What the best notebook? - light, cheap, stable...
Sep 23, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Audio, why do you recommend the Imac as a desktop?

William (Will?)
Not as a desktop but as a notebook (but if I was doing basic stuff, it would work fine as a desktop too). I said stand alone as in: not part of an interactive network or WindowsNT domain. My main point was the OS-X, as it will let you run alot of Unix/Linux programs natively. From what I've seen, its the closest thing to one box that does it all. I'm thinking of getting one for my wife(
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
)for Christmas.

Sep 23, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Service Pack 3 is now available
tongue.gif

Highway

Service Pack 3 crashes about 3 out of 4 systems you load it on - use with caution. I wonder if M$ isn't trying to force 2000k users to XP. I suspect there will be a SP3a, as NT SP6 had a SP6a because of bugs.

Sep 23, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck

Service Pack 3 crashes about 3 out of 4 systems you load it on - use with caution. I wonder if M$ isn't trying to force 2000k users to XP. I suspect there will be a SP3a, as NT SP6 had a SP6a because of bugs.

wow, that sure has a lot to do with my question, "which notebook is the best".

rolleyes.gif

Oh well... It was a great thread while it lasted!!
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
wow, that sure has a lot to do with my question, "which notebook is the best".

rolleyes.gif

Oh well... It was a great thread while it lasted!!
tongue.gif

Sorry Flasken if I yanked us off coarse, but since the comment was made about SP3, I felt I'd better state why I specified SP2. Its just that I think a lot of problems people have attributed to hardware are really software problems. So before you decide on the box, you better be sure of what you are wanting to run on it.

Good luck!

Sep 23, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
Sorry Flasken if I yanked us off coarse, but since the comment was made about SP3, I felt I'd better state why I specified SP2. Its just that I think a lot of problems people have attributed to hardware are really software problems. So before you decide on the box, you better be sure of what you are wanting to run on it.

Good luck!

well, in my oppinion, win2000 is too damn slow for any notebook, it would be a shame... My father uses it and it takes AGES just to frickin boot... I guess OSX would be the other extreme. (or is that only when waking from sleep mode?? I just recall turning on a mac once and ZING, it was already running....)

Sep 23, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

well, in my oppinion, win2000 is too damn slow for any notebook, it would be a shame... My father uses it and it takes AGES just to frickin boot... I guess OSX would be the other extreme. (or is that only when waking from sleep mode?? I just recall turning on a mac once and ZING, it was already running....)

I admit the boot for win2000 is doggy. The whole NT family is slower to boot than Win9x/ME or Macs. But if you aren't wanting to REboot 2-3 times a day, I'd still recommend 2k or a Mac.

Sep 23, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

The whole NT family is slower to boot than Win9x/ME

Not on my laptop (P233MMX w/96mb RAM running NT4). Win98 is a dog to boot and to run, even compared to NT4. Win95 was the fastest M$ OS on this machine, Linux is fastest of all.

Sep 23, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

I guess OSX would be the other extreme. (or is that only when waking from sleep mode?? I just recall turning on a mac once and ZING, it was already running....)

That would be sleep mode
wink.gif
OS X is designed to be left booted all the time (no shutdown/startup). Macs have always had a better sleep mode, but OS X's sleep mode is pretty incredible; hit a key and you're up and running in less than one second. In fact, it's almost too fast -- the OS wakes from sleep so quickly that it has to wait for the HD to spin back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back