What the best notebook? - light, cheap, stable...
Sep 21, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #46 of 68
Kelly, Macdef, thanks for your recent posts, I found them quite informative. As a crossplatformer I've seen and am still seeing what Macdef is describing as the differences among the two.
I also disagree about the stability of XP. It may be more stable than past operating systems, but what does that really say?
BTW Kelly, I have that powerbook you just described, and i love it (I'm still running 9.2.) Jaguar here I come, soon.

Sep 21, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Just as there is lots of cool shareware only for Windows, there's lots of cool shareware only for Mac. Plus pretty much any UNIX software can be run on a Mac (which explains a lot of the new interest in the Mac OS -- now that it's UNIX-based, a lot of UNIX users are switching over because they finally have a good interface
wink.gif
).

Just because the Mac has some good shareware that is not available on the PC does not mean that the numbers are anywhere near comparable. Of course, I'm sure things depend on what you do, but for any given task, I think the chance is much greater than that really neat piece of shareware is on the PC than it's on the Mac. The ability to run UNIX software is admittedly a very nice touch, though.

Quote:

Then there's the rather obvious point that seldom gets raised in this whole "more software" discussion: Say there are 50 text editors available for Mac, and 250 for Windows. Does the average user care? Not really. Especially if the best, or one of the best, is available for their platform. So for the average user the software argument really has no relevance (again, gamers and enterprise excepted).

But in a lot of cases the best in a particular category is not available on the Mac, where that is very rarely the case with the PC. Example: Dragon NaturallySpeaking is not available for the Mac. Anyone interested in the best of breed speech recognition is not going to get it on the Mac.

Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
I also really like the right-click that PCs have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Mac users do, too -- they've had it for years
wink.gif

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Quote:

To touch on a couple of the examples kelly gave, and you responded to, the best email clients on any platform are available for the Mac (in fact, good email clients is one area where Windows has always been really lacking).

Which email clients are the best and are only available for the Mac? Eudora, The Bat, Pegasus, PocoMail, and so many others are available for the PC...

Quote:

The multimedia apps (movie editing, CD/DVD burning, etc., both consumer and pro) available for the Mac are better than for Windows.

Can you give me some examples? One example of the opposite being true is Exact Audio Copy, which is considered by far the most accurate CD ripping program. It is only available for the PC.

Quote:

Transferring data? Pretty similar
wink.gif

That's possibly true in a broad sense, but it's certainly not true in the very hot p2p file sharing categories, some of the hottest programs are not available for the Mac (e.g. Kazaa).

Quote:

Web browsers are great on both platforms (you have IE and you have lots of other good clients on both).

But of course IE on Windows sometimes displays things a little differently than IE on Mac--and which do you think most web pages are designed for?

Quote:

Etc., Etc. Hi-end apps like Maya are available for both platforms. Overall, I'd instead give the advantage for "best of breed" software for the Mac for those areas where the software is available.

Do you have any examples of this?

Quote:

Finally, when considering "software availability," you also have to be fair and consider the powerful services that come built-into Mac OS that Windows can't touch.

I agree that the services you mention are nice. IIS really doesn't compete (esp. when you have to pay an arm and a leg for the full version!). But of course all this software IS freely available for Windows. It just takes a little extra time to install.

I appreciate your spirit of trying to keep everyone informed, by the way. I don't think Macs are bad computers. I just don't see any great advantage they have over PCs, unless one really prefers the OS X interface. PCs though to me do seem to have some significant advantages over Macs right now.

With regards to the ease of installation and dealing with new hardware, XP is in my experience the best OS Microsoft has put out. However, a lot of people expect to use it with home-built or clone-shop-built PCs that aren't put together by people with much knowledge or who do much testing. Thus they get problems. This is the dual-edged sword of cheap and widely diverse hardware availability. In essence, I don't think putting together a quality PC is as easy as it looks. The answer is to buy from a good vendor that tests its parts properly, like Dell.

Sep 21, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
BTW Kelly, I have that powerbook you just described, and i love it (I'm still running 9.2.) Jaguar here I come, soon.

Oh cool, then maybe you can help me out. Is there anything better about the new iBooks over your machine other than the combodrive?
I'd love to just go out and buy the best PowerBook, you know, but $3800 is a bit much for me.

Sep 21, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #49 of 68
Shivohum, go to the forum where the developer for the EAC program resides (www.audiocoding.com) and get his response concerning itunes, IMO a better mp3 manager than anything PC have to offer, and it's free.
It sounds like the crux of your argument has to do with PC's being "better" because of the variety the platorm offers. I don't need 10 options to choose from, I need one that works. 9 out of 10 times I can get that with a Mac, and in that case odds are I could get one not only that works, but that works better. As far a file sharing, check out www.versiontracker.com and I'm sure you'll see plenty of programs for the Mac just as good as those for PC. And to be honest, IE performs better on my Mac than on my PC (i.e. never need to close)

And don't get me started on Dell...

If you've had grat experiences with XP, excellent, I'm sure the majority of XP users have. But the percentage of XP users who have consistent problems is definitely higher than it should be for what it is, and I'm pretty sure that percentage is higher than that of those who use a Mac OS. As much as I moan about my PC I'll continue to use it until I can fully crossover to the Mac, but XP is not what it's supposed to be, and IMO the across the board quality is not good. And that shouldn't be.

Kelly, truth be told I'd have been happy with one of the new ibooks. I got the powerbook onlt because I got an outrageous deal. Mine's a G4 500 MgH. I don't know the difference betwn the G4 and G3, but a G3 700 MgH has got to be comparable. If you like the bigger screen (mine's 15 in.) go with an older powerbook, if not I'd say an Ibook is a good way to go, Combo drive, larger HD, if you don't want to lay out the 4G.
If you want to go wha tthe people at the Apple store tell me, the say it performs just as well as a New ibook would.

Sep 21, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #50 of 68
Flasken: If your brother doesn't want an iMac, and in case an IBM would be to expensive, I'd consider an Acer - the cheapest TravelMate series (225?) could already do the job...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfrd / lini

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #51 of 68
WOW!!

Lots of great replies here.. My thread has turned into an interesting discussion, thanks for replies all.

And let me just admit, I think you have finally convinced me to convert from the Dark Side to the White side!!
wink.gif
Yup, Mac it is!!!

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 68
Quote:

Shivohum, go to the forum where the developer for the EAC program resides (www.audiocoding.com) and get his response concerning itunes, IMO a better mp3 manager than anything PC have to offer, and it's free.

Why? Does he think itunes has ripping capabilities that equal EAC's?

Quote:

I don't need 10 options to choose from, I need one that works. 9 out of 10 times I can get that with a Mac, and in that case odds are I could get one not only that works, but that works better.

Could you give me some examples? I'm just curious. I know a lot of people swear by BBEdit, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Quote:

But the percentage of XP users who have consistent problems is definitely higher than it should be for what it is, and I'm pretty sure that percentage is higher than that of those who use a Mac OS.

The issue is how many of those problems are genuinely related to the OS and how many are unfairly blamed on it due to the usage of shoddy hardware or software.

Sep 21, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I didn't know Maya was out for Mac -- I guess that shows how long I've been out of that business. Very interesting. Still, you'd want a desktop for that (even if it were a G4).

Yeah, a nice dualie would work better than a laptop
wink.gif

Quote:

I'm a little more suspicious about C# and the .Net platform in general coming to Mac, at least in an official capacity. It wouldn't surprise me to see some kid trying to write a compiler but if you mean MicroSoft is actually expanding to the Mac, shoot me some relevant links so I don't have to crawl their wasteland of a website.

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/17161.html
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/e...4-10browne.asp

Those are the two things I've read.

Quote:

But man, Java Mac programmer, talk about having the best bragging rights of anyone in the unemployment line.

LOL! Although to be fair, Java is supposed to be platform-independent
wink.gif

Quote:

I think the one I was looking at was about two years old, but had a 15" screen, ~500MhZ, DVD only drive and seems to go for about $1200 on the used market. Am I off?

Sound about right. I'd guess 1.5 years or so (that model was introduced in 1/01, and discontinued in 10/01). The biggest drawback on that model nowadays is the video card, which is only an 8MB Rage Mobility 128; OS X really benefits from 16MB or more.

Quote:

The new PowerBooks are only a few ounces more in weight and only an inch thick with the lid closed. I think I can handle the size.

True. The bigger issue is the width/height. But if it's not a big deal to you, good
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It's certainly hard to imagine Macdef being argumentative in another forum.
wink.gif

Hey, c'mon, I was trying not to sound argumentative here
wink.gif

Quote:

Well written response, Mac. It's easy to take pause before throwing oneself into an owners club that seems like a communist cult from the outside and that stigma has hurt Apple far more than anything else. They do make good products and I agree that responses like this are a little easier to stomach than most of the propoganda rhetoric that most Mac drones who have never used a PC or Unix system spout.

Thx, Kelly. I agree, and I think that some of the pro-Mac people are really over the top (or is it overboard?). Then again, it's also fair to say that for every Mac user who's hyper-fanatical, there's a PC user who is clueless about UNIX and Mac but rags on them
wink.gif
If you think people are fanatical about headphones, go to a forum with real platform wars
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

But in a lot of cases the best in a particular category is not available on the Mac, where that is very rarely the case with the PC. Example: Dragon NaturallySpeaking is not available for the Mac. Anyone interested in the best of breed speech recognition is not going to get it on the Mac.

You have a good point there. The Mac side has ViaVoice, which is good; however, I've heard really good things about DNS, and I'm pretty sure it's generally considered to be better than ViaVoice.

Quote:

Which email clients are the best and are only available for the Mac? Eudora, The Bat, Pegasus, PocoMail, and so many others are available for the PC...

In terms of overall clients, Entourage is IMO the best for any platform, due to its combination of features, interface, flexibility, and scriptability. Eudora for Mac is overall a better client than the Windows version for some of the same reasons (and to be fair, some people like Eudora Mac better than Entourage -- a bit more features via x-codes, but the interface isn't as good). Then you have clients like MailSmith made explicitly for the coders -- full grep implementation in both GUI and command-line form (LOL, this is email!). There are also at least 10 other viable commercial clients available, plus all the shareware and freeware clients. (It actually amazes me that so many commercial clients are still viable.) Plus, almost all Mac email clients fully support AppleScript (kind of like macros/VBA on Windows, only much easier to learn). http://www.apple.com/applescript/ <-- very cool feature of the OS

My favorite client for Windows is probably Pegasus, thanks to its flexibility and feature list, but I still think that the Mac clients are much better. Then you have disasters like Outlook, which is the biggest pile of steaming @#$# on the market in terms of not adhering to standards, not being able to quote properly, adding spurious attachments and unnecessary junk to messages, etc., etc., etc.
wink.gif
(Being a mailing list administrator for a few years gave me a whole new perspective on email clients
smily_headphones1.gif
) It's really quite interesting -- the Mac developers at Microsoft use the RFCs as if they're the Bible; the Windows coders apparently think RFC means Redmond Fried Chicken.
soapbox.gif

wink.gif

Quote:

The multimedia apps (movie editing, CD/DVD burning, etc., both consumer and pro) available for the Mac are better than for Windows.

Quote:

Can you give me some examples?

At the consumer level, the i-apps (iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD) are the best options on the market, and much better than the stuff included with WindowsXP. At the pro level, you have things like Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc. that are better than their Windows counterparts. To be fair, since there is such a high concentration of multimedia professionals using Macs, it follows that the better tools will be there.

Quote:

One example of the opposite being true is Exact Audio Copy, which is considered by far the most accurate CD ripping program. It is only available for the PC.

EAC is more accurate than other rippers simply because it extracts audio data bit-by-bit, making multiple passes until it gets it right. According to the guys who developed Toast Audio Extractor for Mac, it does the same thing; but there's also the freeware AudioCDRescue, which was originally designed to "rescue" damaged audio CDs, but has become popular for the same reason EAC is popular on the Windows side -- it continues to make passes until it's extracted the data perfectly (or until it realizes that the CD is damaged too badly to do so
wink.gif
). This is an example of what I was saying in my earlier message -- even if an app for one platform is not available for another, chances are there is a substitute.

Quote:

That's possibly true in a broad sense, but it's certainly not true in the very hot p2p file sharing categories, some of the hottest programs are not available for the Mac (e.g. Kazaa).

There are Mac clients available for almost all the file-sharing services; when the service itself doesn't provide one, third-party developers generally do. Kazaa is one of the exceptions -- there is only a "shadow" client for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

But of course IE on Windows sometimes displays things a little differently than IE on Mac--and which do you think most web pages are designed for?

This used to be a big problem; it's not really much of one any more, since the IE Mac development team has done a very good job adapting IE Mac to the non-standard way in which pages are written for IE Windows. aeberbach said he's had some pages render more slowly on IE Mac than IE Windows; I haven't had that problem, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:

Etc., Etc. Hi-end apps like Maya are available for both platforms. Overall, I'd instead give the advantage for "best of breed" software for the Mac for those areas where the software is available.

Quote:

Do you have any examples of this?

I gave a few above -- things like Office, the i-apps, email clients, etc. Another one is Office-alternatives (AppleWorks is better than any of the "cheap" office suites for Windows). I personally prefer BBEdit to any hi-end text editor/code editor on Windows. But in areas like games, while those that come to the Mac tend to be the better ones from the Windows side (and the delay isn't nearly as long as it used to be), there still a lot more games for Windows, and that's one area where variety~=better.

Quote:

With regards to the ease of installation and dealing with new hardware, XP is in my experience the best OS Microsoft has put out. However, a lot of people expect to use it with home-built or clone-shop-built PCs that aren't put together by people with much knowledge or who do much testing. Thus they get problems. This is the dual-edged sword of cheap and widely diverse hardware availability. In essence, I don't think putting together a quality PC is as easy as it looks. The answer is to buy from a good vendor that tests its parts properly, like Dell.

I agree with you completely. I think too many people tout the advantages of "build-it-yourself" PCs without realizing that the average consumer isn't in the position to do so, nor do they want to spend their time dealing with the potential problems than can occur. I recommend Windows machines to people on a regular basis, and unless they're truly geeks who like to build things themselves, I tell them to go with an established vendor with a good reputation and good service.

Sep 21, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #55 of 68
Shivohum:
1) Yes, He believes it to be a very high quality program for ripping. Not perfect, but high quality.
2) How about itunes, imovie, idvd....
3) Seeing how XP is geared to be the be-all and end-all of platforms, I believe the fact that It can't handle or work well with all that's thrown with it is or should be an issue. As far as the hardware, I agree with you, but In the forums and other avenues people use to state and complain about problems, most of these people didn't build their own computers, they bought them from Dell, Gateway, etc. I assume the DIYer's would go about trying to fix the problems rather than be vocal about it.

Let me ask you, have you actually spent more than 5 minutes with a Mac, say in the last year or two?

Sep 21, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #56 of 68
Thanks for the info on the email clients. I'll have to check Entourage out some time, although I hear it's similar to Outlook. Do note though, that some windows email clients, like The Bat, also enjoy regular expression searching.

Quote:

At the consumer level, the i-apps (iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD) are the best options on the market, and much better than the stuff included with WindowsXP.

Is there any way in which these programs are the best on the market other than the question of interface? Interface is personal preference, and while I agree that some are patently bad and others spectacular, it seems hard to pin best-of-breed solely on that. What sorts of features do they have that PC equivalents lack--especially in the shareware or freeware arenas?

I will concede in any case that a program installed with the OS which is easy to use is definitely a choice amenity. Still, it's not as if Windows XP doesn't possess many valuable and exclusive items too:

System Restore (the most important difference between 2000 and XP)
Many more drivers than OS X
MSN Messenger
Netmeeting
Remote Assistance and Control

Quote:

This is an example of what I was saying in my earlier message -- even if an app for one platform is not available for another, chances are there is a substitute.

This is true, but to me, Windows represents security: it's the industry standard. The newest, the best, the most well-known will always come fastest to the Windows marketplace. There is a comfort in that, I think, and I think it's true for most users.

However, I am coming to see that my viewpoint may not be as valid for many people who aren't power users. They may simply want their computer to do a few tasks (like Flasken's brother) and the interface and style may be practically *everything*. For them perhaps Macs are the way.

--

William Goody wrote:

Quote:

In the forums and other avenues people use to state and complain about problems, most of these people didn't build their own computers, they bought them from Dell, Gateway, etc.

Yes, and what percentage are those people of all the people who have bought Dells and Gateways? And how many of them install badly written software on their computer? I certainly agree that PCs should be easier to use and more idiot-proof, though. I'm just not sure that the difference between Macs and PCs on this point is as stark as you make it out to be.

Quote:

I assume the DIYer's would go about trying to fix the problems rather than be vocal about it.

Certainly not. The forums are the lifeblood of a smart DIY-er. If someone else has had your problem--and someone else has had it--you can often find the solution to it in 30 seconds instead of 3 days, either by seaching the archives or by posting your question.

Quote:

t me ask you, have you actually spent more than 5 minutes with a Mac, say in the last year or two?

Yes. They're not bad machines, as I said, but to me they feel slow. I like the Windows taskbar, for instance, and I think going up to that icon in the upper-right hand corner of the screen to change programs is annoying. I'm probably way behind the curve here though and am revealing my ignorance
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #57 of 68
Shivohum, feel free to go into any forum and track what percentage of people have what type of computer and make what type of complaint in order to pinpoint your arguement. Start with PCMag and go from there. If you're not aware of these complaints already, you may be in for a rude awakening.
You are absolutely correct. XP is the standard and may represent the most security. My belief is that as such it should be able to do more that it does for a lot of people, be a little more forgiving and uniersal, as well as user friendly. I won't deny it's the standard, and your preference for it is certainly not wrong. But for what it is, IMHO it underachieves. I believe it can and should be better.

I was wrong in my earlier statement about the Diy'ers. You are indeed correct. I should say that they pose different complaints and questions than non Diy'ers. Take them out of the mix and you'll still find a sizeable amount of dissatisaction and problems, more than there should be.
Nothing is perfect I understand. There really is no be all and end all. I just don't think windows comes close enough.

As far as the programs mentioned being the best. It's definitely more than the interface. There are again many articles, discussions, and sites which tackle this, and come to that very conclusion that these (itunes, imovie, etc) are better. But don't underestimate interface as a big plus, and a good reason for being preferred.

I don't believe you're showing any ignorance at all. You have your preferences and that's good. You also see that what works for you may not work for other situations. That's being open minded. Some of the things which persuade you from using a mac (icons vs taskbar) are of course valid and bothered me in the past as well. Sometimes you, like all of us, lean on your preferences too much. Lord knows I'm guilty of that as well.

Sep 21, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Thanks for the info on the email clients. I'll have to check Entourage out some time, although I hear it's similar to Outlook.

It's actually very different from Outlook; well, it's similar in that it includes a calendar, to-do list, and contacts, but apart from that they're different. In fact, there's an Outlook client for Mac, too. Outlook is a proprietary Exchange Server client; Entourage is a POP/IMAP client, and is much more powerful and extensible (and has a better interface).

Quote:

Is there any way in which these programs are the best on the market other than the question of interface? Interface is personal preference, and while I agree that some are patently bad and others spectacular, it seems hard to pin best-of-breed solely on that. What sorts of features do they have that PC equivalents lack--especially in the shareware or freeware arenas?

While it's true that declaring something the "best" is to some degree subjective, much of the accolades that the i-apps have received have been because they represent a very good combination of features, power, and usability. Does that mean they include every single feature found in every competing product? No. But they are consistently rated the highest by both users and reviewers.

And like someone else mentioned, never underestimate the value of good interface. For example, the "home movie" application that comes with many new XP computers is fairly bad. Put new users in front of it and most will give up in frustration. iMovie, on the other hand, is easy to understand and easy to use. "Intuitive" is an adjective that I frequently find myself using to describe Apple software -- it works the way you expect it to work.

Quote:

Still, it's not as if Windows XP doesn't possess many valuable and exclusive items too:

System Restore (the most important difference between 2000 and XP)
Many more drivers than OS X
MSN Messenger
Netmeeting
Remote Assistance and Control

System Restore is a VERY welcome addition (especially given the propensity of older versions of Windows to require a system re-install
wink.gif
). I also agree that it's great that Netmeeting is built-in.

But I don't necessarily agree with you about "many more drivers" necessarily being an advantage or an exclusive. Keep in mind that many peripherals that require drivers on Windows work without drivers on Mac OS X (mice, USB storage, FireWire devices, keyboards, etc.). In addition, because OS X includes CUPS (http://www.cups.org/), OS X provides complete printing services for almost every PostScript or raster printer ever made. So X doesn't need as many drivers as Windows does.

But in the end, both XP and X are pretty much plug-and-play. You simply plug the peripheral in and it works. For example, I plugged in a Samsung USB laser printer the other day, and I didn't need to do anything -- it was automatically configured and showed up as an available printer in every print dialog without me needing to touch a thing. Plus since I have Printer Sharing enabled, it was also available for every other computer on my network (and for those computers running X, with no configuration).

MSN Messenger also works on the Mac (both Microsoft's own MSNM client, and via any of the third-party multi-chat clients out there). And OS X includes Remote Access, SSH, and Remote Apple Events, and Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client is a free download
wink.gif
[Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to argue -- I'm just trying to give you a bit more info about what's there and what's no
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Quote:

This is true, but to me, Windows represents security

What about the >50 security bulletins so far this year that have been issu... oh, not that kind of security
evil_smiley.gif
(just kidding)

Quote:

The newest, the best, the most well-known will always come fastest to the Windows marketplace.

To some degree, I agree with you. A lot of stuff comes first to Windows because it has such a huge market share. But there's also some amount of the perception vs. reality thing going on -- because of the small market share, when something new comes out for Mac, you don't hear about it.

Quote:

However, I am coming to see that my viewpoint may not be as valid for many people who aren't power users. They may simply want their computer to do a few tasks (like Flasken's brother) and the interface and style may be practically *everything*. For them perhaps Macs are the way.

Don't let the nice interface fool you; Mac OS X is UNIX
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a power user's dream. You can configure it any way you want it. You can compile open source software for it. You can write your own software. You have every feature, and every bit of power, of the most powerful UNIX system, or you can ignore all that and simply do things the easy way with a great interface. In my opinion, that's what makes the current Mac so great. Granted, it does have the MAJOR disadvantage that, well, it's not Windows, so it's not used by the majority of users. But at least it provides compatibility -- native Windows sharing built-in, file compatibility, Windows VPN, etc. So it's much more feasible to use a Mac and coexist with Windows PCs than it used to be. I tended to criticize the pre-X Mac OS quite a bit, I'm ecstatic about X precisely because I *am* a "power user."

Quote:

I like the Windows taskbar, for instance, and I think going up to that icon in the upper-right hand corner of the screen to change programs is annoying. I'm probably way behind the curve here though and am revealing my ignorance
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, the ability to switch between applications using option/alt-tab (just like on Windows) has been built into the OS for at least 4 or 5 years now, and the application menu you talk about doesn't even exist in OS X
wink.gif
OS X also has the Dock, which is kind of like the Windows TaskBar, but is a slightly different beast with a bit more functionality.

I would only use the word "ignorant" if you mean "not fully aware" -- you're certainly not lacking in any mental capacity, shiv
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #59 of 68
Preface: I am a complete platform agnostic when it comes to my own, or anyone else's computing. I have owned/built computers since 1979, and been in the IT business since 1985. I have worked with most of the operating systems used on mini-computers & pc since that time, as well as owning one or more pc representing each OS (including Amiga, and I still have a working Mac Plus on my shelf).

Man, this thread went a bit off-topic, no?
wink.gif

I get asked computer advice alot from friends and relatives who are my age and older. Many (no, most) of them have children of school age. They usually want the computer to perform double-duty for themselves & the children. Barring special needs, I almost always tell them to get whatever their child's school is using. That way they can easily reproduce the work they were being taught in school, and usually get the necessary software at a substantial discount. It also prevents the inevitable conversation explaining why the brand new computer they just bought won't run their kids educational program (without spending another $150 for software that will run it twice as slow in emulation). Back in the 80's this was still the Apple II series, even though IBM/MS-DOS ruled the business world, and even Apple had been thru several generations of Macs. In the late 80's and early 90's, Apple lost its foothold in the educational market, and PC-compatibles became more prevalent in elementary & high-schools. This is still the case, mostly due to cost factors. In fact, many universities require specific computers (or at least hardware standards) for their students. Many undergraduate & graduate majors require the use of specific software, and on a specific platform even if it exists for more than one OS. I know for a fact that Yale's IT departments will not "officially" talk to you if you have a Mac, when it comes to student support (not that internally they don't use them, they do). That may be important to a student. Other types of schools (ie. graphic design, video or music editing & production, etc.) are heavily Mac-biased. Others like 3D-design are still using UNIX-based workstations and network farms. Whatever your particular area or computing environment, go with that, not religious arguments about platform superiority.

BTW, Dragon's speech recognition software actually began on the Mac (as Dragon Dictate), and Apple had a large portion of the "adaptive" market until Dragon dropped them in favor of Windows. IBM's ViaVoice started on the Windows platform , and was much later ported to the Mac as well. Neither one works particularly well IMO, but Dragon is still considered by far the leader in that market. Virtually all new adaptive software & hardware developed in the past five years has been strictly on the PC/Windows platform. Try selling a Mac to a twenty-two year-old college student, who is paralyzed from the neck on down and has to write his disertation this year. Not gonna happen.

Face it, most people adhere to the 80/20 rule - they use 20% of their apps, 80% of the time, and vice-versa. Most of us have our own "killer app" or three. We know it. It doesn't matter what the interface is. If you need it, you will use it, and learn to use it as best it can because you have to. Do I use Word (on any platform) because I like it? Hell, no. But I have to work, and communicate with others. That is the real world: whatever it takes.
mad.gif

Me? Still running NT Workstation 4.0 SP6 at home and on my laptop (along with a Linux partition), and loving it! It's the "Rock of Gibraltar". Ok, USB and Firwire would be nice. But hey, what in life is perfect, right? If I could find a cheap legit license for W2K, I might upgrade, but otherwise I'm...
cool.gif

Sep 22, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #60 of 68
Well, I'd recommend either the iBook or an IBM. Both are fantastically well designed pieces of hardware.

If you can afford to save up a bit, of course, get a Powerbook G4 or an IBM X20+media slice+combo DVD/CDRW drive. I have the Powerbook and my dad has the IBM X20 - while I far prefer my PowerBook (the SCREEN! The SPACE! The nice big wide keyboard!), the IBM is a bit more portable (the media slice lets you shed a ton of weight at the yank of a lever, nice if you walk to school with a messenger bag).

I think when it comes to hardware, laptops in particular, IBM and Apple are both very very good at it - the rest are just cheap plastic POSes. (with one exception: a local Pacific Northwest company called Itronix, who beats both of them in terms of durability [my Itronix laptop is damn near indestructable, I can literally wash it off with a hose while using it, or drive a car over it] but is rather specialized.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back