What percent of Head-fi do u think we are v.s other ppl...
Apr 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

my.self

500+ Head-Fier
so yes, im curious about what percent u guys think this audio/headphone community is to other people who listen to music through their ipods/stock ear buds and etc.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 34
I helped my friend buy some cheap full-size koss cans and he STILL listens through zune-buds

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said 1 percent or less because I've never met another audiophile in person. Could be the age group I'm in, though (<25).

Do you remember the age poll a while ago?
I think that <25 was the largest group.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 34
Probably less than a hundredth of a percent. Pretty much everyone in a first world country has an iPod or other DAP. They're moving into the rest of the world, too. Audiophiles are an exceedingly small portion of all listeners.

The only reason we get any attention is because of the massive margins we generate. Don't kid yourselves. A $500 headphone costs maybe $25 or $30 in materials and overhead. Sure, there's R&D and other expenses, but manufacturers make a killing on us. The bigger the margins, the more players there are. That's why you see a plethora of cable manufacturers and far fewer amp builders.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason we get any attention is because of the massive margins we generate. Don't kid yourselves. A $500 headphone costs maybe $25 or $30 in materials and overhead. Sure, there's R&D and other expenses, but manufacturers make a killing on us. The bigger the margins, the more players there are. That's why you see a plethora of cable manufacturers and far fewer amp builders.

My grandfather used to work for Koss, and the most high-end headphones they made at the time ('70s and '80s) cost $3.50 to make.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably less than a hundredth of a percent. Pretty much everyone in a first world country has an iPod or other DAP. They're moving into the rest of the world, too. Audiophiles are an exceedingly small portion of all listeners.

I don't have a dap, I had an imod, but didn't enjoy listening to music on the go so sold it and don't intend on buying any dap in the forseable future.

I think the raw materials something costs to make is nearly always negligible, its all the other cost as marketing, research and developement, paying for employees (invoved from building the product to answering the phones when you call the company if you have a problem). A saying i've heard is between a 500% to 1000% of markeup is neaded on the raw materials if you want to turn a profit (obviously is only for mid to large businesses).

I put 5% or less, as there are many audiophiles out there, there just not as big as you or me and they do upgrade there headphones (sometime blindly, but none the less they still do it in search for better performance). That bieng said most will never go to the lengths that many on this forum have gone to to get the sound they want.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 34
Way less than one percent. Everyone knows or sees several hundred people who listen to music every day, but how often do you see another audiophile?

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 34
We are a small rare group of people.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way below 1% in my school at least. I may be the only person with some good IEMs. Then it's probably my music teacher with his SCL2s.
But for the entire world, maybe 5% or less?

I agree with Erik's projected WAY less than 1%

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 34
I put this question foward. If someone is an audiophile and doesn't use portable gear, how can you tell without asking them whether they are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back