What Nikon DSLR should I start off with?
Dec 17, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the newer nikons indeed have this capability. my older d70, however, does not allow me to customize the auto ISO...at least i don't think i can.

menu->csm menu->05 auto iso

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My choices are:

1.) D40x w/ two lenses (one being the Nikkor 18-55mm Autofocus lens) for $800

2.) D40 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm AF Zoom Lens for $500
2a.) D40 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm AF Zoom Lens and 55-200mm G Nikkor for $600

3.) Nikon D80 DSLR (body only) for $900
3a.) Nikon D80 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm AF Zoom Lens for $1000

I looked up any future Nikon models potentially coming out...should I wait for them, or will they be that much of a difference from what I have above?

Many thanks for every opinion and comment!
biggrin.gif

I assume you have decided on one and purchased it?

In either case though, if I had to do it again, I would start at the D80, not the D40 or D40x (though they are DARN cheap right now). The D80 will have enough over the D40's to keep your upgrading urge down (camera body at least). The second you want to try a lens that requires an auto focus motor built into the camera, you'll have to upgrade from the D40.

And to be honest, you buy a SLR for the array of lenses. Why limit yourself?

I have no idea what type of photography you plan on doing, but I would get the D80 plus a nice little lens. That all depends on how much you want to spend on the lens.
If you can afford the VR 18-200, might as well. If not, the 18-70mm DX that everyone recommended is another good lens to consider, though you pass up on the VR and the extra range, but you save $$$.

Stop worrying about specs. Just get the better one, be done with it, and start taking some pics instead of wasting more time comparing the two (I mean..... really........).
From there, as you use your setup, you'll start to learn what other options would be helpful, and you can purchase them as needed.
Bottom line though, get one and start having fun!

Oh, and if you can, find a nice local mom and pop store and try them out. If you like the store, consider buying it from them to help support them.
I like BH photo for online purchases.

Kent does a lot of Nikon reviews at his site:
KenRockwell.com

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #33 of 45
Spend money on the lenses, not the body. The lens makes more of a difference to picture quality than the body does. You can always sell a good lens, but an obsolete body isn't as easy to sell.

See ya
Steve

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spend money on the lenses, not the body. The lens makes more of a difference to picture quality than the body does. You can always sell a good lens, but an obsolete body isn't as easy to sell.

See ya
Steve

I agree with you, to many focuses to much on the camerabody instead of lenses. But the OP should just think about that buying a D40 can be a lot more expensive in the end than buying a D80, just because he has to buy new expensive lenses with built in AF motor. I did the mistake my self and noticed that the second I started thinking of new lenses there was trouble, so it ended with me buying the D80 instead. But apart from that I loved the D40x.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 45
Hey guys, I went to Best Buy yesterday, and right away I preferred the D80 from the grip alone. With the D40's small grip, I had to hold it awkwardly and almost daintily, compared to a full-on grasp with the D80.

So I guess I'm all for the D80 atm, but this sure is turning out to be an expensive graduation gift!
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Hey guys, I went to Best Buy yesterday, and right away I preferred the D80 from the grip alone. With the D40's small grip, I had to hold it awkwardly and almost daintily, compared to a full-on grasp with the D80.

So I guess I'm all for the D80 atm, but this sure is turning out to be an expensive graduation gift!
tongue.gif

Ah, if you find the D40 to be harder to hold, that alone is worth the price of the D80 if you plan to use it more than just on special occasions.

A D40 is a great little camera for someone who already has a pro DSLR, and just wants a cheap thing to carry around on spur of the moment things.

But if you don't have one yet, the D80 is a great entry point.
Back when the D50 came out (when I also go it), I paid about 900$ for it.... which right now is about what the D80 is going for. Well worth it.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

tongue.gif

buy a used d70 i picked mine up with 18-70 and 70-300 for just over half the cost of a d80 body alone

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #38 of 45
Don't fall for the megapixel marketing game. I use to have 2mp Canon D2000 SLR and it took outstanding pictures under low ISO. Currently, I am (still) using Canon 1D that's 4mp and I have shot some large pictures for weddings.

I think you will find a slightly larger camera size to be more stable and feel "right" in your hand. Again, that's why I still don't feel the need to upgrade from my venerable Canon 1D.

Nikon takes some awesome pictures and their lens lineup is getting better and better with consumer grade VR lenses. You can't go wrong with any Nikon SLR..but save some $$$ for good lenses
wink.gif

I like Nikon output so much I programmed my Canon 1D's in-camera curve to match Nikon 1DX colors, saturation, contrast, and sharpness
wink.gif

Quote:

Shouldn't I be able to distinguish the 6.1 megapixels (D40) from 10.2 MP (D80) though?

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #39 of 45
Yes buying used is a very good thing I bought my D80 used it had about 900 pictures taken and I could not see that it was used, one month old, I got it for around 350$ less than for a new and got a Nikon crumpler bag and 3 2gb sandisk extreme III with it. So there is alot of money to save for lenses or a new headphone
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #43 of 45
My goodness, I remember back a year ago you couldn't even dream of getting a nice D-SLR for under 800$. and now look, 450$, 350$...............................

It's truly amazing that everyone doesn't run out and buy one at these prices.
Dirt cheap.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it also comes with an 18-70

the body alone is only $300 and that's a very nice price even for an older body

I don't know, I'm not sure if I want to pay 300 bucks for a D70. It's not even a D70s, who knows what problem might come around the corner considering the age of the camera. Maybe if it's very well taken care of and doesn't have that BGLOD thing, I might get it for that price.
But if they are selling the 18-70mm for 100 bucks, that I'll get.

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #45 of 45
450 for a D70 + 18-70 is insane, lmao. A few months ago you couldn't get the 18-70 alone for less than 200USD around here.. A D70s + 18-70 combo cost ~680USD and a D70 + 18-70 around 600USD. Prices sure drop fast :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back