What media player do you use ?
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #32 of 68
Sounds like a broken ASIO driver because the output should be identical to WASAPI exclusive.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #33 of 68
I like wasapi better than ks wrapper asio too, I don't care the reason, converting digital signal to analog domain has always been a complex topic after all.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #34 of 68
I like Foobar w/WASAPI for bit perfect-ness.  I use Audacious in Linux. 

Audacious isn't actually bit perfect, though the processing it does only leaves residual differences in the -160 decibel range which I am confident is of no consequence to human ears. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #35 of 68
For anyone interested, a friend of mine has customised a Foobar build for me.

Features include: Milkdrop, Detailed information about each file (Bitrate, format, etc)

Detailed information about the artist currently playing, 

Live library monitoring

Spectrum analyser, etc.

If you're interested, have a look. Of course, it's free, and no installation required (Just open the program).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11856421/DutchFoobs%20Jensy%20%282-6-13%29.zip

O
f course, it's a customised build, so it's perfect for me, but that's definitely not for everyones tastes. YMMV.

Screenshots (I have the transparency enabled):

"Now playing" tab:

Library view:

Your "Now playing" is the main feature, and is always in the main screen. You can drag and drop song/albums/playlists into this. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #37 of 68
Hey Xnor, 

Upon shopping for a new EQ for my foobar install, I found a perfect one, and I'm loving it.

The author, hilariously enough, appears to either share your username, or (more likely), is you.

If the latter is true, kudos to you - a fantastic software EQ for Foobar!

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #38 of 68
Thanks. Yes it's me.

If writing GUIs just wasn't such a PITA ...

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #41 of 68
My iTunes libraries total hundreds of days worth of music. Almost two years in total. No problems here.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #42 of 68
My iTunes libraries total hundreds of days worth of music. Almost two years in total. No problems here.
I find that iTunes gets very sluggish (on Windows or OS X) with larger libraries that are only in the tens of thousands of tracks. I keep it around because sometimes I need to sync things to my iOS devices, but I don't use it for playback or library management.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #43 of 68
The Mac version is as peppy as you'd ever want. I'm running it on a Mac Mini that I use as my music server and it runs 24/7 streaming music through the whole house using airports. Perhaps yours is sluggish because you are playing lossless files... (a guess)

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #44 of 68
I have tried many many many media players in the last decade and without hesitation I can tell you that JRiver is the best media center application I have ever tested and used. There are so many reasons why this is, it comes down to minor details more than anything. What sets it apart are the codecs, the options, the ability to use every piece of media or files you can think of with it - Movies, Pictures, PDFs, built in HDTracks and many other music/movie stores. It has WASAPI, ASIO, Kernel Stream and many more. You can customize almost every aspect of it like Foobar except even better.

It has different modes such as Theater Mode which is like an xbox media center style way of browsing your files and listening to music or watching movies/tv. I just can't recommend it enough, after using it for a few months you will notice some of the little things and respect the program a lot more day by day.

Of course JRiver is basically a Windows only program, it has a beta app out for Mac, but not sure how well it works at the moment. For linux there are a few great options, but none I'd feel comfortable choosing over another right now.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #45 of 68
I have yet to find an upper limit where JRiver's performance is impacted by library size - and I know people that have over 100,000 tracks in their library.

The only thing I have to say about large libraries and JRiver is.. when you are first setting it up and entering where your library is on your hard drive and where you want JRiver to look for certain file types.. It will be sluggish for a day or two while it automatically finds Album Covers and tags for you on the internet. After everything is initially setup, It will run extremely well.. no matter how big the library is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back