What Music Did You Discover This Year?
Jan 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm forgetful too...

Non-Head-Fi new finds:

Sleep, Electric Wizard, Herbie Han**** (electric), Miles Davis (electric), The Bicycles, High Tide, Blue Cheer, C'mon, The Illuminati, The Creepshow, Daikaiju, Dragonforce, Gentle Giant, Gnarls Barkley, High on Fire, Jeff Buckley, Jian Wang, Johnny Sketch & The Dirty Notes, Jun Togawa, Priestess, Scat Rag Bosters, Tokyo Police Club, Zen Guerilla.

Interesting to see someone discovering Blue Cheer. I'm surprised to see they have some staying power. I actually listened to my LP this year after pulling out all the old albums after your post about "Blues From Laurel Canyon", so I suppose I could say I "rediscovered" both Blue Cheer and John Mayall.

Discoveries for me were :
Composers:
Ronald Brautigam

Canteloube: Songs of the Auvergne (heard in concert, still deciding on a CD pick)

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #47 of 53
Sonny Landreth - Eric Clapton says he's one of the most underrated musicians out there.. the guy is just an amazing slide guitar player and writes decent songs too. His latest album From the Reach has gotten really good reviews on Amazon. I figure most guitar players would really appreciate this guy.
Neville Brothers - Funky and soulful.. just an all-around amazing band. I got a CD called Live From Planet Earth that I can't stop listening to.
New Orleans Social Club - Ivan Neville's new group with some of the original members of The Meters with a couple other guys.. great funky music.
Talking Heads - I heard their live album Stop Making Sense and loved it.. I love good funky music, I just don't know what the hell David Byrne is singing about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ryan Bingham - Good rock music with country flavor.. I think his latest album is called Mescalito.
Susan Tedeschi - Reminds me of Bonnie Raitt.. but her music is more rooted in traditional blues music than Bonnie's last couple of records. Great voice!

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #48 of 53
Medeski Martin & Wood
John Scofield
Roy Haynes
Lee Morgan
Hank Mobley
Dexter Gordon
Kenny Burrell
Grant Green
Jimmy Smith
Andrew Hill
Kenny Dorham
Sonny Clark
Happy New Year
atsmile.gif

Aloha
Headphile808

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PROGRESSIVE ROCK AND METAL!

Circus Maximus
Canvas Solaris
riverside
Symphony X
Opeth
Andromeda
Shadow Gallery
ayreon

woot woot. i need more
k1000smile.gif

me too! i started to listen to dream theater 6 monthes ago, and in my search for the same sound(progressive melodic metal) i discovered a lot of new artists(thx for you head-fiers and also the guys from the metal shop).
i also started to listen to some power metal and its great, i discovered some really amazing albums,part of them you mentioned above like:ayreon-into the electric castle,symphony x-v, etc... but the greatest was undoubtely the therion album-"gothic kabbalah", one of the best rock creations i listened to!

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #51 of 53
A lot actually, I can't remember all, but here are a few good ones...

Jazz:
Fourplay
Kenny G
Al Jarreau
Yellowjackets

Actually, it's a re-discover for me since I've been listening to this when I was a kid, but it's only now that I actually learned the titles and artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back