What should I buy next? SR-009?
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #181 of 274
Quote:
Be sure to have the HD800 rig on a comparable level if possible. :)

-Daniel

It really won't matter. 
size]

On my SRM727II, the SR009s bests the HD800s in almost every way (except for sound stage expansiveness) and that's with the HD800s on the WA22, Liquid Fire and GS-X. 
size]

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #187 of 274
Quote:
That said, have you heard the HD800 on an EC amp yet, Peter?

-Daniel

The Zana Deux. 

Sorry Daniel, no amp, no dac in the world can transform any gear to close that distance. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #193 of 274
Quote:
I will be looking forward to your impressions, honestly. However, I am of the same opinion as Birgir on this one: the silver plating is not responsible for the 009 tonal balance and it absolutely won't make any more than subtle change at best. Personally, I do not perceive this artificial extra edge (the closest I can think of is some electronics that tend to overdo transients) and I think the 009 love/hate thing boils to the general voicing (we're talking 5-10dB differences between the omega 2mk1 vs 009) which severely affects the optimal listening volume. Omega 2 mk1 sounds best moderately loud ime while the 009 is best listened at milder volume levels. How loud is tolerable with the 009 is recording dependent but essentially, the voicing difference between omega 2 and 009 is so different that the perceived loudness is much higher with the 009 (maybe like 4-5dB). The omega 2 mk1 has this peculiar characteristic it will keep sounding ok regardless of how loud you push it and nasty recording you feed it. It's a different story with the 009 and no cable cable in the world will change this.

For the theories as to why cables sounds like they do, talking to a friend engineer of mine who works on electronics for telecommunications (so RF range), he laughed a bit about this because something like skin effect is hardly anything at audio frequencies. You also often find that if anything, the connector and solder joints are much more critical than the cable itself. So, I will remain open to your subjective impressions, but the rational behind it is a bit more challenging to digest. As to why Stax used spc this time, I can't help thinking it is simply because they could afford it for the 009 (just like milling every piece of the phone including headband connectors from solid aluminum was probably a bit overkill), and use it as a marketing differentiator (if anything against the rest of the product line) because part of the audiophile crowd will automatically equate spc to "more detailed & resolved" than copper wiring.

Well i just ordered the copper cable.. i hope it gets here before friday.. so i could have a excited weekend 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back