what to listen to when very sad?
Apr 5, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Do you want depressing music, or uplifting music? Kinda confused here...
Slade

It's not possible to get any more depressed at this point of time..I was looking for something to relax and help ease the emotions a little.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
Neil Young

I've been a fan of Neil Young since the beginning but seriously, if youre ALREADY sad, this could push you right over the edge!

JC

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
Right now I am trying some classical..and it's not helping at all

Its actually making it a lot worse...I thought it was suppose to help
confused.gif

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Doom Metal
evil_smiley.gif

try some Draconian, My Dying Bride, Shape of Despair, Elegeion etc...

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

It's not possible to get any more depressed at this point of time..I was looking for something to relax and help ease the emotions a little.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Well if you're that depressed, you need some serious musical help, and I think I have just what you need. Listen to "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats. That song always makes me sing along and realize that this is a silly, silly world well worth enjoying and laughing at! DO IT MAN!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Slade
PS. Cheer up man, look at all your friends here trying to help you out, let us know more we can do to help!
600smile.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #37 of 61
well if you listen to the two recomendations i gave you, it will get worse. so stay far away from them!

When I am feeling really down, I always like to use music to further that mood. I find that if I just let myself be sad, think about what is bothering me, sulk down in my seat, close my eyes, just really dig down deep into my sorrows, and let the music just push me that much further, that i reach some sort of conclusion to it in the end, and come out the other end of the tunnel.

if i try to cheer myself up with happy music, fake smiles, contrived happy thoughts, etc, it just makes it worse, because the sadness still lingers underneath, and im left feeling hollow, which is worse than sadness for me.

i suppose i like to listen to music that furthers whatever mood im in. if im on a roadtrip flying through wyoming, its Creedence all the way!

feel better buddy.
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]maybe you just need some new headphones[/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #38 of 61
When I'm down at my darkest, I usually find I need an emotional catharsis to help me rise from the ashes like a phoenix. My favorite classical beast is Mahler's 6th Symphony. My favorite rock screamer is John Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" album, which alternates between scorchers and soothing songs.

M

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry you're bumming. Are you able to say what's making you feel depressed?

Anyway, I've gone through many dark periods in my life, usually over a woman
rolleyes.gif
. I have a couple of approaches. The first is listening to the blues. There's nothing like listening to John Lee Hooker moan and curse about how he's been wronged and about how down and out he is. It just makes me feel like there is misery in company or company in misery or whatever.

If that's too intense, you could try to mellow-out with some ambient type music (like Brain Eno or maybe some Indian raga).

Good luck.
plainface.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Thanks for the clarification, and sorry you're bumming. Are you able to say what's making you feel depressed?

College class concludes of a midterm and a final exam. I recieved the lowest midterm grade in the class, which is a failing grade. The best part is: I am an A average student and it's too late to drop the class.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

College class concludes of a midterm and a final exam. I recieved the lowest midterm grade in the class, which is a failing grade. The best part is: I am an A average student and it's too late to drop the class.

Sorry to hear that.

I've found that professors are willing to forgive a lot if you show that you really want to improve. The wrong thing to do now is to wallow in negativity. You're just halfway through the semester, and a serious effort now will save your grade. Start going to office hours, TA sessions, ask for tutoring if that's available to you, and keep trying. Good luck - you're a good student, and I'm sure you'll be able to recover!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #42 of 61
Yea, don't worry about it too much, college can be a bit stressful at times as all us university students know. My preferred album for such situations, on the rare
rolleyes.gif
occasions i experiance them, is Echo and the Bunnymen--Flowers....check out the song 'life goes on', and feel better.

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I've found that professors are willing to forgive a lot if you show that you really want to improve. The wrong thing to do now is to wallow in negativity. You're just halfway through the semester, and a serious effort now will save your grade. Start going to office hours, TA sessions, ask for tutoring if that's available to you, and keep trying. Good luck - you're a good student, and I'm sure you'll be able to recover!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I agree, this seems like good advice.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #44 of 61
Forget headphone listening while you are depressed!

Force yourself to do social activities, or at least things you can do around other people. It's the best medicine, imo. Come back to the cans when your head is in a better place.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back