What is your favorite Symphony?
Aug 20, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #47 of 60
I'm still only learning about classical, so my exposure is somewhat limited, but the ones that I can listen to over and over again seem to be Mahler's 2nd, 6th and 9th (the last movement is amazing!) and Beethoven's 7th and 9th (4-way tie).

But I'm glad to see some love for Tchaikovsky's 4th - it seems to get overshadowed by the 5th and 6th but is my favorite of the three. I hope to gain more appreciation of the 5th and 6th as I learn more - but I think the 4th will at least remain the most melodically appealing of the three for me.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #48 of 60
Mahler 2nd

(Then Bruckner 9 / Schubert 8 / Beethoven 9 / Mahler 1 on the 2nd tier)

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Mahler a more beloved symphonist these days than even Beethoven?

No just a little fresher and more modern. I mean Beethoven is Beethoven if you KWIN.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No just a little fresher and more modern. I mean Beethoven is Beethoven if you KWIN.

I know that Beethoven is Beethoven and I'm not questioning his greatness or importance but I feel as though Mahler has surpassed his symphonies in popularity.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that Beethoven is Beethoven and I'm not questioning his greatness or importance but I feel as though Mahler has surpassed his symphonies in popularity.

There is something in Mahler that I personally do not find in Beethoven.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #55 of 60
And Mahler is not so modern anymore......he's been played out for the last 4 decades so I would think people would be especially tired of him now, considering his unprolific output. But NO! To my enjoyment his popularity keeps growing. Mahler symphonies sell out concert halls and CD shops faster than any other composer

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #56 of 60
Limited to one or two, I'd definitely have to strike blows for modernity:
Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3
Isang Yun: Symphony No. 1 (something about the themelessness of it speaks to me)

Used to listen to Beethoven, particularly the Eroica, quite a bit. What do I know?

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #58 of 60
Mahler Symphony No. 2 Mahler Kerstmatinees, Bernard Haitink ,Concertbouworkest
Mahler Symphony No. 9 Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic
Symphonie No. 9 Bernard Haitink, London Symphony Orchestra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back