What media player do you use ?
May 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Dodgercat

New Head-Fier
I've tried lots, and nothing seems to come close to WinAmp....Not only is the sound playback superior, but I love the variety of graphic equalizer pre-sets you can use, and psychadelic visulization effects pulsing and waving to the beat - corny I know, but fun still....In my opinion, it is far better than standard windows media player, or apple itunes....but maybe you have a prfefered player. I set WinAmp as my default player in my computer settings for all audio playback, whatever the source.

May 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 68
Another vote for Winamp.. straight into ASIO drivers

On FooBar set-up: depends on how you are used to use computers. If I have new software first thing done is going through all settings anyway, so using Windamp/FooBar/MediaMonkey doesn't make any differenct to me setup wise.

May 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 68
I use foobar200 on Windows. It starts quickly and is not a resource hog despite thousands of tracks in my library, has tools to convert, check, ABX compare and even rip tracks, for the developers it has easy to use APIs, has an EBU R128 based loudness scanner and I really like how you can set up autoplaylists with whatever query and sort pattern you like.
Want a playlist with tracks with 3+ star rating not played within 3 weeks of a certain genre sorted by total times played times track duration? No problem.
I control playback using (global) hotkeys mostly since it's sitting minimized in the background most of the time.

May 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 68
xmplay with dual playlist window open, this is surprisingly useful. wish it had tabbed playlist support though.

don't care about visualization at all, if I listen to music with my laptop I definitely am doing something else on it.

May 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 68
I use winamp for all my mp3s, and jriver for lossless files. The interface on both can be customized to suite your preference.

Does anyone know how to use a WASAPI plugin with winamp?

May 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 68
Fidelia under osx 10.8.3

May 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 68
Quote:
I use winamp for all my mp3s, and jriver for lossless files. The interface on both can be customized to suite your preference.

Does anyone know how to use a WASAPI plugin with winamp?

This guide helped me set it up.

I use Winamp on my PC and Poweramp on my phone.

May 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 68
Quote:
Thanks heaps, never knew that existed. very handy indeed.

What is the difference between an ASIO and WASAPI plugin? Is there a benefit of using one over another?

I tried fiddling around with foobar and getting ASIO to work on it, but that process plus trying to customize the skin confused me, so I switched back to the more user-friendly Winamp. From what I've read, they both do the same thing, so there should be no audible difference between ASIO and WASAPI. I haven't compared them to test this claim, though.

May 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 68
Quote:
I tried fiddling around with foobar and getting ASIO to work on it, but that process plus trying to customize the skin confused me, so I switched back to the more user-friendly Winamp. From what I've read, they both do the same thing, so there should be no audible difference between ASIO and WASAPI. I haven't compared them to test this claim, though.

Yes I've tried both on Jriver and there was no audible difference whatsoever. In the end i reverted back to WASAPI since it was "recommended" by jriver for some unspecified reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back