what to follow the Panasonic RP-HJE900 with?
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Terpsichore

New Head-Fier
I've been really enjoying my HJE900 phones which I like a lot (with cowon J3 and Comply tips). But, probably because I foolishly look at HeadFi, I do wonder about other phones. I enjoy listening to music on my ATH-AD700 (which are my computer phones) as a change of sound and am wondering about buying a pair of perhaps Fischer Audio DBA-02 to provide variety and different sound (dual balanced armature, less bombastic sound I understand(?)).

I notice lots of experienced people have many phones, do you have different ones because you enjoy listening to different signatures or is it just a case of upgrading to better and better? Would buying DBA-02 (or another phone) just obsolete my HJE900 or give an interesting counterpoint?

I know people are very passionate about what they like on here and that it is a hobby. I'm in my thirties, not a musician and not an audiophile - I listen to enjoy and not to analyze (I wouldn't know how). Wide variety of music ambient, DnB, indie, pop etc, classical and jazz less often.

Sorry about the noobishness, my wallet is having some kind of breakdown and I don't know if suffering from some sort of shopaholism or a genuine journey of loving music more....

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Are you looking for Headphone or IEM?

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 15
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 15
DBA-02 sounds like a really good IEM from the reviews and about the right price, but not set on it. Curious about a balanced armature against dynamic (perhaps this is irrelevant). But just looking for something a bit different, perhaps more neutral. Detailed sound is the priority I think. Perhaps it's just diminishing returns going up from HJE900.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 15

What happen to the HJE900? What don't you like about them?
Quote:
DBA-02 sounds like a really good IEM from the reviews and about the right price, but not set on it. Curious about a balanced armature against dynamic (perhaps this is irrelevant). But just looking for something a bit different, perhaps more neutral. Detailed sound is the priority I think. Perhaps it's just diminishing returns going up from HJE900.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 15
I had the same problem recently, so I decided to sell my HJE900's and buy some q-jays. Turns out, refurbished Turbines were only 50$, so I bought a pair of those too. If you want, I can write my impressions of the q-jays and turbines in this thread to differentiate between all three once I get them.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 15
I love listening to my HJE900, I listen to them everyday. I don't think there is anything wrong with them.  But I guess am curious about other IEMs. After being away for a bit, coming back  listening to headphones I like the different sound they have. You read the reviews on here and the grass is always greener on the other side I suppose, perhaps I should get a pair of RE0, they're cheap different and they will perhaps get it out of my system.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I had the same problem recently, so I decided to sell my HJE900's and buy some q-jays. Turns out, refurbished Turbines were only 50$, so I bought a pair of those too. If you want, I can write my impressions of the q-jays and turbines in this thread to differentiate between all three once I get them.

Wow that's cheap. Good luck and yes I'd be interested in what you think of them.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 15
Well got the Fischer Audio DBA-02 yesterday, still getting used to them. Very different, but think I can find a place for both of them (definitely won't obsolete the HJ900, they're here to stay).

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 15
the dba's are going to be extremely different.  plus i would definitely let them burn in awhile before making any final decisions.  i liked mine in the beginning and after the initial 30-40 hour burn in, but after something like 60+, something kicked in and they definitely sounded even better.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I've been really enjoying my HJE900 phones which I like a lot (with cowon J3 and Comply tips). But, probably because I foolishly look at HeadFi, I do wonder about other phones. I enjoy listening to music on my ATH-AD700 (which are my computer phones) as a change of sound and am wondering about buying a pair of perhaps Fischer Audio DBA-02 to provide variety and different sound (dual balanced armature, less bombastic sound I understand(?)).

I notice lots of experienced people have many phones, do you have different ones because you enjoy listening to different signatures or is it just a case of upgrading to better and better? Would buying DBA-02 (or another phone) just obsolete my HJE900 or give an interesting counterpoint?

I know people are very passionate about what they like on here and that it is a hobby. I'm in my thirties, not a musician and not an audiophile - I listen to enjoy and not to analyze (I wouldn't know how). Wide variety of music ambient, DnB, indie, pop etc, classical and jazz less often.

Sorry about the noobishness, my wallet is having some kind of breakdown and I don't know if suffering from some sort of shopaholism or a genuine journey of loving music more....

Hi Terpischore, I happen to have both the HJE and DBA's
smile.gif
 If you are looking for a differing signature from the HJE, you are definitely on the money there! The DBA's offer a different sort of signature to the DBA's in being more balanced. As you alluded to in your post, I buy different IEM's simply because they offer a different signature. So far none of the IEM's I have had or tried have not been upgrades to the HJE, just different.  If you are listening for fun, the DBA's do that well because they have lots of fun elements. 

Do you really need the DBA's? No, I certainly don't need all the IEM's I have and will be selling most of them off, but it's definitely fun to explore!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 15
No worries munkyballz, I am in no rush and have lots of spare time for listening at the mo.

Cheers Daanish, that's settled then, I won't worry about it again! I like your philosophy. These DBAs certainly are crazy detailed (and fun). Think I will listen to different types of music on each, but who knows. Props to the guys who stick their necks out championing these and those who do the massive reviews. Thanks to them I've got two great IEMs. Now if they'd just keep quiet about the higher end ones please..
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 15
OMG munkyballz what a name LOL. Nice name dude.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 15
I think you made a great choice having the DBA-02 to balance the big HJE900.  I haven't heard the DBA-02 (thought about it), but my HF5 is a great balance to a couple of other "bombastic" phones I have.  You may get to where you use the HJE900 for fun listening, and the DBA-02 for critical listening (classical, intimate jazz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back