What percent of Head-fi do u think we are v.s other ppl...
Apr 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 34
Way less than 1%.
Considering its been a couple of years since Apple announced they had sold 100,000,000 (100 million) iPods, while Head-Fi has less than 100,000 members. There are more to it than that, but it certainly tell a lot.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 34
Less than 1%. Right now I only know one friend at school that has heard of head-fi, but he's too poor to afford any high-end headphones. His portable source is a Sansa Fuze. I don't know what headphones he has.

I also know maybe a couple others that haven't heard of head-fi but use JBuds2 instead of stock.

One more friend is actually borrowing my Ety hf5s, and has actually told me he likes Etys and UE, but can't afford either. Interestingly enough, I don't think he's heard of head-fi either. He just knows that stock buds sound terrible.

So that's about five I know. Still less than 1%.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 34
I'm change my answer, I thought it said hi-fi (or who was an audiophile). If its head-fi vs other people it less then .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #21 of 34
Even among my family of musicians, I'm the only one who cares what headphones, speakers they use. My dad uses Bose bookshelf from late 80s and my aunt uses B&O most craptastic system I've ever heard. And my uncle uses whatever Steve Jobs tries to sell him. And my dad and uncle are excellent classical trained pianists and my aunt skilled on the 12 string guitar. All of them use ipod buds.

Yeah I think audiophiles are barely visible in a demographic survey, even among musicians.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 34
not very high...maybe ~2% at most.

On a side note...ou guys should hear some of the comments I get about my portable rig, esp. the amp..."Is that a extra battery?" "So it makes it louder?" are the two most common ones

May 17, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #24 of 34
...though I think I'm the biggest educator on Head-Fi.org for the folks I meet, although I was introduced to it via HeadRoom's Technical folks, and the guys & gals at iAUDIOPHILE.com (COWON's Fan Site for their DAP's // PMP's).

I'm a FLAC junkie, have a Terabyte of storage, a COWON O2PMP, several IEM (including the just received, and very musical Victor HP-FX500 Woo Hoo!) but my friends and family have always been music appreciators.

Dad had a Reel-To-Reel when I was a kid (stolen) Kenwood variety, and now has another Kenwood Component system... blah blah... so I had a good foundation in becoming rooted as a music fan.

Just turned a new recruit to 'the scene' on to the FiiO family of headphone amps, and he decided on the E5 because it would make his Sennheiser HD200's sound better. He has an S9, and was glad to hear of Head-Fi.org.

May 17, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 34
I don't have any friends who are into hi-fi. Many of them are musicians, either amateurs, a couple of professionals. I know somebody who plays at the LA Phil, yet I dont know of anybody who is obsessed with this the way I am. My 17 y/o plays classical violin, yet even he made fun of my tube amplifier.
My point is that there a people who are musically inclined and have the training that goes with it. Their interest does not extend into hi-fi however.

May 17, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #26 of 34
Just for the record, the wording of both the title of this poll, as well as the description in the first post, is the most confusing thing I've ever read on this website.

I have no idea what this question is asking.
confused.gif

May 17, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #27 of 34
Not even close to 1% if you're talking about the iPod crowd. When it comes to high end headphones, perhaps it's a slightly different story. But take the Sony R10 for example. They made something like 1,200 pairs. I doubt that Head-Fi ownership represents even 5% of that, and probably a lot less. Yet, more than 1%.

May 17, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #28 of 34
Head-Fi would be a small minority compared to other music listeners... Although being in a small country with hard access to hi-fi gear, i still know it would be low. Marketing would get most people (look at iPod's). The only headphone i MIGHT have seen (he was like 20m away, couldn't tell, inexperienced prying eyes) was a set of ES7's or 9's.

But we would have to argue, what makes someone an audiophile? Is there a standard? Does someone with some Koss KSC75's get in or is it not until you get some Turbines or D1001 (random examples)?

May 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #30 of 34
I know someone at work who has a Graham Slee Solo at home and uses some Etymotic IEM's, but thats the only person who has heard of head-fi that I've spoken to through my time at college, uni and years of moving round at work - easily <1% of people I've met have audiophile potential, though less than half use standard ibuds so maybe they just need some persuasion
wink.gif

My portable hangs prominently in a shoulder bag with headphones hanging out, so any closet audiophiles would hopefully mention it, while "normal" people just think it looks weird and I'm deaf (must be to need to carry an amplifier!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back