What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch!
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #286 of 618

Because most devices are 3.5mm trs? The balanced part is an added extra so you can't complain too much.

Sure I can.  
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #287 of 618
Would anyone happen to know if this is the correct adapter for the 2.5mm trrs headphone side?  I know there's several different wiring schemes.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5100

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #288 of 618
This sounds interesting, but I think I will just stick with DUNU impedance adaptors. Shipping along with customs and taxes comes out to over $100 CAD. That is just outrageous, I could buy 5 Dunu adaptors, one for each family member.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #289 of 618
  This sounds interesting, but I think I will just stick with DUNU impedance adaptors. Shipping along with customs and taxes comes out to over $100 CAD. That is just outrageous, I could buy 5 Dunu adaptors, one for each family member.

I was in exactly the same boat as you. Not wanting to go ahead because my impedance adapter was doing the job in terms of totally eliminating hiss and they cost 1/5th the price of the IEMatch. The price here in Ausralia is terrible for the IEMatch as it obviously is for you.

But all that said, swapping from an impedance adapter to the IEMatch is the best thing I've done sonically to my headphone setup since finally finding my "forever" IEM - the IE800.

I'll never be happy with the cost of the IEMatch but then again I can also tell you that I've spent FAR more money than this before on other things for far lesser gains. Of course, everyone's mileage varies but I am extremely happy with the sonic results I achieved. The IEMatch totally gets out of the way sonically speaking, whereas an impedance adapter has sonic side-effects which may or may not be favourable, even if it is an intentional part of a design such as the ER-4P/S. In my case the impedance adapter made the sound less open and less clear and the PRaT suffered noticeably too. No such side effects at all with the IEmatch, yet it also achieved the exact same result in terms of 100% eliminating all hiss.

Perhaps iFi can setup something here where a loaner can do the rounds amongst members. The benefits are that is would cost nothing apart from on-postage (and it weighs nothing) and critically it is burned-in when you get (in my experience from brand new it can take a good 60 hours minimum to properly 'get out of the way" sonically speaking which isn't good if you buy one and want to get a good idea of how well it works immediately).

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #291 of 618
@iFi audio

Since I'm a happy micro iDSD owner since 2014 I already knew the impressive iEMatch feature very well - it just works flawless - no question. My big question was more: how this tech works without any active components - so with your iEMatch adapter.

I ordered few days ago the iEMatch adapter for my other DAC/AMP devices which provide too much hiss to my sensitive IEMs/CIEMs. So far so good, it worked as it should now with the iEMatch adapter - every hissing device is now dead silent no hiss anymore - absolute zero.

Sure this "trick" could be done with any cheap impedance adaptor with a resistor built-in, but the side effect of this "solution" is that the output impedance of the source device are increased and the frequency response of the IEMs/CIEMs are modified (mostly really bad!).

So now I have read the details that with this passive unit of iEMatch and the setting "Ultra" it keeps just ~ 1 ohms output impedance, which is insane with a passive and not active component, my questions are how is that possible - to eliminate the hiss without using resistors? How you avoid this side affects of "regular" impedance adaptors?

Since I'm a technical engineer I did a few measurements by myself and I'm bit confused. First I measured the source device without iEMatch and with my multimeter and I got 0,6 ohms so far so good. I attach now my sensitive 12 driver CIEM no frequency response altered since we keep the output impedance at around 1 ohms:

2nd run was the same setup but iEMatch in between and setting to "High" and I measured again with my multimeter and I got 2,6 ohms (official > 2,5 ohms) very good results and since it's over 1 ohms the frequency response is altered - that is also just normal and I knew this - no need to talk about that's fine:

3rd run was the same setup but iEMatch in between and setting to "Ultra" and I measured again with my multimeter and I got 1 ohms (official 1 ohms) very good results and now my question is why (even it's below 0,5 dB frequency response changes) does look like this frequency response so "fancy" right now? I can't hear this, maybe related to the tech to eliminate the hiss without increasing the output impedance? My ADC is a bit old, but still very good - it's a Creative E-MU 0404 - I would never say never (like a measurement glitch) - but I do this since years and I also did a few runs to verify and I'm very sure measurements fine I compared with other gear too.

A summary from all runs in one view:

Finally I'm very happy with the iEMatch, it would only at least for me (and I guess others too) really intesting if you may shed a bit light on the tech inside of iEMatch or may explain a bit how this passive unit works so well. It's really a beast hiss killer without audible side effects with very sensitive IEMs/CIEMs.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #292 of 618
  3rd run was the same setup but iEMatch in between and setting to "Ultra" and I measured again with my multimeter and I got 1 ohms (official 1 ohms) very good results and now my question is why (even it's below 0,5 dB frequency response changes) does look like this frequency response so "fancy" right now?.

Nice work you've done!

Can we enquire in more detail the precise measurement process?

As the iEMatch cuts levels by respectively 4 or 16 times, the level differences would have to be compensated in the tests, preferably without adding extra noise or other issues. Which means that one shouldn't use extra gain on the sound card or very high signal levels (near clipping) on the headphone amp.

We would recommend the following test process using RMAA:

• Set the headphone signal level on the headphone amplifier to a level with music that represents normal listening.
  • Set the sound card input levels so that the test tone of RMAA has the correct level. As the levels will likely be quite low it may need a lot of gain.
  • Perform the first set of measurements without iEMatch at this level settings. 
  • Add iEMatch in high sensitivity mode, increase the volume on a headphone amplifier, until the calibration tone of RMAA measures the same level as before. Do NOT adjust the input level!
  • Perform measurement.
  • Set iEMatch to ultra sensitivity and again increase the volume on the headphone amplifier, until the calibration tone of RMAA measures the same level as before.
  • Perform the final measurement.

Keeping sound card's unchanged input levels will make sure that we have a level playing field and the measurements at lower levels do not have added noise.

For publication it may be of interest to show noise & distortion as well as frequency response for different combinations. As the EMU0404 has fairly high levels of noise on high gain inputs, it may not show SNR improvements correctly though.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 14, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #293 of 618
So is IEMatch capable of acting as an adapter when going bal-->unbal? This case would be having a balanced cable, but plugging it in a source not capable of bal output like a normal phone which can only output 3.5 trs. If it is capable of acting as an adapter while the sensitivity function works, which mode would I select for the conversion?

Also, would it work to have an se cable and the IEMatch plugged into a bal output? I don't think this is possible, but doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #295 of 618
  So is IEMatch capable of acting as an adapter when going bal-->unbal? This case would be having a balanced cable, but plugging it in a source not capable of bal output like a normal phone which can only output 3.5 trs. If it is capable of acting as an adapter while the sensitivity function works, which mode would I select for the conversion?

Also, would it work to have an se cable and the IEMatch plugged into a bal output? I don't think this is possible, but doesn't hurt to ask. :)

No. It can do bal to unbal but not the other way around.

The iEMatch has a se/bal switch to convert trrs to trs but only on the headphone side; not the source. If you're already using a trs plug just leave it on se. When using balanced trrs (with a balanced source) switch it to bal so it can pass through the balanced signal. If you only have a balanced trrs plug but need to connect to an unbalanced source, use the iEMatch on the SE setting.

I would also like to know if the product is meant to be used on both sources with high OI as well as very low OI or if it's only meant to used on sources with low OI of less than 1.

It's meant to be used in situations where YOU hear hiss and/or channel imbalance which usually happens pairing a high powered output and/or high output impedance with sensitive headphones (or iems like the product's name suggests).

Odds are, if the OI is less than 1, you won't hear much hiss (if any). I use the iEMatch with two of my amps that have 6 ohms and 22 ohms output impedance. It completely gets rid of the hiss on my Momentums. The iEMatch's High setting usually works but Ultra is there if you can still hear hiss. Volume levels are reduced but there's no noticeable impact on dynamics or sound quality. 

One of my amps is too powerful to get past 9 o'clock volume on the Momentums so the iEMatch both gets rid of hiss and allows me to put the volume closer to 12 o'clock. This can actually help improve dynamics but the iEMatch may not work as well with amps that are both weak and noisy.

All a little confusing but hope it helps.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #296 of 618

No. It can do bal to unbal but not the other way around.

The iEMatch has a se/bal switch to convert trrs to trs but only on the headphone side; not the source. If you're already using a trs plug just leave it on se. When using balanced trrs (with a balanced source) switch it to bal so it can pass through the balanced signal. If you only have a balanced trrs plug but need to connect to an unbalanced source, use the iEMatch on the SE setting.

It's meant to be used in situations where YOU hear hiss and/or channel imbalance which usually happens pairing a high powered output and/or high output impedance with sensitive headphones (or iems like the product's name suggests).

Odds are, if the OI is less than 1, you won't hear much hiss (if any). I use the iEMatch with two of my amps that have 6 ohms and 22 ohms output impedance. It completely gets rid of the hiss on my Momentums. The iEMatch's High setting usually works but Ultra is there if you can still hear hiss. Volume levels are reduced but there's no noticeable impact on dynamics or sound quality. 

One of my amps is too powerful to get past 9 o'clock volume on the Momentums so the iEMatch both gets rid of hiss and allows me to put the volume closer to 12 o'clock. This can actually help improve dynamics but the iEMatch may not work as well with amps that are both weak and noisy.

All a little confusing but hope it helps.

Thanks. Good to know that it can act as an adapter when you have a bal cable, but an unbal source. I don't think the other way is physically possible, going bal-->unbal. Soon going to order Andromeda and I have a gov2+ inf. in my hand as a source. I've heard some people complain about the noise floor being apparent even though the source has an OI of 0.49. They use IEMatch to get rid of the hissing as well as alter the OI to either 1 or 2.5 to alter the sound slightly as Andromeda is very sensitive to OI changes. I guess I'll find out soon how apparent the hissing is. IEMatch looks like the perfect solution.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #297 of 618
Interested in this thing. I own a iBasso DX80, that hisses very much both with Hifiman re-600s iem and Panasonic HD10 cans.
Should I get it? Id'like not to change sound sig of re600-s, since it's so neutral.

Thanks. PS Previously I had DX90 that had zero hiss. Someone says it's due to he more powerful amp of DX80, is it true? 

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #298 of 618
  Interested in this thing. I own a iBasso DX80, that hisses very much both with Hifiman re-600s iem and Panasonic HD10 cans.
Should I get it? Id'like not to change sound sig of re600-s, since it's so neutral.

If your headphone out hisses, iEMatch is something that should be at least auditioned. 
wink_face.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 19, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #300 of 618
Received mine today, ordered through Amazon, but it's malfunctioning. Tried several headphones. All audio shifts to one side almost entirely for one headphone and for the other the soundstage collapses completely. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back