was the best part.

All of Costner's films are unbearably slow for my taste. However, I dig westerns so I'll probably rent it when it's available on video.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #57 of 456
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
With regards to her ability to act -- I'm sure she can, but there wasn't a whole lot of it going on in the first Tomb Raider.

Your mistake was in choosing to watch Tomb Raider after having seen the trailers. If it had turned out to be remotely interesting, I'd have been amazed.

As for attractiveness: I'm really uncomfortable calling any woman unattractive. In the first place, if I say as much, that's only my opinion. In the second place, I'm not simply expressing an opinion, I'm insulting her. In the third place, I don't consider myself attractive enough to be throwing stones. In the fourth place, I tend to think almost all women are attractive if you look at them correctly. In the fifth place, I have a hard time believing that the men who call movie stars and models unattractive wouldn't praise Jesus if they found themselves in a long-term relationship with anyone who looked that good and was in that kind of condition.

This is a question of being decent to other people, not sexism, since women make the same uncharitable surface-level assessments as men (though not yelling the assessment on a street corner wins most women a few bonus points).

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #58 of 456
Watched the DVD of Phone Booth for the 8th time this afternoon with a friend who had not seen it.

I love this movie. It's an hour and 15 minutes long...and with a great cast. It was shot is like 9 days and it really works as a "real-time" thriller.

It's like a perfect one-act play.

Great Dolby 5.1 soundtrack too.

John

phonebooth.jpg

Aug 24, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #60 of 456
I, too, find Angelina Jolie quite unattractive. My girlfriend has her lips, though. They come in handy. *cough*

John: I also liked Phone Booth quite a bit. I think it's definitely a gimmick movie, but the gimmick is done very well. Not sure if I could watch it again, though -- it was almost exhausting (even though it was short). I suspect that was due to it being essentially one single drawn-out scene. Very stylish and clever though.

I rented "Platoon" and "Groove" tonight. Saw the first fifteen minutes of Platoon on FX... couldn't deal with the censorship, and it looked like one of those great movies that makes you lose all faith in humanity and makes you want to kill yourself. I love those movies.

I mistakenly rented "Groove." Apparently it's some sort of raver film/alternate version of Go (I love Go, so I'll probably enjoy Groove), but I got all excited because I thought it was that documentary on electronic music that features Autechre, Plastikman, Grandmaster Flash, and others. Only after I left the store did I realize that it was not, in fact, that film. Oh well. It might be entertaining anyway.

(edit: AHHH!!! JUST REMEMBERED! The movie is called "Modulations" -- the documentary that is)

I love movies.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back