What the best?
Jan 31, 2003 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

meech

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a pair of interconnects to link my SACD player to my RA-1>RS1's.

All I need from you guys is this.

Just tell me the name of the absolute best interconnect you've ever heard. Regardless of price, I would like to audition the best and then make a decision.

Jan 31, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 33
In my rigs, to my ears, best I've ever heard, regardless of price, was the Cardas Golden Reference. Acoustic Zen Silver Reference (haven't heard Silver Reference II yet) also ranks high up there, as does the TARA RSC Air 1 and Cardas Neutral Reference.

I may try the Nordost Valhalla, new Audioquest, or Kimber Select down the road. But, again, so far the Golden Reference has been top o' the heap.

Jan 31, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 33
I was actually considering that cable(cardas golden reference).
I was also looking at the audioquest anacondas.
Too many choices!

Anyone else???

Jan 31, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 33
The only two interconnects I have owned are the Cardas Neutral Reference and the Virtual Dynamic Signature IC's. I preferred the Sig's to the Neutral. I recommend the Sig's although they are not the best out there as the Nites are supposed to be even better.

Feb 1, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 33
meech,

Buy a new CD player first before you even think of buying something better than the Vipers.
Well, if I gotta vote it is for the Cardas Golden Cross. The Golden Reference might tell more of the truth, but the Golden Cross has midrange to die for.

Feb 1, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
....but the Golden Cross has midrange to die for.

Funny you should mention that -- I was on the phone with moogoesthecow today telling him the exact same thing about the Golden Cross, which is another wonderful cable. I'm editing my above post later to mention it. Based on its reputation, I was expecting darker, heavier sound with the Golden Cross in place, but it surprised me by being much more neutral than I expected (though certainly not the most neutral that I've tried, which ain't necessarily a bad thing depending on the rig and preferences). It's also more detailed than I anticipated. No doubt, though, that the magic is its midrange -- there's a bit of spotlighting on the midrange with the Golden Cross in my main rig, no doubt.

Feb 1, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 33
I've enjoyed the Kimber Select 1030, Silver Audio Appasionata, and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II. There really isn't a best among the three for me, they're all extremely good.

If you want something just because it's expensive, you could look at the Siltech G5 Compass Lake, or Tara Labs' The Zero.

Feb 1, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 33
CRESCENDOPOWER,

I understand why you feel I should upgrade my CD player before I worry about cables. The problem is that I'm currently using Audioquest bottom of the line(sidewinders). I absolutely hate them. I can't afford the cd player that I want right now. I don't want to buy cables that I know I going to replace, that's why I don't ever look at the Vipers or Pythons for that matter. I'd rather just get the Anacondas or Amazons and be done with it. Just like the cans that I bought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I went straight to the top with my first pair. I hate spending a lot of money on something only to have a week go by and I'm already dreaming about the next level up that I didn't get.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 33
The two best that I've heard are the Virtual Dynamic Nites, and the Cardas Golden Reference. The Cardas has slightly better detail, while the Nites have slightly better dynamics in my setup.

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 33
Everyone seems to think that the three Nordost Reference ICs are the best that money can buy, but they cost more than your headphone and SACD player put together
redface.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Everyone seems to think that the three Nordost Reference ICs are the best that money can buy, but they cost more than your headphone and SACD player put together
redface.gif

yeah if you want to spend $3,300.00 on a pair of wires
rolleyes.gif

and they're just plain ugly, too.

biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 33
More like plain. No audio jewelry there with Nordost.

FYI, I believe the Siltech G5 Compass Lake retails at $5k, and the Tara Labs The Zero at $10k. Makes the Valhalla seem cheap in comparison.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back