What Songs do you listen to testing the Bass thump/extention?
May 3, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #92 of 145
Also check calvertron - blame game and future proof.

I rarely get to share tracks that I think are sick. The people I work with are old and most of my friends hate electronic music. I want my old friends back.

May 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #93 of 145

Head over to the Electronic Music Exchange thread I started in the Music forum and throw down some links. I'm sure those guys would appreciate it.
Quote:
Also check calvertron - blame game and future proof.

I rarely get to share tracks that I think are sick. The people I work with are old and most of my friends hate electronic music. I want my old friends back.

May 4, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #94 of 145
I'm not much of a basshead, but I use a few discs to evaluate bass:

DSoTM, Pink Floyd. The heartbeat at the beginning and end are great.

Violator, Depeche Mode. Some great, low synth beats here.

1812 Overture, Tchaikovsky. It actually calls for cannon blasts in the score. This is badass classical and a great test of bass.

I spin all of these on SACD.

May 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #95 of 145
Never thought I'd think of SACD and 1812 as being badass, but you changed that.

Side note...God I want an SACD player.

Quote:
I'm not much of a basshead, but I use a few discs to evaluate bass:

DSoTM, Pink Floyd. The heartbeat at the beginning and end are great.

Violator, Depeche Mode. Some great, low synth beats here.

1812 Overture, Tchaikovsky. It actually calls for cannon blasts in the score. This is badass classical and a great test of bass.

I spin all of these on SACD.

May 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #98 of 145

Michael Stearns - Encounter: A Journey In The Key of Space (1988)

I have not found it possible to reproduce this bass on headphones

May 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #99 of 145
My choices are: Thunder, on the album by the same name, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. Also: "You can call me Al" from Paul Simon's Graceland. Bakathi Kumalo's fretless bass lines are great. Sorry for such a well-known choice.

May 5, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #101 of 145
The opening to Massive Attack's 'Angel'. The double thump and click are very hard to reproduce without distorting.

May 5, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #102 of 145
You could try Crookers ft Tim Burgess - Lone White Wolf

If you are going to listen from youtube, choose 720p. it reproduces sounds that are not reproduced from the lowest res. The video is funny but a jest.

I am not a basshead, at least in the truly sense of the word. I not use it just for bass, but because at the same time I can test immediately acoustic guitars, ambient/background sounds, and ...bass. And obviously how an headphone reproduces the whole. 

May 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #103 of 145
I think David Bowie's Soul Love is a great song to test not just bass thump, but the ability to follow the bassline behind it. Definitely my go-to song for testing bass.

May 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #104 of 145
I don't think you can match the bass in about any organ piece by Bach.  The obvious choice would be to start with a good recording of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.  Beyond the ultra-low bass of the biggest organ pipes, you have the fact that the bass notes take a really long time to decay in a big cathedral setting.

Speaking of toccatas, you should also try a piece called "Toccata" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer on their album Welcome Back, My Friends...  It combines electronica, organ, and kettle drums.  And lots and lots of bass.

May 5, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #105 of 145

Quote:
The opening to Massive Attack's 'Angel'. The double thump and click are very hard to reproduce without distorting.

I agree, that's a great test for your rig's bass response.

I usually test my cans out on some Autechre tracks. Stuff like MCR Quarter has crazy deep booming bass that is tough to reproduce.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcaWhBpeSM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back