What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch!
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #421 of 618
Will the iEMatch work with 3.5mm cables that have an inline mic?

I currently have the UE buffer jack and it does not work with cables that have a mic - the sound becomes thin and distant. A regular cable with no mic on the same iems works fine. Will the iEMatch (or Earbuddy) have the same problem?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #422 of 618
Will the iEMatch work with 3.5mm cables that have an inline mic?

It does work, but a mic won't. iEMatch must be set to SE and SE jacks on HP amplifiers must be used. This is covered in iEMatch manual.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #423 of 618
_20180410_084013-834x469.JPG

Works wonder!

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #426 of 618
Hey guys I'm receiving a new DAP soon (Hiby R6) and was wondering do I need to buy both the IEmatch 2.5 and 3.5 to avail of the balanced and SE ports on my dap?

I have both 2.5 BAL and 3.5 SE cables on my earbuds, was hoping I didn't need to buy both IE matchs (or one earbuddy and one IE match) but it's looking like I have to?

Please help :) Thanks!

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #428 of 618
Clieos do you know if the IEmatch works with 12 ohm Rose Masya? (the IFI site says it needs a minimum of 12.5 ohms)

Currently away from home. I'll give it a test once I am back home in next few days.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #429 of 618
Hey guys I'm receiving a new DAP soon (Hiby R6) and was wondering do I need to buy both the IEmatch 2.5 and 3.5 to avail of the balanced and SE ports on my dap?

That's a really interesting question. Let's assume noise floor isn't a problem - does the IEMatch offer any advantage when connecting to a DAP that has an output impedance that's too high (let's say >1/8th of the HP impedance)? Technically, the R6 z-out is too high even for the impedance the IEMatch presents (16 Ohm), right? So is there any benefit here?

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #430 of 618
That's a really interesting question. Let's assume noise floor isn't a problem - does the IEMatch offer any advantage when connecting to a DAP that has an output impedance that's too high (let's say >1/8th of the HP impedance)? Technically, the R6 z-out is too high even for the impedance the IEMatch presents (16 Ohm), right? So is there any benefit here?
I’m a little confused are you saying it won’t work to bring the output impendance down to less than 3 ohm?

My main reason for purchasing it was to bring output impendance down to manageable levels for low impendance gear. People on the hiby r6 forum are saying it works for this purpose.

I’m not technically knowledgeable enough about this subject to know otherwise but I really hope it does work...

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #432 of 618
I’m a little confused are you saying it won’t work to bring the output impendance down to less than 3 ohm?

My main reason for purchasing it was to bring output impendance down to manageable levels for low impendance gear. People on the hiby r6 forum are saying it works for this purpose.

I’m not technically knowledgeable enough about this subject to know otherwise but I really hope it does work...

For sure, it will create an output impedance that presents to your headphones as about 1 Ohm (I believe) and it should minimize the variation of impedance with frequency. I'm not sure what the overall benefit is to the FR though, given that the R6 is already really too high of an output impedance to drive a 16 Ohm load (the IEMatch). It seems like your FR will still be somewhat skewed. But maybe I'm overlooking something?

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #433 of 618
For sure, it will create an output impedance that presents to your headphones as about 1 Ohm (I believe) and it should minimize the variation of impedance with frequency. I'm not sure what the overall benefit is to the FR though, given that the R6 is already really too high of an output impedance to drive a 16 Ohm load (the IEMatch). It seems like your FR will still be somewhat skewed. But maybe I'm overlooking something?
Well s**t I don’t know enough about this apparently and took the reviews I read about the problem being ‘solves’ with the iematch as the truth. So I went ahead and ordered the DAP.

I may still have time to cancel my order but I really was looking forward to using this dap for all my gear (1 headphone and many earbuds mostly 16-32 ohm)

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #434 of 618
Well s**t I don’t know enough about this apparently and took the reviews I read about the problem being ‘solves’ with the iematch as the truth. So I went ahead and ordered the DAP.

I may still have time to cancel my order but I really was looking forward to using this dap for all my gear (1 headphone and many earbuds mostly 16-32 ohm)
Well, what you don't know can't harm you :) You may still enjoy the sound signature. Plenty of people still go around happily plugging 8 Ohm headphones into iPhones. A shift in the FR is only a problem if you don't like the resulting FR.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #435 of 618
Well, what you don't know can't harm you :) You may still enjoy the sound signature. Plenty of people still go around happily plugging 8 Ohm headphones into iPhones. A shift in the FR is only a problem if you don't like the resulting FR.
True but I like close to neutral and am picky about sound signature somewhat. Plus spending $500+ on a dap is a big thing to me so if it’s not right I’ll cancel it.

These earbuds are all single dynamic driver (except one dual dynamic) and not IEM’s. I wonder if that makes a difference because I heard BA drivers are much more effected.

Also if the IEmatch doesn’t help this why do multiplayer reviewers state (along with staff from hiby) that the IEmatch benefits the output impendance for sensitive earbuds/iems?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back