What Speakers Do You Own?
Jan 23, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #241 of 280
Just recently bought a pair of AudioEngine A5 speakers. It sounds absolutely great so far, but I still don't have any stands for them for my glass/wooden desk.  I wonder if the desktop stands would make much of a difference...

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #242 of 280

Quote:
 I currently have a karan KI 180 amp with an esoteric xO5 cd player.  I am interested both the focal electra be 1028 and the magallan cello.  Any advice on which speaker to go for or their relative strengths/merits?

Wow I'd love to hear the Karan 180! I've always had my eye on that, and wondered. It must be amazing. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #243 of 280
Just went and got myself a pair of DALI LEKTOR 2's. Could not be happier!
Still working to get the placement right, though. Stupid tiny dorm apartment..

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #246 of 280
Wish I had the funds. I think I'm going to hang onto my current integrated for a couple more years and re-evaluate then. But thanks for mentioning it. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #249 of 280

New "bedside" setup is almost complete, i replaced my Fostex fullranges with a DIY project based on the Seas U18Rnx and the Fountek NeoCD 3.0 ribbon tweeters.

It's a biamped setup with active crossover, an LM1876 gainclone for the woofers and a Ta-2024 dedicated to the ribbons

I've also built the fourth order Linkwitz-Riley filter myself; Crossover frequency is now set at around 3kHz , but socket mount resistors and trimmers to individually adjust each of the four outputs allow for maximum flexibility, and i'm experimenting a bit to find the optimal balance.

The cabinets are 20L bottom ported, made of 19mm MDF, it's a rather uncommon solution for a bookshelf, but i wanted to experiment something completely different. The final finish is still to be decided, but they don't look bad even in plain MDF
biggrin.gif

How do they sound ? I've never heard any high end system, but to me they are absolutely spectacular, the bass is extremely fast and well controlled, and the Fountek ribbons really deliver an airy and detailed presentation, without a hint of harshness.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #251 of 280
Aperion Audio Intimus 5T's and a Aperion Audio Bravus 8A subwoofer. The best part of the deal was the main speakers were returned because someone wanted to upgrade but they weren't even 6 months old and I know a guy who works there so I got a very nice "friends and family" discount. I have a smallish living room so they work well for me. Oppo Universal player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 SE turntable and Peachtree Audio Nova in the same cherry colour. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #252 of 280
Purchased my first decent speakers yesterday at Guitar Center, a pair of Mackie Mr5's.  Absolutely love them so far and have been listening to them all day.  For the price, they sound great and it's nice not having to buy an amp and just connect them straight to my Burson 160D.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #255 of 280
KEF XQ 40's, 20's and 50c. Velodyne Optimum 12 subwoofer. They all run through a Denon 3310 receiver and an XPA-5 amp from Emotiva.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back