What Live concerts have you attended?
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #526 of 739
  One of the sadder moment of my life, I came down with Mono and was so sick I missed Floyd on the Animals tour.  I had some very hard to find tickets.

Since then I saw Waters on his first solo tour (Paul Carrack played drums) and two years ago The Wall Tour.

The Wall was mind blowing good.

It really was! My brother got me tickets for my 40th two years ago...one of the best gifts ever!

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #527 of 739
  I would have loved to have seen Floyd with Roger part of the band...but in 1975, I was only 3. 
tongue.gif

I've seen Rush a few times...in the 80s and very recently and they are one hell of a great band! But then again, we're both from Hogtown, hard not to be Rush fans!

That first time I saw Rush has a rather funny context that I'm sure you will appreciate.

Remember,
This was before the first album was released.

At the time they were promoting their first SINGLE.
That's right, they had just released a single, you one of those pieces of 7", 45 RPM vinyl.
A side was "Not Fade Away" composed by Buddy Holly
B side was "Can't Fight It" composed by Rush.

Kinda bizarre to think that there first release was a Buddy Holly tune!

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #528 of 739

That first time I saw Rush has a rather funny context that I'm sure you will appreciate.

Remember,
This was before the first album was released.

At the time they were promoting their first SINGLE.
That's right, they had just released a single, you one of those pieces of 7", 45 RPM vinyl.
A side was "Not Fade Away" composed by Buddy Holly
B side was "Can't Fight It" composed by Rush.

Kinda bizarre to think that there first release was a Buddy Holly tune!

One of the reasons the Beatles picked their name was a tribute to Buddy Holly and the Crickets. Buddy influenced so many musicians. 
smile.gif
 I was expecting say Zeppelin instead.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #529 of 739
I have an entire shoe box full of concert tickets, so just pulling from memory here :

Bruce Springsteen
Peter Gabriel
Tina Turner
Joe Cocker
Jethro Tull
Helen Watson
Mary Coughlan
Alannah Myles
Miles Davis
Texas
Cowboy Junkies
Jocelyn B. Smith
Marius Mueller Westenhagen
Herbert Gronemeyer
Ulla Meinecke
Heinz Rudolf Kunze
Patricia Kaas
Ute Lemper
Pat Metheny
Tomasz Stanko
Cassandra Wilson
Gidon Kremer
Ivo Pogorelich
Christian Tetzlaff
Anne Sophie Mutter
Santana
Al Jarreau
Al Di Meola
Hiromi
J.P. Jofre
Paquito DeRivera
Spyro Gyra
Keith Jarrett Trio
Keith Jarrett Solo
Carla Bley & Steve Swallow
Jane Monheit
Madeleine Peyroux
Wayne Shorter
Maria Schneider Orchestra
Ian Anderson
Esperanza Spalding
Kyle Eastwood
Joe Lovano
Diane Schuur
Patricia Barber
Stacey Kent
Stanley Clarke
Herbie Hancock
Ravi Coltrane
Oleta Adams
Geri Allen
Charles Lloyd

... my head starts spinning, have to stop now :wink:).

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #530 of 739
I visit music festivals every Summer for a bunch of years on a row, so I can make a nice list. Beside that, I visit gigs on regular base in my home town or in Amsterdam, Paris, London.

One of the best concerts I've seen in the last 15 years:

- Pearl Jam
- Prince
- Beirut
- Arcade Fire
- Radiohead
- The National
- Travis
- Archive
- The Shins
- R.E.M.
- Elbow
- Bell X1
- Bruce Springsteen
- Andrew Bird
- Rolling Stones
- Madrugada / Sivert Hoyem
- Mark Lanegan
- Billy Joel

That kind of stuff :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #531 of 739
Nice set of concerts X2  ^^

Quote:

One of the reasons the Beatles picked their name was a tribute to Buddy Holly and the Crickets. Buddy influenced so many musicians. 
smile.gif
 I was expecting say Zeppelin instead.

The Beatles choose Crickets (like the game) thinking that it was a double entendre, but Buddy Holly meant it literally, he kept hearing crickets when he and his band practiced.  He had no idea what Cricket, the game, was.

The Beatles didn't find that out from The Crickets until they were already big.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #532 of 739
  The Beatles choose Crickets (like the game) thinking that it was a double entendre, but Buddy Holly meant it literally, he kept hearing crickets when he and his band practiced.  He had no idea what Cricket, the game, was.

The Beatles didn't find that out from The Crickets until they were already big.

Exactly.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #535 of 739
  Yep...Paul said it all. I loved every minute of it. Especially at the end when both Paul and Ringo played together. You?

Oh yea, loved it, actually better than I anticipated, Paul's voice was in fine shape.

My favorite live concert of all time, saw Paul live in NYC Yankee stadium 2011 (2nd night) 3 hours and 15 min. of solid non-stop songs, no intermission, no warm up group, Paul played Ukulele, guitar, bass, and most impressively keyboards (primarily piano).  36 songs 26 were Beatles, 3 encores and Billy Joel came out and joined him on "I Saw Her Standing There" finished with "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"

50,000 people knew all the words to all those songs, scary good, Paul was apologetic at the end because he had to end the show, since it was late.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #536 of 739
  Oh yea, loved it, actually better than I anticipated, Paul's voice was in fine shape.

My favorite live concert of all time, saw Paul live in NYC Yankee stadium 2011 (2nd night) 3 hours and 15 min. of solid non-stop songs, no intermission, no warm up group, Paul played Ukulele, guitar, bass, and most impressively keyboards (primarily piano).  36 songs 26 were Beatles, 3 encores and Billy Joel came out and joined him on "I Saw Her Standing There" finished with "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"

50,000 people knew all the words to all those songs, scary good, Paul was apologetic at the end because he had to end the show, since it was late.

Last time I saw Paul was in his 1989 tour. There were only 2 times in my life I was absolutely star struck. That was #1. I couldn't get over that I was actually watching a Beatle live.

FWIW, the second time was when I ran into Sean Connery in London (during the London Premier of Hunt for Red October)....I'm a HUGE James Bond fan (and Sean is by far the best one IMO).

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #537 of 739
  Last time I saw Paul was in his 1989 tour. There were only 2 times in my life I was absolutely star struck. That was #1. I couldn't get over that I was actually watching a Beatle live.

FWIW, the second time was when I ran into Sean Connery in London (during the London Premier of Hunt for Red October)....I'm a HUGE James Bond fan (and Sean is by far the best one IMO).

Bond and Beatles, not bad 
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #539 of 739
Weezer (The Blue Album) at The Ryman, Nashville April 5th

A special show with one of my favorite bands.  1st half of the show was the greatest hits in reverse chronological order leading to a heartfelt and live slideshow of the band with Weezer promo man Karl.  Very unique and cool the slides showed the band over the last 20+ years.  The only cover song was "Song 2" by Blur a very nice rendition.

The band came out after the intermission and played the Blue album from beginning to end.  A sold out auditorium was very into the music.  The band played with passion.  A very tight musical show at a great venue it just doesn't get better than this.

The opening act The Last Internationale was very good, I've seen their videos and the acoustic version of the "House Of The Rising Sun" would have been perfect in this venue, maybe next time?

If I had the time and the money I would have been to the Pinkerton show tonight 
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #540 of 739
Second concert in a week via the local Children's Hospital charity show.  

This year Earth, Wind and Fire:  Maurice White has Parkinson's so is no longer touring with the band.  The band has three original members including Philip Bailey the co-singer.  He is simply amazing at 62yo, yes he still has 4 octaves and the most unbelievable falsetto I have ever heard live.  The band played for 1 and 1/2 hours at the local convention center.  A very nice entertaining night with all the hits including "Shining Star," and "September."  Great energy and a sound for those who have not heard them ranging from jazz, pop, rock and soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back