What Speakers Do You Own?
Jul 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #256 of 280
Revolver RW33 with Audio Alchemy Hermes speakers stand

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #257 of 280
Focal Chorus 714V which I like.  See focal.com (made in France, sounds like "foe-kal")

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #258 of 280
MR.png

Finally painted my DIY speakers, i chose a textured finish normally used to decorate furniture or walls, it' s made of three layers of different paint and has a metalized look, may not be everyone's taste but they look much better in real life and i believe something original is better than a failed attempt to replicate an industrial high-gloss finish like i did on some other works....

The red graph is the magnitude response of one channel with the final active crossover configuration: 2.8 kHz crossover frequency and about 6dB of padding to the ribbon tweeters to compensate for the higher sensitivity, it's measured at the listening spot using a simple Ecm8000 measurement mic. The second chart shows the measured response with a room correction convolution filter calculated by the DRC software, it's almost within +/- 2.5 dB from 200 Hz to 20 kHz, not bad even if i'm still unconvinced the result is better than uncorrected from a subjective point of view, need to experiment more;

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #259 of 280
Rega R1's and a Rega RS Vox.  Next years tax return=Rega R5's  :)

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #260 of 280
Energy C-100! I got them for ~$70 each and they sound way better than anything ever should at that price. When I pair them with my McIntosh 1500 they're vibrant and full of...well...energy 
tongue.gif

They don't quite match Dad's Energy RVS system nor do they even begin to compare with his Magnepan MMGs but they're still a great value.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #263 of 280

Quote:
Where did you get those stands Meliboeus?

I just made them out of some wood, then painted them black and applied those spikes on the underside with drive-in nuts. Some kind of stands were necessary because the speakers are bottom ported.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #264 of 280

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #266 of 280
JBL E80 Floorstanding Speakers in the Northridge line. I also have the matching center and E250P Subwoofer.

I had these for nearly 6-7 years and love them. I bought some $1000 Axiom speakers and ended up selling those within 6 months. Hated them.

I mostly use these for movies and never listen to music on them.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #267 of 280

Quote:
JBL E80 Floorstanding Speakers in the Northridge line. I also have the matching center and E250P Subwoofer.

I had these for nearly 6-7 years and love them. I bought some $1000 Axiom speakers and ended up selling those within 6 months. Hated them.

If you don't mind my asking, what didn't you like about the Axioms? That's what I am currently running. They're the M60 v2 with the v3 crossovers.
They are definitely a speaker you either love or hate. I have heard that from a lot of owners.
Because of they're higher sensitivity they sound great with tubes. It seems the tubes really bring out the mid-range capability of these speakers, but as I have heard from others, and have to agree with, the treble can be harsh at times. Maybe due to the titanium tweeter.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #269 of 280
I recently acquired a lovely pair of Linn Index MKII speakers, a Marantz amp and CD player for a grand total of... £25! 
biggrin.gif
 Bargain of a lifetime! Now I've added a Tannoy SFX which I got for £90 from Richer Sounds, discounted from £120!

Most awesome indeed! I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #270 of 280

I talked to the Axiom folks before I bought my speakers and they compared them to the K702, it was enough to know that was not what I wanted my HT to sound like so I bought an Aperion rig with an HSU sub. I've been pretty happy with them but the top end could stand a bit more sparkle. I'll probably upgrade my 58" plasma to a 65" before I upgrade my speakers though
tongue.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back