what the difference between Audio-technica ATH-CM700 BW and ATH-CM700Ti
Sep 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

takaecho

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm going to buy Audio-technica ATH-CM700 but i'm not sure the difference about ATH-CM700 BW and ATH-CM700Ti.
Is it just only the body's material? or the sound is changed?

thank you

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 32
The difference between BW and Ti is the material of the casing (aluminium for BW and titanium for Ti IIRC).

MX980 pro:
Solid durable cable.
Straight/angle-shaped hybrid plug.
An acceptable sound.
MX980 contra:
Too much bass (well, unless you're basshead, then it is a pro for you).
Impossible to use while walking. The cable with all this metal parts is too heavy, and because of weird earphones shape (wedge beam) it literally pulls out the earphones from your ears on each step. That means that you either should rearrange/refit the earphones several times in a minute or after a half of minute the sound becomes inaudible and after another half of minute earphones will fall out from your ears.
Too uncomfortable in my ears (as if the earphones were too big - well, they are too thick, when compared to CM700); that makes their prolonged use difficult even in the home/office. And it is not because my ears are too small, or else CM700 would be also uncomfortable for me.
2x more expensive than CM700.

CM700 pro:
An awesome sound.
An awesome fit (really, using CM700 after MX980 is just a pure delight, even if we won't talk about the sound).
2x cheaper than MX980.
CM700 contra:
Fragile straight plug and fragile cable, which means that unless you're using these only on rare occasions, you will need to replace both plug and cable after a half of year or maybe earlier. That's the only reason i've purchased MX980: i had to ask someone to replace a plug of my CM700 a month after purchase (because i've used CM700 with an HDD players which have their socket on their bottom), to replace a cable another couple of month later (because, although i've used CM700 with care, the thread itself weakened inside of isolation), and then to ask someone to fix the connection between plug and cable every couple of month because i was unable to find someone who will make it strong enough to last for long.

Basically, as long as you're good with a soldering iron, i'd recommend you to purchase CM700 without a doubt. Otherwise, both CM700 and MX980 suffer from their respective grave shortcomings.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 32
yes ti is titanium, because of the different material housing, so maybe the sound can different a little, but why dont you just get their upgarde or new model CM707 instead the old CM700?

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 32
I quoted that deal a month or two back in a thread about the new Audio Technica earbud line. Hughes (who apparently are also Plugonit and an Amazon reseller) are on the list of Sennheiser distributers UK. They also have a retail outlet on my local high street. Also in UK Audio Affair have been selling both versions much below the old retail price (just had an anniversary sale a few weekends back which would've knocked another tenner off). I assume it's just a matter of selling off old discontinued stock.
What would put me off them is that there's not a lot you can do if they're a poor fit; most likely too big FWIR. Be fun trying to resell them here on HeadFI : "They are genuine. No really they are. Honestly...." :D

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
Well, maybe, but it seems that good earphones/headphones only increase their price when discontinued (as opposed to e.g. PCs).

Yes, this is the case with the CM700's in Asia, but these are probably unheard of in the UK.

Once there was a company in the U.S. selling a vintage Sony Discman model for wholesale price, around $30, they simply didn't know what they were worth on todays market or how to advertise them, now you can't even get them for less than ~$250.

I haven't seen any fakes of the BW version, have you?  Don't be sour at the price, you've had your pair for years. =p

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 32
I'm pretty convinced they're OK (stuck a few links at end of post). I also had a look a while back at resales on HeadFi of the CM700, and they only seem to sell for about £30 or so. Could be 'cos folks are very wary of fakes, or that buds are out of fashion, or the reason I gave (concern about fit), or maybe some not too flattering write ups here (about harsh treble and such). I've had a pm from someone who is interested and have noted kiteki's interest. I'm put off by how much delivery may inflate their cost and how much hassle may be involved (given that I'm not interested in making a profit and am lazy :D) If anyone can convince me there's a reasonably cheap and convenient way of getting them to you, I'll order a couple today.

Here's the link to Amazon UK sale :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATHCM700BW-Ear-Headphones/dp/B001BZC1I2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1291107737&sr=8-17
And Hughes appear on Audio Technica Site :
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/contact/buy.asp?pcode=CO4+0LQ&distance=100&type=Install&posted=true&x=44&y=12&offset=15
Also them on Whois :
http://whois.domaintools.com/hughesdirect.co.uk

EDIT:
Just found this :
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/469063/another-audio-technica-cm7sv-post

and this :
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-technica-ath-cm7-sv.html
who also do the C700Ti for £70 and do international delivery. There is good feedback for iHeadphones here on HeadFi.

I've just realised that the big delivery prices I was looking at were for Parcelforce whereas the Internatioanl Royal Mail prices might apply :
http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 32
Okay, that amazon link convinced me.
I'm so frustrated now... purchased a backup pair of CM700BW for $100 just couple of months ago, and now they're going for $50 or less...

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 32
Okay, that amazon link convinced me.
I'm so frustrated now... purchased a backup pair of CM700BW for $100 just couple of months ago, and now they're going for $50 or less...

Yes but probably not where you are. Beside that was undoubtedly a good deal for YOU if you like them that much. Have you got big lugholes by the way or is that a personal question? :D Do you have your own ideas as to why there is sometimes negative feedback on these (harsh treble etc)?

PS. Check my edit on my above post.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
Yes but probably not where you are. Beside that was undoubtedly a good deal for YOU if you like them that much.

It depends on what do you call "like". I absolute hate these for their cable and plug being so cheap and fragile; and i haven't yet found someone who will resolder replaced plug and cable so that it won't need another repair at least for several month.
I've used that backup CM700 for a month with NW-A847 (which has its socket on the bottom, for the straight plug); but now i'm using Zune, which has its socket on the top (for the right-angle plug), so that new CM700 are collecting dust right now (i don't want for them to broke in a week).
By the way, i've purchased my first CM700Ti for $80 two years ago, in the same store.

Quote:
Have you got big lugholes by the way or is that a personal question?  Do you have your own ideas as to why there is sometimes negative feedback on these (harsh treble etc)?

Well, if my earholes are big, then the earholes of those who like Sennheiser MX980 are just damn huge. I'm experiencing pain after hour or two of using MX980.
And what about negative feedback on sound, i believe that's all about tastes. I like that clear and detailed sound, and hate bassy MX980; others are bassheads and like MX980 and hate CM700 and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back