What to Buy? Lightweight Closed Headphones ~ $25
Oct 12, 2010 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm wanting to buy lightweight closed new headphones (not IEMs) for ~$25 or less to use when I go walking - plugged into a Sanza Fuse and GoVibe V5 portable amp. Just something to keep me company while I walk and until I get back to my home headphone system. 

I'd like to try something different than the JBL 410 and JVC HA-S150 which I've used in the past. No open headphones like the PX100 or KSC75. 

Suggestions?

Currently considering the Coby CV-185
http://www.amazon.com/Coby-Folding-Stereo-Headphones-CV185/dp/B001U7YKVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1286892345&sr=1-1

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 2
After reading about the Auvio Retro Stereo Headphones in another thread, I bought it this morning for $20 + tax. 

Straight from my Sansa Fuze with the Normal EQ setting, I have to set the volume to 100% to get it loud enough to enjoy loud classic rock. But the bass is one note thumpy, there's an unwanted peak in the upper frequencies, and the overall sound is not engaging. If only using it from my Fuze, I'd return these headphones for a refund.  

However from my Fuze + GoVibe V5 amp with the volume on each set to about 85%, it is a much different experience. Using the Custom 5 Band EQ Settings at (bass) -9 2 3 -1 3 (treble), it is quite lively, hard hitting, engaging and enjoyable. The bass is tuneful and everything sounds much better. Although technically not as capable, I'm enjoying it more than the Pioneer SE-M390 that I just returned. The big positive for me is these headphones seem best suited for classic rock when adequately amped and EQ'd - similar to the JVC HA-RX700. Yet its "plastico" styling and included color options show it obviously targeted for teens. A minor negative is it can sound a bit "shouty" and "boxy" sounding, but not enough to make me want to stop listening. I consider these headphones a bargain at $20 - a great deal (for me). 

Made in China. 
Impedance: 32 Ohms
Sensitivity: 98dB +/- 5dB
Rated power: 10mW
Max power: 30mW

Edit:
I've had these playing for a few hours - sounds better now - like an unrefined baby brother RX700 with an attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back