What should I buy next? SR-009?
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #166 of 274
Quote:
Perfect volume control at all range as it is continuous and not a "step" in ladder like the stepped attenuator.  If you have the fund, go for it.

Yeah, I might as well get it if I'm going to buy the amp anyway. I PM'd Justin and he said the majority of orders include the RK50 option, and surely it would add to the resale value too.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #167 of 274
Quote:
I get your point. But using spc will make ANY setup annoying. Im not a crazy cable believer and it's great that you accept spc side effects.

ll stop naggin and rewire 009 march-april.

I will be looking forward to your impressions, honestly. However, I am of the same opinion as Birgir on this one: the silver plating is not responsible for the 009 tonal balance and it absolutely won't make any more than subtle change at best. Personally, I do not perceive this artificial extra edge (the closest I can think of is some electronics that tend to overdo transients) and I think the 009 love/hate thing boils to the general voicing (we're talking 5-10dB differences between the omega 2mk1 vs 009) which severely affects the optimal listening volume. Omega 2 mk1 sounds best moderately loud ime while the 009 is best listened at milder volume levels. How loud is tolerable with the 009 is recording dependent but essentially, the voicing difference between omega 2 and 009 is so different that the perceived loudness is much higher with the 009 (maybe like 4-5dB). The omega 2 mk1 has this peculiar characteristic it will keep sounding ok regardless of how loud you push it and nasty recording you feed it. It's a different story with the 009 and no cable cable in the world will change this.

For the theories as to why cables sounds like they do, talking to a friend engineer of mine who works on electronics for telecommunications (so RF range), he laughed a bit about this because something like skin effect is hardly anything at audio frequencies. You also often find that if anything, the connector and solder joints are much more critical than the cable itself. So, I will remain open to your subjective impressions, but the rational behind it is a bit more challenging to digest. As to why Stax used spc this time, I can't help thinking it is simply because they could afford it for the 009 (just like milling every piece of the phone including headband connectors from solid aluminum was probably a bit overkill), and use it as a marketing differentiator (if anything against the rest of the product line) because part of the audiophile crowd will automatically equate spc to "more detailed & resolved" than copper wiring.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #168 of 274
Arnaud, I think your explanation of the perceived differences between the 007 and 009 explains very convincingly the polarized opinions. Does this mean that those who listens at a louder volume will gravitate towards the 007?

It will be interesting to canvass the experience of users.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #170 of 274
Quote:
on the plus side, you will also be waiting several months for the SR-009 :)  the lead time has really grown.  get them while you can find them.

Wow. I'm really glad I picked up my SR009/SRM727II from you late last year then! 

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #171 of 274
Quote:
Speaking of which, I would be curious to know what kind of XLR you are using with your BHSE. Is it a secret? 

XLR cable or connector?  I build all my cables and normally I just grab whatever is the correct length for that connection.  Some of these hail from a time when I did believe in cables so they use age annealed silver in silk similar to what Kondo use, some use Kimber silver wire, some are pure carbon and quite a few are made with Kimber TCSS and the PCX BL-AG cable.  I haven't used my BHSE for months though except for a single evening comparing it to my own BH amp. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #172 of 274
I meant XLR interconnects (cables and connectors). 

I am asking because I will receive a BHSE (which I'll use with Stax 007 and 009) in a few weeks and I have only RCA interconnects now. Justin recommended some 15 dollars XLR on Amazon. I just don't know what I should buy. Any suggestion (considering that I am not going to build it myself)? Would it be totally foolish to go for something like KS 1111?

Thank you in advance. And sorry all for this quasi, although brief highjack! 

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #173 of 274
Any good mic cable such as the one Justin recommended will be excellent but it doesn't look impressive so most people just write it off.  The Kimber Select cables are excellent though and while expensive they aren't crazy expensive.  Another good bit is they hold their value better than most. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #174 of 274
I meant XLR interconnects (cables and connectors). 

I am asking because I will receive a BHSE (which I'll use with Stax 007 and 009) in a few weeks and I have only RCA interconnects now. Justin recommended some 15 dollars XLR on Amazon. I just don't know what I should buy. Any suggestion (considering that I am not going to build it myself)? Would it be totally foolish to go for something like KS 1111?

Thank you in advance. And sorry all for this quasi, although brief highjack! 

It was a cable built with Canare star-quad and Neutrik connectors from Markertek

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #176 of 274
Quote:

Yeah, I might as well get it if I'm going to buy the amp anyway. I PM'd Justin and he said the majority of orders include the RK50 option, and surely it would add to the resale value too.

Yes, the RK50 is very good option, when using the 009's with the BHSE it acts much like a focus adjstment on an SLR camera, I have used the DACT in other amps and I could never get the volume quite right.

And yes, I would think it would add to the used price having it equipped with the RK50, but trust me, the last thing you will think about once you receive your BHSE and it settles in is resale, it really is that special.

End of the line for me, I can't imagine what aspect could be improved unless one is talking about their source component and/or listening material, both of those will be passed through unfettered, so don't kill the messenger if the sound isn't quite right because it will not be the fault of the BHSE.

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #177 of 274
Quote:

Yes, the RK50 is very good option, when using the 009's with the BHSE it acts much like a focus adjstment on an SLR camera, I have used the DACT in other amps and I could never get the volume quite right.

And yes, I would think it would add to the used price having it equipped with the RK50, but trust me, the last thing you will think about once you receive your BHSE and it settles in is resale, it really is that special.

End of the line for me, I can't imagine what aspect could be improved unless one is talking about their source component and/or listening material, both of those will be passed through unfettered, so don't kill the messenger if the sound isn't quite right because it will not be the fault of the BHSE.

Cheers!

Yeah, as one reviewer said about the SR-009, no source ever seems good enough. Having gone from the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and Denon AH-5000 a few years ago to the Sennheiser HD 800 last year, that was a pretty big jump in sound quality for me. Going from the HD 800 now to the SR-009 will probably be less of a jump overall, but since there is a clear difference, I would be inclined to imagine that a headphone even better than the SR-009 is possible and probably inevitable (I haven't heard the Orpheus so I don't know) - even more detailed, more lifelike, etc. Part of it I guess is about getting closer and closer to what the instruments sound like in person. I go to the Houston Symphony quite often and I'm convinced that no speaker or headphone system will ever be able to match something like that, I just think it's physically impossible.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #178 of 274
I've taken the plunge and bought it. Now, I need an amp...I'll focus on that next.

Sounds like someone will have some shopping to do next weekend. Just tell everyone you are going out for a walk.. for 8 hours.. :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #179 of 274
After extensive listening time this year, I plan on doing a review of the SR-009 compared to the HD-800. I'm sure the SR-009 will win in most aspects. I may try to do a review of those two compared to the Acapella Triolon Excalibur speakers eventually, just for the hell of it. :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #180 of 274
Quote:
After extensive listening time this year, I plan on doing a review of the SR-009 compared to the HD-800. I'm sure the SR-009 will win in most aspects. I may try to do a review of those two compared to the Acapella Triolon Excalibur speakers eventually, just for the hell of it. :)

Be sure to have the HD800 rig on a comparable level if possible. :)

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back