What Song Are You Using As Your Ring Tone?
Apr 6, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
To reduce a piece of music to souless, irritating bleeps (or highly compressed, distorted mp3 files) is the gravest sin imaginable.

I'd rather think of it as music, in any form, can lift the spirits and bring a smile from an otherwise necessary but sterile piece of electronic equipment.

Music can be beautiful, sang off key by a child, a moving performance out of a clock radio, or in this case to replace either the agitatingly persistant digital rings or the irratating buzzing of the vibrate mode.

Edit: I would also implore you to listen to the instrumental intro of the following songs (which are my ring tones), if you are not already familiar:

Chicane - Andromeda
The Cure - To The Sky
The Cure - Lullaby

They are very soft, poignant and achingly beautiful...and beats the antaganizing "RRRRIIIINNG...RRRIIIINNG....RRRRIIIINNNG..." or disconcerting "BZZZZZZZZZ....BZZZZZZZ...BZZZZZZZZ..."

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman
So how do you like the SLVR?

I love it. I was deciding between the SLVR and the Nokia 8801. Since I was buying the phone outright without the plan, the 8801 would have cost me $650 (the lowest price I was able to find), while the SLVR was less than half of that.

The phone is very well built, just feels solid with good fit and finish. The included Motorola Phone Tools computer program is very elegant and easy to use. It allows for the synchronization of contacts and calendar straight from Outlook. I actually never liked the RAZR because it was just too broad and keys a bit too Tron-like. But I think the SLVR is more aesthetically balanced and a better size for me.

The phone will play MP3s ripped to 192kps (which many a golden eared Head-Fiers use for their DAPs) and has a nice polyphonic speaker to bring a reasonable fidelity to the rings. Also as music lovers, the SLVR has music playback of course. The Cingular version has iTunes preinstalled. Mine is an international unlocked version so it has a different music interface. The phone also has a removable flash card so you can increase the memory if necessary (mine has 128MB, the Cingular one 512MB). The headphones that come with the phone has a mini-6-pin connection to the phone and sounds surprisingly good (much better than the iBud for sure).

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #37 of 46
I never use the ringing option on my cell phone, so I always leave it on vibrate. I think the reason I choose to do this is because I feel that the ringing of cell phones gets freaking annoying, especially when I'm at the library studying during finals week and there are a bunch of doorknobs there who don't put their phones on vibrate so it disturbs everyone. And sometimes they have the nerve to not pick it up!

In case I feel the need to have it ring, I have Europe - The Final Countdown on my phone in honor of Arrested Development.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
I never use the ringing option on my cell phone, so I always leave it on vibrate. I think the reason I choose to do this is because I feel that the ringing of cell phones gets freaking annoying, especially when I'm at the library studying during finals week and there are a bunch of doorknobs there who don't put their phones on vibrate so it disturbs everyone. And sometimes they have the nerve to not pick it up.

I absolutely agree! When I used to sit in a cube, mine was always on vibrate, now that I sit in my own office it's okay to have a soft ring tone. Otherwise it goes into vibrate in other public places. Cell phone manners are important and I expect that people are judicious in how they use it.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #39 of 46
I think it's some sort of Star Spangled Banner theme.

I just use the standard ring tones available on my Razor. Most of them are pretty boring and/or annoying. Every now and then I'll sift through, trying to find a better one but I agree that using real songs for ring tones is a bit over the top.

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #41 of 46
*ring* *riiing* *click* Hello? *faded guitar* mindcrime... *hang up* *pant* *pant* *ring* *click* *80's metal*

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime. Accept no substitutes.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #43 of 46
i used to have a simple old telephone "ring ring" ringtone on my old cell phone, but ever since getting my Walkman phone (SE W800i), it can play mp3s at high quality bitrates, so i figured "why not?"

i don't like ringtones to have lyrics, so i just make clips of instrumental passages of songs as ringtones.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #44 of 46
Tony Yayo ft. 50 Cent - So Seductive
50 Cent - Candy Shop
Eminem - When I'm Gone

i switch between the 3 pretty often just going back and forth

i'm not a huge fan of the real tones...i don't know why, i favour the Polyphonics

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
i used to have a simple old telephone "ring ring" ringtone on my old cell phone, but ever since getting my Walkman phone (SE W800i), it can play mp3s at high quality bitrates, so i figured "why not?"

i don't like ringtones to have lyrics, so i just make clips of instrumental passages of songs as ringtones.

Yup, me too, no lyrics. In fact I just like the repetitive melody at the intro so as to sound more like a regular ring tone. Funny thing is I just found a .wav file of an old rotary phone ringing yesterday (as inspired by Uncle Erik in this thread) and I converted that to a ring tone for my phone as well. It's very neat the contrast of a nostalgic sound and modern tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back