What keyboard type do you prefer?
Dec 7, 2003 at 10:49 AM Post #16 of 46
Pfft...no mention of MS's original natural keyboard.

Best Keyboard every made. Perfect balance between clicky and soft.

Dec 7, 2003 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i like clicky. ergonomic split designed too. i absolutely love the sound of typing. it's very soothing to me for some reason.

lol... thats one thing that I really hate...

At work there are no cubicles for us, its an open plan office, and there are about 20 of us, all with generic Dell keyboards... and boy, does that get noisy...
mad.gif

thats another reason why i like this keyboard, because its so quiet
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 46
the sound of one person typing i like. more than that i don't really think would be better. 20 people i don't think i could handle.

Dec 7, 2003 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn

I still use mine
biggrin.gif

I take pretty good care of it, as there is nothing decent to replace it. I'm shocked it hasn't bit the dust yet. I've been using it ALOT (enough where the surface of the common keys is worn smooth) for about 8 years now.

-dd3mon

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
My IBM keyboard, like active response or something, is the best keyboard I've encountered. I like ones that have a lot of depression/tactile feedback, and this thing has it in loads, believe me, I've got the original AT KB, nothing beats that for weight/loudness

I have a few of these lying around the place. I picked them up at a radio/computer fair a few years back. They are possibly the best keyboards that i've ever used.

Does anybody else find the modern Windows/Multimedia keyboards to be totally worthless. Who uses the extra keys anyway?

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 46
I never use the new multimedia keys, except for the mute, which is really practical.

But those MS natural keyboard are really great. I would have picked the elite one but all I found on ebay was the multimedia one they made for Dell. But that's good too.

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #22 of 46
I think the old IBM keyboards are overrated, in general. People like what they originally learn on, and it's almost impossible to change that. The preference for the old AT keyboards came from 'old schoolers' who grew up on Selectrics and liked the similiar tactile feel.

My favorite keyboard was the LK201 that came with the old DEC VT220 & up terminals, and the Rainbow PC's. Smooth, low profile, spread out just right, with just enough throw, and quiet (but not silent). The closest I've come to that was Apple's Extended Keyboard II. I still have two around here somewhere, that I'd like to adapt for use on my Windows PC. Anyone know if there's an ADB-PS2 adapter out there?

For laptops, IBM keyboards rule. I'd take a clunky old Thinkpad with that great keyboard over any tiny new one. I'd be more productive on the older laptop in the long run.

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Does anybody else find the modern Windows/Multimedia keyboards to be totally worthless. Who uses the extra keys anyway?

*waves hand*

I use them a lot on my laptop, mainly the "windows key". I'm a bit paranoid, so I lock my laptop whenever I get up (even in my apartment!), that's just a quick Windows+L. Also sometimes I need to get to the desktop, that's Windows+D. Those are the combos I use, if you could set up a user-mapped combo I'd be fine with it as well, and not miss the windows key.

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 46
Hey CaptBubba...

Thanks for the Windows+D thing... i've always used Windows+M... but then obviously there is no way to bring it back, unless you do so manually...

Brilliant
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 46
As far as just typing, I've got a newer IBM keyboard(KB-7953) that's great. Excellent feedback, and I've tested at 108wpm on it
biggrin.gif
Sort of inbetween clicky and quiet. I've got one of those old M series but something is messed up with it and all the keys don't register.

My friend SWEARS by his Fujitsu keyboard, forgot the model #. I've never used it, but he claims it's the best ever.

I'm not really satisfied with this IBM keyboard, still looking for the right combo.

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #27 of 46
I like to switch around keyboards when possible. I haven't yet tried one of the split jobs--thanks for reminded me to do that!
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 46
I think the Avant Prime is the best new keyboard available today. Fully programmable, solid enough for hand-to-hand combat and clicky like the old model 'M' but not excessively so.

jpelg, the AEKII can be used on modern systems quite easily, you need a Griffin Tech iMate, $39. I have a virgin AEKII and also one that I modified to have blue LEDs and a USB socket (attached the iMate internally). They are very good, but the Avant Prime is better! I got my two from weirdstuff.com, $19.95 new in box! Sorry, they're sold out.

Also on the LK201 - definitely a great keyboard. I found that the Digital RT6856T produced for the Digital workstations (way back when) is the same, and comes in PS/2. There's one in the cupboard, it always gets pulled out when I have a BIOS that isn't set up for USB keyboard support.

Dec 8, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn

Yes I would agree.
biggrin.gif

fa5c93dc.jpg

Dec 8, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 46
I have a laptop now, but I also have an IBM Model M, p/n 1391401, blue logo, with a removable ps/2 coiled cord and removable key caps. (Actually made by IBM, not Lexmark)

I really wanted this particular model as I this it is the best of the model Ms. If anyone is curious Arrowhead Resellers had a large variety of p/ns. Contact:

Gary Thompson
Arrowhead Resellers Corp.
3636 East Anne Street, Suite B
Phoenix, AZ 85040
AOL IM: ArrowheadGary
Ph: 602-437-3994
FAX: 602-437-3839

He sells on eBay (where I first contacted him).

I haven't gotten around to getting a P/S 2 to usb connector (actually i did get a really lousy one that didnt' work) so I don't use it. I really want to though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back