What Nikon DSLR should I start off with?
Dec 10, 2007 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
My choices are:

1.) D40x w/ two lenses (one being the Nikkor 18-55mm Autofocus lens) for $800

2.) D40 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm AF Zoom Lens for $500
2a.) D40 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm AF Zoom Lens and 55-200mm G Nikkor for $600

3.) Nikon D80 DSLR (body only) for $900
3a.) Nikon D80 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm AF Zoom Lens for $1000

I looked up any future Nikon models potentially coming out...should I wait for them, or will they be that much of a difference from what I have above?

Many thanks for every opinion and comment!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 45
i liked the d80 for the bang for the buck after studing the chart so my
pick would obviously be 3a but i found i wish i had dealed a little with
the camera shop and got the 18-200vr lens my friend has one and
its the perfect compromise lens for walking around.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 45
Get a simple body and invest your money in lenses, as they last far longer. Both the D40 and the D80 are excellent; if I was buying one I'd get the D80 because of compatibility with AF-lenses and DoF preview (actually, if I was to buy another body it'd be a used D200), but if you're starting new the D40 will be quite sufficient.

My reccomendation: Buy a D40 body and look on camera forums for used 18-70mm kit lenses. FAR better than the 18-55 (I've owned both) in terms of build quality, AF speed, and optical quality. You can find them at ~200 used, and it's a steal at that price.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 45
Shouldn't I be able to distinguish the 6.1 megapixels (D40) from 10.2 MP (D80) though?

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 45
I bought the D80 "kit" with the 18-135mm lens - used it for awhile and saved up for the 18-200mm VR lens (which I love). I've been extremely happy with the D80/18-200mm lens combo.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 45
6MP and 10MP isn't as different as camera manufacturers would like to have you believe. I have had a D70 which is 6MP for the past 3 years and never felt that I wanted more. When you actually compare the image dimensions, the differences aren't that big.

3872 x 2592 (10.0 MP) vs. 3008 x 2000 (6.0 MP)

However, I would lean towards the D80 due to the lens compatibility and other options Arainach mentioned. Also, and this is probably the most important thing, the D80 just feels better in MY hand. Who knows, maybe the D40 feels better for you, but for me the D80/70 feels just perfect and that really makes a difference.

In terms of lenses, I highly recommend the 18-70mm. I've had long experience with the 18-55 as well as a tamron lens with similar range. The Nikkor 18-70mm is by far the best in terms of AF and build quality in my experience with entry-level zooms.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 45
Thanks for your inputs...but now my dad is questioning what makes the D80 more money than the D40x (the first thing he is comparing them too is megapixels, which is only a .2 difference...).

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 45
The body is completely different as well as many many other things.

My suggestion is to spend a few hours reading about them here:
Nikon Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review

I would also recommend going to a store and just holding the cameras. They feel very different.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The body is completely different as well as many many other things.

My suggestion is to spend a few hours reading about them here:
Nikon Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review

I would also recommend going to a store and just holding the cameras. They feel very different.

Sweet, thanks for that link; been looking for it for awhile.

Yes, holding cameras I realize is another thing...perhaps hopefully I will hold the two soon this week.

And what is up with the lenses? I realize this is unlike headphones, where we say the headphone model, and it is definite. Yet here somebody says the lens zoom (I think that's what the numbers mean), and when I look it up on the Nikon site, my eyes bugged out.

Nikon USA Photography

So many lenses...how do you guys know what model others are talking about?

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 45
Are you set on buying a new one? There are good deals on D50 and D70 models, perhaps even some NOS ones left. In March, I bought a NOS D70s with the 18-70mm kit lens at a steep discount. Yeah, the D80 is better, but I've put about 10,000 exposures on it so far and don't feel like it's lacking for anything.

I used the extra cash to pick up the SB600, the 70-300mm telephoto and f/1.8 50mm prime. Those are "consumer" lenses, but the three of them cover pretty much everything I could want. And be sure to get a flash. The inboard one is OK, but Nikon's flash system is wonderful.

Oh, and get a big memory card. 4GB gives you over 1,000 shots and the battery holds up well beyond that. Shooting as much as I want is about the best thing in the world. Usually, I'll sweep the area/subject with each of the lenses.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you set on buying a new one? There are good deals on D50 and D70 models, perhaps even some NOS ones left. In March, I bought a NOS D70s with the 18-70mm kit lens at a steep discount. Yeah, the D80 is better, but I've put about 10,000 exposures on it so far and don't feel like it's lacking for anything.

I used the extra cash to pick up the SB600, the 70-300mm telephoto and f/1.8 50mm prime. Those are "consumer" lenses, but the three of them cover pretty much everything I could want. And be sure to get a flash. The inboard one is OK, but Nikon's flash system is wonderful.

Oh, and get a big memory card. 4GB gives you over 1,000 shots and the battery holds up well beyond that. Shooting as much as I want is about the best thing in the world. Usually, I'll sweep the area/subject with each of the lenses.

Yes, I am set on buying a new camera. I have this thing where if I'm beginning something major, I desire all-new equipment, just so I know it is new, just like my experience with it.
tongue.gif

I was expecting to get a 2GB card, but you're right; from my vacation experiences, one can never have more than enough memory!

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 45
I have a D50 w/ f/1.4 50mm prime and the ever popular 18-200mmVR

but to pick from your list I would do 3) D80 body only and add the f/1.8 50mm prime...I still remember taking my first shots with the D50 w/ the f/1.4 50mm and just being like WOW, coming from my old point and shoot

One important difference between the D50/70/40 compared to the D80 and up is the viewfinder. The D40's is slightly better than the D50/D70 being a bit brighter and .8 magnification vs .75, but the D80 is considerably larger at .94 and extremely bright. Something you really have to see for yourself. I tried out the D80 for a bit, but ended up with a D50 for less than have the price.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to be honest I don't see much of a difference. In stats and numbers, at least.

"Auto focus only with AF-S or AF-I lenses" would be the biggest technical difference. You will be limiting yourself in terms of compatible lenses, but it's not THAT big of a deal so.... (up to you). Basically what it is is there is no drive motor in the camera body for the AF. Thus, lenses that require a drive motor will not AF. You'll be limiting yourself to AF-S and AF-I Nikon lenses.

The body construction is significantly different though. The D80/70 just feel so much more solid.

I believe the buttons are different, ie you have to go through menus to access a few things that you would normally be able to access via dedicated buttons on the D80.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 45
So far, so good. Judging from this forum:

D80 vs. D40x: Nikon D80/D70/D50/D40 Forum: Digital Photography Review

It seems that compared to the D40x, the D80 has:

The D80 is worth every extra penny...you get, over the D40x:

- An in camera focus motor
- A top LCD (you may not realize how much you will like this)
- Exposure bracketing
- More dedicated buttons for changing common settings
- 9 more focus points (11 vs 3)
- Wireless flash control
- 2 Command dials
- Better battery life
- Better build quality
- Option to use a battery grip
- A slightly larger, more comfortable to hold (for most people) camera
-Several things I'm probably forgetting

Unless your obsessed with the D40x's slightly smaller frame, the D80 is the obvious choice. It's not that much more than the D40x and is significantly better. The weight difference is negligable, especially after you have a lens mounted and I think most people prefer the feel of a camera with a decent sized grip on it.
Hope that helps,

Mark

(from: Re: D80 vs. D40x: Nikon D80/D70/D50/D40 Forum: Digital Photography Review)

Also, where is a good place to shop for lenses? I realize having only the camera body isn't the most fun possible.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back