What Is Your Favorite Southern Rock Band?
Aug 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
Both Skynyrd and the Allmans have passionate followings. Which, in your opinion, was the greater band? I say was because, despite the fact that versions of both groups still exist, neither bears much resemblance to its classic lineup.

So please limit your comparisons to the two bands in their classic periods. For the Allmans, that means up to and including Brothers and Sisters. For Skynyrd, the cutoff would be the disaster that killed Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, and Cassie Gaines.

I know, I know: the new-look Allmans still kick, and Skynyrd probably still puts on a good show, even in 2009. But we're talking about the classic lineups here, O.K.?

If you choose "Other," please be specific.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 80
Hmmm. And here I was thinking I was going to start a small war. This seemed like a restatement of the classic "Beatles or Stones," or "Wilma or Betty" debate. Must have posted at the wrong time of day. Or maybe there just aren't many southern rock fans around here...

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 80
early black oak arkansas should be considered.
and does johnny winter count? certainly some very good stuff from him that needs consideration. i saw both Allmans and Skynyrd in concert various times (grew up in nashville). the allman brothers were a notch above as far as concert performances. tight, bluesy, very together. two drummer attack was awesome.

free bird was so overplayed, to this day i can't stand it. and in concert skynyrd would stretch it out to what seemed like an hour and a half. torture.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 80
Im quite certain that no one in the history of the world would pick Skynyrd.

For those of you that like music that made by living and/or still creative artists, Drive By Truckers and Lucero are both phenomenal.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnatback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and does johnny winter count? certainly some very good stuff from him that needs consideration. i saw both Allmans and Skynyrd in concert various times (grew up in nashville). the allman brothers were a notch above as far as concert performances. tight, bluesy, very together. two drummer attack was awesome.

free bird was so overplayed, to this day i can't stand it. and in concert skynyrd would stretch it out to what seemed like an hour and a half. torture.

Johnny Winter is blues for me ... but he rocks hard
smily_headphones1.gif
His first couple of albums on Columbia are really excellent!

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you that like music that made by living and/or still creative artists, Drive By Truckers and Lucero are both phenomenal.

Actually bought Drive-by Truckers Live at Austin TX disc last week after reading about the band (and the comparisons to Skynyrd) but was underwhelmed - maybe I should get the studio albums instead?

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

I dunno…"Free Bird" has been a classic-rock caricature for what seems like centuries now, but Lynyrd Skynyrd made the albums I don't mind hearing again.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 80
I'm starting to get ambivalent. You won't like me when I'm ambivalent.

First, I can't think seriously at all about Dixie-fried rock without thinking about ZZ Top. That, for me, is when the real-McCoy got started. Being from Texas, in my book, disqualifies you for damn-near everything, but ZZ Top is one of the numerous instances when I have to grudgingly accept that a lot of genius comes out of Texas. ZZ Top opened for Hendrix, and I don't think you'd ever have gotten Skynyrd, if you hadn't had that razor-sharp Texas boogie.

Second, the question vexes the whole issue of where Southern Rock ends and C&W begins. Cf. Carl Perkins and "Dixie-Fried." I saw him on Bravo last night reminiscking about jamming with the Beatles. Then there was George Harrison telling the press that Chet Atkins was the guitarist he admired most--a year or two before he changed his answer to that sitar-playing feller.

Third, what do you do about all the acts that grew up in the South and then went off to the West Coast to get discovered. I'd just about let the Grateful Dead go, but you know that the sound of X didn't grow out the dirt of Bakersfield.

Fourth, what the hell do you do with REM, which I do solemnly swear, was a great rock band for the first four-or-so albums.

Fifth--last--it just got me thinking about the glorious rise and ignominious fall of all those great Southern music acts that were something special in their day. Just off hand, I remembered:

The DBs
The B-52s
The Swimming Pool Qs
Webb Wilder and His Beatnecks
The Georgia Satellites
Southern Culture on the Skids
The Vomit Spots
Guadacanal Diary
The Reivers
BR549

All additions to this Memento Mori list are appreciated.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 80
Best - Allman Brothers

Most fun, although not really Southern "rock" as such - Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 80
Where's The Marshall Tucker Band? Where We All Belong is a great album.

As far as the Allman Brothers Band goes, I considered them a blues rock band up until Duane died. Starting with Brothers and Sisters, their sound took on a more southern/country flavor. ZZ Top has always been a blues rock band in my mind.

--Jerome

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mountain

Great band. You don't hear Leslie West's name that much among guitar heads these days, but he sure could rip.

Quote:

I still have my vinyl copy of High On The Hog somewhere. They were way over the top, almost cartoonish, but they rocked hard and they were loads of fun. Ruby Starr had a huge voice and she looked great in denim cutoffs.

Quote:

and does johnny winter count?

Well, he is certainly southern, and he certainly rocks. I think I'd probably call him blues rock if I had to put a label on him. But you could certainly put that label on the Allmans, too. Ultimately labels aren't so important.

Quote:

free bird was so overplayed, to this day i can't stand it.

One afternoon when I was a sophomore at Penn, I heard it playing simultaneously on all three Philadelphia rock stations. I thought I would never get over being sick of it, but to my surprise I've started liking it again, after completely avoiding it for close to 20 years.

Quote:

That's the same kind of polemic I always love about the Stones/Beatles argument.
icon10.gif
Drive By Truckers are a great choice, BTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most fun, although not really Southern "rock" as such - Ozark Mountain Daredevils

When I was in high school, I loved "If You Want To Get To Heaven." Simple, grooving rock n roll. Great bluesharp line. Still have the 45. I didn't like "Jackie Blue" as much. Very overplayed on the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back