What to choose? westone ES5 or FS Ear Monitor?
Sep 7, 2010 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bartimaeus

New Head-Fier
I recently sold my imod&amp and purchased a Kenwood B9. Now I am considering just one more CEM before moving on to the desk systems, something slightly better than the ue7s I use now.

I've tried both the es3 and the es3x and find them fine, but after trying the ue18 those monitors seem two levels lower, and the ue11s just don't suit me. How would the soundstage of the ES5 be aganist the UE18(they're just too expensive)? What do these monitors actually sound like, and are they much better than the es3x?

The Ear Monitors are always said to be NATURAL. Exactly how natural are they? I am one of those who can't stand normal dynamic-drivered iems, even the ie8. So Is the EM good enough to stand toe to toe with five,six drivered monitors?

I like pop, guitar solos, operas, very light rock, so which one would do better in those aspects.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
I recently sold my imod&amp and purchased a Kenwood B9. Now I am considering just one more CEM before moving on to the desk systems, something slightly better than the ue7s I use now.

I've tried both the es3 and the es3x and find them fine, but after trying the ue18 those monitors seem two levels lower, and the ue11s just don't suit me. How would the soundstage of the ES5 be aganist the UE18(they're just too expensive)? What do these monitors actually sound like, and are they much better than the es3x?

The Ear Monitors are always said to be NATURAL. Exactly how natural are they? I am one of those who can't stand normal dynamic-drivered iems, even the ie8. So Is the EM good enough to stand toe to toe with five,six drivered monitors?

I like pop, guitar solos, operas, very light rock, so which one would do better in those aspects.

What don't you like about dynamic driver iems?
I've been talking to someone who has the new FS. Three Caveats: He's only had a chance to listen for a very short time (no "burn-in" whether in the driver or in the brain). The fit may not be quite right the first time as is often the case with any custom from any company (it has to do with the audiologist who does the earmold, not the company).  He isn't in a place where he can listen out of anything other than an off-brand dap... With all those rather important things in mind. He says it's very detailed and reproduces sound very accuratedly. He also said it's not at as warm as many universals ("but it's still enjoyable to listen to them")--this may be what you're referring to when it comes to dynamic driver iems or maybe it's the thing that leads you elsewhere, it's all subjective.

He also said: "the soundstage, echo,  and decay are significantly better than any universal I've heard. The music actually feels complete whereas I always zoom in on the "weakest" link when I listen to universals".

People liked the es5, but you seemed a little unexcited about the es3x and es3, what made the ue18 better? The ue18 is said to be warmer and more bassy.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:

What don't you like about dynamic driver iems?
I've been talking to someone who has the new FS. Three Caveats: He's only had a chance to listen for a very short time (no "burn-in" whether in the driver or in the brain). The fit may not be quite right the first time as is often the case with any custom from any company (it has to do with the audiologist who does the earmold, not the company).  He isn't in a place where he can listen out of anything other than an off-brand dap... With all those rather important things in mind. He says it's very detailed and reproduces sound very accuratedly. He also said it's not at as warm as many universals ("but it's still enjoyable to listen to them")--this may be what you're referring to when it comes to dynamic driver iems or maybe it's the thing that leads you elsewhere, it's all subjective.

He also said: "the soundstage, echo,  and decay are significantly better than any universal I've heard. The music actually feels complete whereas I always zoom in on the "weakest" link when I listen to universals".

People liked the es5, but you seemed a little unexcited about the es3x and es3, what made the ue18 better? The ue18 is said to be warmer and more bassy.

Sorry,just had time to login...
Well, the dynamic drivers are , IMO, muddy, loose and not as vigorous as the muti-driver IEMs.
Well, if the FS can be as detailed and has great bass then it's certainly worth a try. The soundstages of dynamics are normally fine, but can the FS reach the "stimulation-of-a-can" level? The UE18 can't, that's for sure.
I do like the es3 and have no grudge agaisnt the es3x. But the bass is just too weak and far and that sort of destroys the wholeness of the sound. The es3 has perhaps the best mid I've heard, but it's only the mids. KInd of unfair to bring up a 800-dollar item up against a 1350-dollar one. Well, the ue7s are already fine, and I see no reason in buying something that's not better.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Based on what you're looking for, I'd consider the JH16.  Lots of bass, good highly detailed highs and mids, and a wide soundstage.  A very fun monitor.

The Future Sonics sound signature is very pleasing for stage performers -- many of the top people in the business prefer it.  I haven't heard the customs, but the universal-fit Atrio are stellar earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back