What was the first computer you ever used?
Oct 3, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #91 of 142
I quickly figured out that I mostly wanted my own computer for proof of concept and communications stuff, and wanted to use bigger computers belonging to people with deep pockets for real stuff. I guess I followed that path to it's logical extreme, given my current employment.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #92 of 142
Slightly off-topic (rare for me, I know), but as I recall, my first program ever was on a Commodore 64 we had on display...let's see...

1: PRINT "Pacific Stereo Sucks"
2: GOTO 1

-m
* guess where *I* worked?!
* yes, my first digital masterpiece was an infinite loop.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #93 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone remember the Radio Shack TRS80 "Pocket" computer (below)? BTW the Grados are just for scale.
trs80pocket_hf1s.jpg

That was the first computer I ever owned! (Actually I owned the Sharp-branded one, but identical otherwise)

First computer I ever used was an IBM PS/2 back in 1st or 2nd grade. But the first computer I actually learned how to use was an Apple Macintosh Centris 610 back in 8th grade, and around that time I also learned DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95, and dabbled in Minix. My first "real" home system was an IBM PS/2 Model 25 with dual 720K floppy drives, PC-DOS 5.0, and even had Windows 1.04. I had so much fun programming on that thing. The good 'ol days...
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #94 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was the first computer I ever owned! (Actually I owned the Sharp-branded one, but identical otherwise)

I have had that similar looking sharp too, but I was like 12 years ago in elementary school. It was from my dad's stash.

My first experience with computers were a machine with Intel 80286 and Dos. VGA planets...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Then the first I owned was Amiga 500 solely for playing and really really basic Basic.
biggrin.gif
The Sharp could handle Basic too. Then a Commodore, 486(!) PC, Pentium 90M, Pentium 3, etc...

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #97 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
$500 for the installation kit
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
!!

That's more than $750 in today's dollars, and nearly 5 grand for the drive itself!

--Chris

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #98 of 142
The first computer I used was an Amstrad CPC6128, back when I wasn't even in kindergarten.
cool.gif
It still exists and works, my friend now owns it. I miss it.
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #102 of 142
Apple IIe, I remember the good days of programing basic applications that needed to be left over the weekend and praying that they didn't shut off the power.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #103 of 142
I recall using what I think was a Macintosh Plus when I was in Kindergarten. There was some sort of typing game on it that I thought was soooo cool. But the actual first computer my family owned was an Atari XE which I still own. Then it was all wintel machines I built pretty much 'till I got a white iBook around 2001 and it's been Apple laptops since. ^_^

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #104 of 142
The Casio fx-4000p was the first computer I programmed (looping? what's that! arrays? huh?)

I still have it (right next to me as I type this) and still use it for integer base conversions.
biggrin.gif

fx4000p-1.jpg

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #105 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Casio fx-4000p was the first computer I programmed (looping? what's that! arrays? huh?)

I still have it (right next to me as I type this) and still use it for integer base conversions.
biggrin.gif

fx4000p-1.jpg

I used to have one of those critters too. I probably still have the carcass around here somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back