What Music Did You Discover This Year?
Dec 8, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stabbing Westward was my gem discovery of this year.... it just hit the spot. I have no idea how I missed them during the 90s... god I miss the 90s

You should check out Chris Hall's new band The Dreaming. Sounds similar to SW and they have some great stuff! You can find them on MySpace.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 53
My 'discovery' is actually a CD I've had in my collection for years, but for some reason never got around to listening to
eek.gif
. That changed last night, and I'm very glad, because it's great music.

Material - "Hallucination Engine"
http://www.amazon.com/Hallucination-...e=UTF8&s=music

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 53
A large portion of what I listen to now...
Sigur Ros,
Silly Wizard,
Opeth,
The Gathering,
Rush,
Yes,
Johnny Cash,
The combination of Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Mark O'Connor,
Cake,

All sorts of good stuff.
I've also realized that I don't like the Red Hot Chili Peppers anymore (used to be a big fan).

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 53
Sufjan Stevens, The Mountain Goats, Andrew Bird (three stand-outs).

Thank you 'Best Of 2005' thread!

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #22 of 53
The lists of artists that i listen to is way to large to list, and ever growing, but 2 of the most beautiful discoveries were Hillary Stagg (He was an electrical contractor that happened upon a concert featuring Andreas Vollenweider and that forever changed his life. After recording his 5th album I believe, he became very ill and passed on in 1996) The other is kindof a pop/electrosynth/celtic gal Emer Kenny, just great stuff to chill out to
cool.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #23 of 53
Way too much, especially in genres of metal like power, melodic death, (mild) doom, folk. At the moment I'm into symphonic stuff; I LOVE classical mixed with metal, like Epica, Haggard, Rhapsody, Nemesea.

One of the best discoveries was probably Chopin though. His etudes and nocturnes =
basshead.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #24 of 53
too much, but shortlist it to 5 that were most notable:

5 -- Rosie Thomas: great singer/songwriter w/ vocals as sweet as sugar. picked up the 3 albums she's released so far and they dont disappoint.

4 -- Tina Dico: such emotion being brought out from her vocals. good stuff; performing live is just as great.

3 -- my small introduction to Country; i'm still picking and choosing, but some artists i'm finding are quite appealing to the ears. Tift Merritt's album Bramble Rose, and Men & Mascara by Julie Roberts are just a couple to be mentioned, hope to find more...

2 -- Cat Power: she's been releasing albums since 1995 and i've listened to all of them in the span of 3 months. emotions have never run this high. excellent music hope to hear what's next.

1 -- Joanna Newsom: in all honesty, undoubtedly the best stuff i've listened/discovered in 2006. "Milk-eyed Mender" was a gem of a record and "Ys" just wowed and amazed me. i was blown away. songwriting, instrumentation just top notch. you will be hooked; i guaran-damn-tee you!!!

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 53
I must have found over 100 artists through musical inquisition this year, it's insane.

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #27 of 53
I picked up a vintage tube FM tuner earlier this year and found that 88.1 came in nicely and sounded great. It's the local jazz station. I never hated jazz, but never was much into it, either. But the more I listened, the more jazz grew on me. Around March, I made a serious push- buying books, a mess of discs and reading everything I could about it. I'm still learning, but I love it now and know it'll be a lifelong love. I still listen to everything I used to before, but "discovering" jazz was one of the best things that happened to me this year.

2007 will be the year of vinyl... I just got a table last week.

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a vintage tube FM tuner earlier this year and found that 88.1 came in nicely and sounded great. It's the local jazz station. I never hated jazz, but never was much into it, either. But the more I listened, the more jazz grew on me. Around March, I made a serious push- buying books, a mess of discs and reading everything I could about it. I'm still learning, but I love it now and know it'll be a lifelong love. I still listen to everything I used to before, but "discovering" jazz was one of the best things that happened to me this year.

2007 will be the year of vinyl... I just got a table last week.

Wow, good for you. Jazz is very available on LP as well, so you will have a good 2007
eggosmile.gif

BTW, vynil IS King - you'll see why soon...

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #30 of 53
(Checks Amazon order history)

Mogwai
Miles Davis
Do Make Say Think
Broken Social Scene
Richie Hawtin
Slint
Prefuse 73
MF Doom
Venetian Snares
Mum