What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch!
Sep 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #182 of 618
will it alter the sound signature of iem

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #184 of 618
  will it alter the sound signature of iem

I think it's too soon to answer that question. From my experience with iDSD's built-in iEMatch, it requires some burn in. But in theory it shouldn't if you fulfill the 1/8th rule (more info by NwAvGuy here http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html). For High sensitivity mode, the output impedance is 2.5 Ohms, so you'll be fine with headphones with 20 Ohms or more. For Ultra sensitivity mode, the impedance remains at 1 Ohm, so with almost any iEM your frequency response will remain untouched.

I hope it sheds some light :p

Regards,
Rafa 

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #186 of 618
  I think it's too soon to answer that question. From my experience with iDSD's built-in iEMatch, it requires some burn in. But in theory it shouldn't if you fulfill the 1/8th rule (more info by NwAvGuy here http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html). For High sensitivity mode, the output impedance is 2.5 Ohms, so you'll be fine with headphones with 20 Ohms or more. For Ultra sensitivity mode, the impedance remains at 1 Ohm, so with almost any iEM your frequency response will remain untouched.

Regards,
Rafa 

Good info there. But Ultra having a less impedance is weird. What is the explanation of this? Anyone?
confused_face_2.gif

These things are really complicated. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #187 of 618

Regards,
Rafa 

Good info there. But Ultra having a less impedance is weird. What is the explanation of this? Anyone?
confused_face_2.gif

These things are really complicated. 
biggrin.gif

I'd also really know how it works, at least roughly.

By the way, the Micro iDSD's iEMatch seems to work similarly, as its output impedance is also lower in Ultra than in High Sensitivity mode.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #189 of 618
  I am arguing with a friend on how many bits are lost with digital volume controls.Can iFi clarify so we can move on :)

The problem is related with digital volume control before it gets into DAC/Amp, not digital volume control for the amplifier (direct connection with the hardware to control the gain, like HTC One M8 with a Faux Sound compatible kernel). With many android devices, amplifier gain is fixed and digital volume is the only one controlling the output. That is indeed a potential modification of the original bits that affects dynamic range and breaks the philosophy of Bit Perfect audio.

It's quite an interesting topic. You can read more about it here http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/features-menu/general-interest-interviews-menu/311-what-s-wrong-with-digital-volume-controls

Regards,
Rafa

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #190 of 618
Received my IEMatch today
smily_headphones1.gif
,  again Thank You !!! to iFi Audio, especially Karina, & Gabrielle who ensured it got to me OK. 

Been listening for a couple of hours with the IEMatch between my iPhone 6S+ and Apple earpods.
Unable to do a review as I am more of a full size headphone/speaker guy, inexperienced with IEMs (plus I have no audiophile IEM's, though I got Shure 535's for my GF. I'm very curious on how the IEMatch works with the Shure 535, anyway I will find out in a few weeks when she returns from OS).  

Though I do have some quick impressions ... even with normal consumer gear (non-audiophile) like the earpods, what was immediately evident was a reduction of hiss, allowing more detail to be noticed. More dynamic. Oh, imaging improved (instruments had more of a defined space).

... Fatigue was also reduced.   Tonight was the longest I have ever lasted listening to the earpods, usually I can only last about 30 minutes with earpods, so far my listening has lasted a few hours.  I find removing a component/tweak to be a good indicator of how much an improvement (if any) is made by something new in the audio chain ... so I did just that about 5 minutes ago, removed the IEMatch, and already I wanted to stop listening ... so I just put the IEMatch back into the chain. 

Other thoughts ... the IEMatch is well crafted, and the packaging is high quality & compact.  

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #191 of 618
Damn!!! Got my ieMatch and now I can properly use my Bimby/Lyr2 stack with my K10s... What can I say, a whole new level 
L3000.gif
 Listening to Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night and it sounds amazing, even better than my Mojo which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. Thanks very much for making such a fantastic product! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #192 of 618
  Damn!!! Got my ieMatch and now I can properly use my Bimby/Lyr2 stack with my K10s... What can I say, a whole new level 
L3000.gif
 Listening to Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night and it sounds amazing, even better than my Mojo which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. Thanks very much for making such a fantastic product! 
beerchug.gif

does it change the sound signature

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #193 of 618

I can't really comment too much on that as my Lyr 2 has so much hiss before I couldn't really listen without wanting to rip my ears off 
eek.gif
. I would say it does sound very similar though from as far as I can tell.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #194 of 618

I can't really comment too much on that as my Lyr 2 has so much hiss before I couldn't really listen without wanting to rip my ears off 
eek.gif
. I would say it does sound very similar though from as far as I can tell.

that sounds great

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #195 of 618

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Waiting for my review sample (probably stuck somewhere on a boat, paddling from UK
biggrin.gif
).  Your question will be answered soon with Andromeda, ES60, Zeus-R, K10UA, DN2kJ, and others who hiss
wink.gif
  I think I'm the most excited to test it with Andromeda and Zeus-R, but also curious about U12 since that one requires impedance adapter to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back