What keyboard type do you prefer?
Dec 8, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I think the Avant Prime is the best new keyboard available today. Fully programmable, solid enough for hand-to-hand combat and clicky like the old model 'M' but not excessively so.

Yeah, the avant is supposed to be a replica of the old northgate. Awesome keyboard isn't it? I definitely prefer it over the Model M. Here is my beloved northgate:

attachment.php

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #32 of 46
I've experienced several nice keyboards - the Mitsumi Commdore provided with the Amiga 2000 was excellent, as were the aforementioned old IBMs. My personal favourite were the old Siemens (= Actually Tandberg Data OEM...) models that were huge like a surfboard, had very flat keycaps and were surprisingly heavy. But I've also had some fairly good cheapo types from Silitek and Qtronix, which I could only recommend for very fair price/performance.

As for preferences, I'm not really fond of keyclick. But I like some extra keys. Whereas I hate overdone and overly futuristic styling.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #33 of 46
I got the Logitech® Cordless MX™ Duo a few months ago, and I am quite pleased. It is more of a clicky type with a bunch of programable buttons. I don't use all of them, but I find some of them quite helpful. The cordless mouse that came with it is also quite comfortable with convienent buttons for forward and back when surfing the net.

Dec 8, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #34 of 46
I can type 20wpm faster (120wpm) with my softer $10 keyboard, than I would do with any $50 clicker.. most keyboards are unacceptable, except for this one $10 brandless one I have..

And I prefer not to use the MS Natural keyboards.. as it is annoying seeing as I press the Y key with the left hand sometimes (bad habit)

Dec 8, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Hey CaptBubba...

Thanks for the Windows+D thing... i've always used Windows+M... but then obviously there is no way to bring it back, unless you do so manually...

Brilliant
biggrin.gif

Yep there is. Shift + Win + M
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Yes I would agree.
biggrin.gif

fa5c93dc.jpg

That's not the original version
tongue.gif
. It's pre-multimedia keys.

The original natural keyb is of very high quality.
I got it in the p90 days and is still working till now.
Absolutely faultless.

The newer ms keyb's are of very low quality.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Am I the only one here not dorky enough to memorize keyboard model numbers?

- Chris

No, it's printed right on the underside of the keyboard. In fact, I'd forgotten that both the full-size and the space-saver version are called model M.

attachment.php

Dec 9, 2003 at 10:24 AM Post #42 of 46
Yeah the Model M series had a large number of different models. the full 101 key/compact, blue logo/grey logo, IBM/Lexmark, beige/grey capslock light area, removable keycaps/nonremovable, drink spillage groves/less groves, thick metal plate on bottom/none, detachable cord/fixed. A few of these are related, but a model was produced for most of the combinations. (I did WAY too much research when I bought mine).

btw, Earwax, not all Model M's used a detachable cord. The later models did not. The reason for the detachable cord was that these cost $80 new (in the 80s), and many programmers would haul it from place to place. I am not sure at the features that are common to all the Model M's except that they used buckling spring technology (clicky technology).

Also, are those both your keyboards?

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by tommyatkins
Yeah the Model M series had a large number of different models. the full 101 key/compact, blue logo/grey logo, IBM/Lexmark, beige/grey capslock light area, removable keycaps/nonremovable, drink spillage groves/less groves, thick metal plate on bottom/none, detachable cord/fixed. A few of these are related, but a model was produced for most of the combinations. (I did WAY too much research when I bought mine).

btw, Earwax, not all Model M's used a detachable cord. The later models did not. The reason for the detachable cord was that these cost $80 new (in the 80s), and many programmers would haul it from place to place. I am not sure at the features that are common to all the Model M's except that they used buckling spring technology (clicky technology).

Also, are those both your keyboards?

I didn't know about the non-detachable chord. Or maybe I did, I remember some of those, they weren't as heavy so I didn't think they were still called Model M.

Yes, those are my keyboards in the picture. I got several full-size Ms along with some 286 PS/2s one of my former employers was tossing out. And I bought a couple of the the space saver version cheap from (?)somewhere.

Dec 10, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 46
I personally enjoy soft-click keyboards, but I haven't found a combination of features and clickyness on a keyboard that I like yet...

So I'm on a clicky keyboard right now... I love the clickyness of the old Fujitsu keyboards.. but I really love the old Gateway keyboards, too..

I just can't win..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back