What Speakers Do You Own?
Nov 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #166 of 280

Quote:
I liked the MMG's, but honestly didn't have room to place them properly and they didn't like the curtains behind them. Sucked up all the depth.

That makes sense. It actually surprises me that Magnepan makes a wall-mounted planar speaker, which to me seems quite illogical.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #168 of 280
Monitor Audio 3
DIY bookshelf monitor
Bose 901 VI
Sound Dynamics RPT-P100 powered towers
Sound Dynamics RTS-7 towers
DIY sub
SVS Ultra sub
Outlaw LFM-1 sub
Definitive Technology CLR-2500 powered center
Aperion Intimus 5DB surround
Aperion Intimus 6B bookshelf

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #169 of 280

Quote:
I took a back shot the same day but didn't post it after I realized how not good it looked.  But here ya go.

I had Bottlehead Paramours (first version) hooked up for a while, but the new living arrangements don't really coincide with them at the moment, so a Griffin Powerwave Class D amp hooked up to a Mac with a USB cable is what it is now, and it's just backround music at this point.  

No sub.  Yeah, they're a little anemic until you can get the room vibrating with them.  
biggrin.gif

I don't know how many they've sold, but I have #74 and 75.  Back from about 2003 maybe?

nice Eee Pee. Bottlehead!

Quote:
The Awesome Silverline Audio Minuets. (those would be the small ones in front of the maggies
wink_face.gif
)
Paired up with a sub they make an awesome full range system with killer imaging. (HSU VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer hiding in the corner)

OR....
Silverline Audio Preludes!
Down to 35Hz with a pair of 3" drivers?
Yeah, they really do.

Are you using the SEX for the silverlines Todd?

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #170 of 280

Quote:
Quote:
I got rid of the MMG's and sub.

Got a Vandersteen 2CE instead. 

Did you not like the MMGs? I've been contemplating getting a pair for a while.

The MMG's are great. I highly recommend them to anybody that's considering them (new or used)

Some notes about them...
Get them straight as possible, consider fabricating your own stands
You might need a subwoofer if you demand bass below 50-ish Hz
I suggest experimenting with placement (how far away from back/front walls, and side walls)
Consider raising them from the floor.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM or email me.

For what its worth, I got rid of the Vandersteen 2CE's and picked up a Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.2.
The 2CE's aren't bad speakers however I've owned them before and I wanted something new.
These Paradigms are nice however I hate how heavy they are - more than 100lbs each!

I'm thinking about getting used MG1.6/QR's next because I'm already missing the Magnepan sound.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #171 of 280

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got rid of the MMG's and sub.

Got a Vandersteen 2CE instead. 

Did you not like the MMGs? I've been contemplating getting a pair for a while.

The MMG's are great. I highly recommend them to anybody that's considering them (new or used)

Some notes about them...
Get them straight as possible, consider fabricating your own stands
You might need a subwoofer if you demand bass below 50-ish Hz
I suggest experimenting with placement (how far away from back/front walls, and side walls)
Consider raising them from the floor.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM or email me.

For what its worth, I got rid of the Vandersteen 2CE's and picked up a Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.2.
The 2CE's aren't bad speakers however I've owned them before and I wanted something new.
These Paradigms are nice however I hate how heavy they are - more than 100lbs each!

I'm thinking about getting used MG1.6/QR's next because I'm already missing the Magnepan sound.

Thanks! Magnepans certainly have at least one truly impressive trait when properly set up: they almost always have the best transparency of any speakers I hear. Unfortunately I think that even if I want that bass, I probably shouldn't try it, since my apartment and big bass don't really get along. I'm certainly jealous of anyone with 1.6s, and I've really been lusting after the new 1.7 and a Parasound Halo.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #172 of 280
I'm in an apartment as well. Lets just say the neighbors were not pleased when the 2CE's 10" woofer kicked in.

With that being said, try to find some 2CE's, its like a blend of Magnepan and a box speaker.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #173 of 280

Quote:
Are you using the SEX for the silverlines Todd?

The SEX amp belonged to a friend who needed me to check something on it, but I did try to drive the Silverlines with it. 1.8 watts didn't even come close to making it happen.
In spite of what the Silverline website says, the Preludes are actually have a sensitivity of around 87 db according to Stereophile's measurements.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #174 of 280
I only have a humble pair of Paradigm Titans. They do scale well, and that model always have.  A pair of Harbeth Monitor 20s are crying out for me to buy them at a local shop, especially since they are half retail price or thereabouts.  My wife, however, is crying out for me to stop. With a new, wide desk, however....

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #175 of 280
Klipsch Heresy - Infinity RS2 - Axiom M22 - Klipsch KG 1.2 - Sansui SP 7500X

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #176 of 280
H.T.

Klipsch RF-83's (main), Klipsch RC-64 (center), Klipsch RS-64 (rears), old 12" Cerwin Vega sub.
Oppo DV-981HD DVD player, Outlaw 950 Pre-amp, Outlaw 750 amp

2-Channel

Klipsch Vertical Cornwalls
McIntosh C-28 pre-amp, McIntosh MC-2105 amp, Marantz 2238B (used as tuner)
Oppo DV-980H CD player, Thorens 160 TT

2-Channel (Bedroom)

Klipsch Vertical Cornwalls
Harman Kardon 730, Sony CD player

2-Channel (Spare Bedroom)

Klipsch Heresy
Yamaha CR-1020, Sony CD player

James

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #178 of 280

Living room:

Monitor Audio: 2 Silver RS6, 1 RS LCR, 2 RSFX (would love to have a pair of RS1 in rosenut, but I have not found them yet)

Bedroom

4 NHT SB2s, 1 NHT SC1

Home office

2 Insignia NS-B2111

Kitchen

2 Radio Shack Presidian Speakers

Sunroom

Insignia outdoor speakers

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #179 of 280
Hi My first post, please take it easy with me :)

These are in use now and are a one off transmission line speakers with a seperate filter unit.

These were a prototype speaker system which I showed back in the 90's at the London international HI-FI show when I had a small audio company.
The huge box in the middle is a forest filter system designed by us. Had to remove the room door to fit it through!

I no longer build or design speakers.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #180 of 280
Hi My first post, please take it easy with me :)

These are in use now and are a one off transmission line speakers with a seperate filter unit.

These were a prototype speaker system which I showed back in the 90's at the London international HI-FI show when I had a small audio company.
The huge box in the middle is a forest filter system designed by us. Had to remove the room door to fit it through!

I no longer build or design speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back