What makes a DJ Headphone, a DJ Headphone?
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PinoyPogiman

100+ Head-Fier
Among some of the famous DJ's of today, with the rise sensation of Electronic music; more specifically Dubstep. and other Electronic genres like Drum And Bass, Hardstyle, electro, techno, Daft Punk(they are their own genre), etc

with names like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Flux Pavilion, Tiesto, Araab Musik, Daft Punk, etc.
and pictures of DJ's wearing specific headphones.
Headphones are a mandatory component to DJ'ing to help out in mixing and modifiying music to play on the loudspeakers.

but with the Marketing and Advertising, quite a bit of society actually look over headphones entitled for DJ use when they dont use it for DJ related work.

_________

i do not know what makes a DJ headphone exactly for DJ's, whether that be for looks, or sound.
im also seeking to what sort of sound is specific for DJ tailored headphones.

i know DJ Headphones DO NOT have balanced sound like Grados, or higher end Sennheisers or some other Audiophile can.
and i do know the majority of DJ's use Closed back Headphones(to make for some isolation from the crowd and loudspeakers)

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Sound:
IMHO,  bass with a minimal thump, forward mids (for vocals), and non fatiguing highs (or even recessed).
Design etc:
must be enough solid, must look cool to the crowd, offers a minimum of isolation, ideally allow easily to listen with a single ear, curled cable .
Easily portable too (often with a mechanism, that allows to fold them) on a small bag.

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 6
For DnB (hd 25 1):

Mid bass has a bump it is puchy but very controlled, you can feel the beat with no problem even if the bass is badly produced and overemphasized (big time), I can say it is a common thing in dnb. Other two advantages are as @extrabihmedi said, forward mids and forward but little recessed highs. Higher sensitivity and durability of the driver is always a plus.

For Techno ( Ultrasone pro 550 )

Metallic or Synthetic terms are best way to describe this headphone. It goes good with techno 'cause mids do respond good with darker left/right panned synts. Highs are recessed but stil metallic, bass is not bad but nothing special.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 6
If you look at the sound signiture of Most Name brand DJ Headphones (I.E Pioneer, Gemini, Numark, Audio Technica, etc) you would notice they have a V or U shaped sig. in reality DJs are just gonna choose what they like and it most comfortable. Alot of Djs like a swivel cup (like on the pro 700 mkII or hdj 2000) so they can hear how the music sounds through their ears and the crowd. Also removable cords are handy. but yeah, comfort is a must for long sessions.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
If you look at the sound signiture of Most Name brand DJ Headphones (I.E Pioneer, Gemini, Numark, Audio Technica, etc) you would notice they have a V or U shaped sig. in reality DJs are just gonna choose what they like and it most comfortable. Alot of Djs like a swivel cup (like on the pro 700 mkII or hdj 2000) so they can hear how the music sounds through their ears and the crowd. Also removable cords are handy. but yeah, comfort is a must for long sessions.

^...this.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6
1.)  Build quality must be very high as a DJ typically uses the headphone multiple times in many locations

2.)  One earcup should fold out / away so you can monitor your setup as well as the actual speaker sound in the room

3.)  Sound must be pretty close to neutral with more emphasis on the bass and mid range due to loud ambient noise drowning out the highs.

4.)  Must avoid coiled cords because they always get tangled in gear

5.)  Should have a detachable cord because sometime it will break.

6.)  Should have replaceable parts such as earpads because they are going to wear away.

7.)  Must seal pretty well so no open headphone styles

I like the DT1350, ATH-M50, and Senn. HD-25-1-ii. 

Please understand that there is a difference in "studio" headphones vs "DJ".  In a studio one is trying to find and fix audio issues whereas in the DJ environment one is trying to keep the part in the beat while keeping music lines up for continuous play.  A studio headphones can have the same points above, but point 3 will shift from bass and mids heavy to much more neutral.

I like the AH-D2000, ATH-M50, and AKG Q701 for studio work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back