What Speakers Do You Own?
Sep 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #123 of 280

JBL 4311 (5 of them for home theater and 4 for my main stereo set-up)

Akai SW-170 Studio Monitors. That's a 15 inch woofer! Some of the best sounding speakers I have heard. These are my other stereo set-up. I use these to double check important material.

Mackie HR-824 Active Near Field Monitors. These are my workhorses.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #124 of 280
Nice stuf LFF! I'd like to hear some good moniters someday
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #125 of 280

Quote:
Nice stuf LFF! I'd like to hear some good moniters someday
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" width="" />

Thanks! Try to look for some used JBL 4311's. You can sometimes snag a pair for well under $300! A real steal IMHO considering the sound quality and spl these things can put out. What I love about them is that they really rock out at loud volumes but are equally as good at low volumes without losing the details and impact - something which is hard for many speakers to do.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #126 of 280

It's an old photo still work in progress, now at least i've a proper table for the electronics.

Speakers are DIY made of 25mm thick MDF, weighting 50kg each, the woofer is loaded in a transmission line, i've done all the woodworking and soldering, the project used is not mine.

They're a classic two way design with passive crossover, drivers are from Ciare, which is a popular italian manufacturer;
Both 1.2" silk dome tweeter and 10" bicone extended range have 150W continuous power handling and high sensitivity, as they are intended for PA application,that means high spl are easy even with my modest 45W entry level Denon amp. I use my laptop as source and have implemented a room correction convolution filter which to my experience is extremely effective in controlling nasty room resonances and linearizing frequency response; 

It's nothing really expensive but at least have the raw membrane area and power to handle any genre well, try blasting some Neurosis on these and you will be happy
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #127 of 280

Quote:

It's an old photo still work in progress, now at least i've a proper table for the electronics.

Speakers are DIY made of 25mm thick MDF, weighting 50kg each, the woofer is loaded in a transmission line, i've done all the woodworking and soldering, the project used is not mine.

They're a classic two way design with passive crossover, drivers are from Ciare, which is a popular italian manufacturer;
Both 1.2" silk dome tweeter and 10" bicone extended range have 150W continuous power handling and high sensitivity, as they are intended for PA application,that means high spl are easy even with my modest 45W entry level Denon amp. I use my laptop as source and have implemented a room correction convolution filter which to my experience is extremely effective in controlling nasty room resonances and linearizing frequency response; 

It's nothing really expensive but at least have the raw membrane area and power to handle any genre well, try blasting some Neurosis on these and you will be happy
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />

Nice! Would love to give those a listen and run through with my demo CD. I'm a big fan of passive crossovers and transmission line designs. How much did the total project cost (if you don't mind saying)?

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #128 of 280
Very little, around 120€ in wood and materials, less than 200€ for the drivers and around 80€ for decent crossover components.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #129 of 280

Quote:
Very little, around 120€ in wood and materials, less than 200€ for the drivers and around 80€ for decent crossover components.

That is a good bargain!

Very nice work BTW. Wish I could be that handy.

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #131 of 280
Ive just got two paradigm monitor 7's v5 that have been relegated to surround duty, along with some Emotiva ERM-1's that i use as my mains, and a Epik Sentinel Subwoofer(in less that 1000 cubic feet, its a bit overkill
biggrin.gif
) all powered by a 13 year old yamaha DSP-A1 reciever, which is a beast of an amp, back when recievers actually weighed something...i got lucky and got it as a hand me down from my dad

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #133 of 280
Just one set, just a pair of Quad 22L's. I love them but I do have the urge to try some electrostatics but since i'm a big skint scaredy cat the urge is nothing but.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #134 of 280

As you can tell, I'm quite poor
frown.gif
, but for around $90 these are darn good. They're definitely way better than the Logitech X-540s I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back