What makes audiophiles tick? (psychology of audiophiles)
Apr 17, 2018 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

Phronesis

Headphoneus Supremus
What makes audiophiles tick?

Are we obsessed with music? Are we obsessed with sonic quality for its own sake, sometimes giving it too much priority as compared to the music itself? Are we fascinated with the technicalities of music reproduction? If all of the above, is there a conflict between these goals? I tell myself to focus on enjoying music, but I do sometimes find myself distracted by these other goals.

Are we audiophiles people who experience moments of musical bliss and, like addicts, keep chasing higher and more frequent musical highs? Is there are a risk in experiencing higher highs, in the sense that it becomes more difficult to enjoy lower highs (i.e., lesser equipment)? Can the addiction become so extreme that we suffer from pursuing something which isn't attainable?

Is there anything fundamentally different about passion for audio vs other passions?

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 108

Are we obsessed with music? Are we obsessed with sonic quality for its own sake, sometimes giving it too much priority as compared to the music itself? Are we fascinated with the technicalities of music reproduction? If all of the above, is there a conflict between these goals? I tell myself to focus on enjoying music, but I do sometimes find myself distracted by these other goals.

Are we audiophiles people who experience moments of musical bliss and, like addicts, keep chasing higher and more frequent musical highs? Is there are a risk in experiencing higher highs, in the sense that it becomes more difficult to enjoy lower highs (i.e., lesser equipment)? Can the addiction become so extreme that we suffer from pursuing something which isn't attainable?

Is there anything fundamentally different about passion for audio vs other passions?
More effing drama....
I will make 1 post & be done!

I am genetically a hunter, yes, 23& me confirmed.
Imagine a hunters thrill at landing dinner by lust listening to his prey!

You can see in a recent wild planet, BBC documentary.
A fox diving through deep snow to catch a mouse! The skill used, only hearing.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 108

poor fox must be like "dude your snow is broken".

there are probably more reasons than varieties of breakfast cereals. I'm sure some people even like music ^_^.
we had at least one topic along the same lines but I'm too much of a noob to find it apparently.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 108
We are, bear with me here, half animal. As such we like our endorphins and other lovely feelings.

Hobbies in general cater to those needs / wants.

Feels good man! :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 108
More effing drama....

This, my latest surmizing about the division here at hadfi (no edit needed some had, some do have the head!) is telling & ties into this direction I am going
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ami...of-different-wire.876033/page-7#post-14180599

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 108
This, my latest surmizing about the division here at hadfi (no edit needed some had, some do have the head!) is telling & ties into this direction I am going
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ami...of-different-wire.876033/page-7#post-14180599

Meaningless posts linking to other meaningless posts. I dislike ignoring members, but it’s time.

What I don’t understand is why you stay here if you dislike it so much. Every other sub forum would be an acceptable place for your posts, but you continue here without any discernible attempt to make an effort to do anything other than seagull posting

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 108
More effing drama....

I actually made the hunting analogy with my wife a few days ago. I think it's a guy thing more than a you specifically thing, hence audio shops, high-end car dealerships, etc. and the associated forums being populated almost entirely by men.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 108
After dissecting everything from earthworms to humans, I'm sure both my halves are animal...

If the forum rules are cute, I don't mind a bit of flirting.... have to check with my wife...

I have it wrong. Females are 51% and men 49% (+-,999)

Maybe one half is looking for, or has found another half. Maybe it fits. In bed, errr I mean anatomically.

Some search for soulmates.

42 man, 42.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 108
Meaningless posts linking to other meaningless posts. I dislike ignoring members, but it’s time.

What I don’t understand is why you stay here if you dislike it so much. Every other sub forum would be an acceptable place for your posts, but you continue here without any discernible attempt to make an effort to do anything other than seagull posting
Because I am an audiophile of some, enough, significant standing here now. I know we differ greatly on what the minimum abilities of such a one is to have. I have followers, have recieved some affirmation that I qualify.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back