What media player do you use ?
Jun 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #46 of 68
I have a question regarding J river thar has nothing to do with science, I attempted posting this at it's dedicated thread at computer audio but I've yet to get a response. How do I install a lyrics viewer? Those that came pre installed such as Dreamstate and Noire don't work. Thanks in advance

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #47 of 68
Sorry I can't answer your question, but did you try posting it to the JRiver forum?  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=27.0  Someone or another usually responds to an inquiry within a day or so.  If not, bump your post and ask again!  Good luck!

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:
Sorry I can't answer your question, but did you try posting it to the JRiver forum?  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=27.0  Someone or another usually responds to an inquiry within a day or so.  If not, bump your post and ask again!  Good luck!

Thank you so much for the link. I simply typed in 'lyrics' in the search bar and it lead me to this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78950.0 Got everything working now, cheers!

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #50 of 68
JRiver 18. Used Winamp, Foobar, media Monkey for years. The list of reasons I like JRiver so much more is long. But to keep it short, if you use an external DAC or soundcard and like bit perfect audio (WASAPI event style), JRiver needs to be checked out. The trial is 30 days and the $50 burns a hole in your pocket after about 1 day.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #51 of 68
Quote:
I have tried many many many media players in the last decade and without hesitation I can tell you that JRiver is the best media center application I have ever tested and used. There are so many reasons why this is, it comes down to minor details more than anything. What sets it apart are the codecs, the options, the ability to use every piece of media or files you can think of with it - Movies, Pictures, PDFs, built in HDTracks and many other music/movie stores. It has WASAPI, ASIO, Kernel Stream and many more. You can customize almost every aspect of it like Foobar except even better.

It has different modes such as Theater Mode which is like an xbox media center style way of browsing your files and listening to music or watching movies/tv. I just can't recommend it enough, after using it for a few months you will notice some of the little things and respect the program a lot more day by day.

Of course JRiver is basically a Windows only program, it has a beta app out for Mac, but not sure how well it works at the moment. For linux there are a few great options, but none I'd feel comfortable choosing over another right now.

Right on. It is really amazing software for the price they ask for it. And it does reveal something new and useful for many months after using it..

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #52 of 68
So far I like VLC best because I found it’s the loudest, but does anybody here know of any media player which is naturally louder?

I have just received my first truly audiophile level of headphone equipment which consist of the Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter,  Little Dot MK IV with SE better tube option and the Sennheiser 600 HD headphones

Exploring which media player works best with this set up I find that using the VLC player I get the loudest volume if I set it to its maximum output setting, which I find is very good for running my new audiophile quality set up. The reason for this is an allows me to lower the volume on my headphone amplifier allowing for more headroom and clearest sound. I tried the same thing on another good free media player mpc-hc64 which doesn’t do as good a job only because it outputs a lower signal from by DAC and that’s requires a higher volume on my headphone amplifier slightly reducing quality because I have less headroom on the headphone amplifier using mpc-hc64 rather than the VLC player.

So does anyone here know of a naturally louder media or equally loud media player than the VLC media player? Or alternatively are there particularly loud codex is that would help delivering the maximum output, volume wise, from your DAC?

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #53 of 68
Very funny mate. I laughed. Good joke.

Reminds me of the classic Spinal Tap. 'But this one goes up to 125%'

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #54 of 68
  So far I like VLC best because I found it’s the loudest, but does anybody here know of any media player which is naturally louder?

I have just received my first truly audiophile level of headphone equipment which consist of the Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter,  Little Dot MK IV with SE better tube option and the Sennheiser 600 HD headphones

Exploring which media player works best with this set up I find that using the VLC player I get the loudest volume if I set it to its maximum output setting, which I find is very good for running my new audiophile quality set up. The reason for this is an allows me to lower the volume on my headphone amplifier allowing for more headroom and clearest sound. I tried the same thing on another good free media player mpc-hc64 which doesn’t do as good a job only because it outputs a lower signal from by DAC and that’s requires a higher volume on my headphone amplifier slightly reducing quality because I have less headroom on the headphone amplifier using mpc-hc64 rather than the VLC player.

So does anyone here know of a naturally louder media or equally loud media player than the VLC media player? Or alternatively are there particularly loud codex is that would help delivering the maximum output, volume wise, from your DAC?

Very funny mate. I laughed. Good joke.

Reminds me of the classic Spinal Tap. 'But this one goes up to 125%'

RonaldDumsfeld Are you replying to what I wrote and saying it’s untrue?  

Anyone else please?

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #55 of 68
How close to maximum volume on your amp are you running? I can't imagine that a slightly louder output from your player is going to make an audible difference on your amp unless your amp is seriously underpowered.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #56 of 68
If you set the volume slider in foobar or any other audio player I know to max (100%) and set the windows mixer to max (if appropriate)  then the the player will output the max level signal your interface or amp is designed to cope with. Anything more will cause distortion (clipping). In fact you will still get mild clipping on peaks if you are playing a new pop CD or download but probably to low and infrequently for you to notice. (c.f. loudness wars).

So all players have the same max output level. You cannot go higher than all 1111111111111111s cleanly.

VLC is slightly different. It appears to allow you to set volume levels at 125% of max. But it doesn't really. It has an inbuilt software limiter. If you try to set the level above line level standard max VLC ignores you. It cannot go above max. You don't want it to either because it would distort horribly.   

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #57 of 68
How close to maximum volume on your amp are you running? I can't imagine that a slightly louder output from your player is going to make an audible difference on your amp unless your amp is seriously underpowered.

The total travel are my headphone amplifier potentiometer is from about the 5 o’clock position to the 7 o’clock position. The most volume I listen to music with with the VLC player is to turn the pot to the 10 o’clock position turning clockwise, but with the other player I mentioned I get up to the 2 o’clock position sometimes. So I don’t know if it’s something psychological and worth another listen, but what do you think

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #58 of 68
So all players have the same max output level. You cannot go higher than all 1111111111111111s cleanly.

VLC is slightly different. It appears to allow you to set volume levels at 125% of max. But it doesn't really. It has an inbuilt software limiter. If you try to set the level above line level standard max VLC ignores you. It cannot go above max. You don't want it to either because it would distort horribly.   

Are you saying that that the VLC player slightly compresses the dynamic range sometimes?

And another thought just crossed my mind how important is codec’s selection when listening to music on any of these media players? I don’t mean codec’s of the files I mean particular codec’s that’s interpreting the file for the player.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #59 of 68
  Are you saying that that the VLC player slightly compresses the dynamic range sometimes?

And another thought just crossed my mind how important is codec’s selection when listening to music on any of these media players? I don’t mean codec’s of the files I mean particular codec’s that’s interpreting the file for the player.

XBMC has some sort of booster but it distorts; it's really more for when you're in a loud place with limited choice in equipment and you get desperate. A more efficient headphone or a more powerful amp are more useful if you find the system's loudness lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back