What is your favorite record from 1967?
Feb 6, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 45
tough call. I love the Doors, but I think I'll be that guy and say Sgt. pepper's.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 45
Tough one!

No Dylan releases in 1967 that I can think of other that Greatest Hits, Volume One, which is kind of a buzz in and of itself given that he was all of 26 or so and had already put out 7 albums, at least 4 of which were amazing IMO.

My next thought was Hendrix, and it would be a toss up there between Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold as Love.

But where do you start or stop? The Doors (self titled) was probably the best debut album ever pressed! Strange Days later that year.

The Beatles chipped in with Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystey Tour (I'm not a huge fan of either). Or you could go with The Who Sell Out (again, not their best, but excellent in many ways), or Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow which is just full of great songs and holds together extremely well.

Moby Grape's debut album was also 1967.

Lots of other stuff going on. I don't know, Zappa was doing some pretty crazy things about then. Same for Captain Beefheart, Laura Nyro, the Rolling Stones, the Byrds, Country Joe, the list is endless. Oh, and Pink Floyd's The Piper At the Gates of Dawn.

I guess I'd go with The Doors self titled album. That say 1967 as well as anything I can think of.

"Up, up and away" by the 5th Dimension took the Grammy as song of the year, so go figure.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 45
Amongst those listed on Wikipedia, there's also Disraeli Gears, The Grateful Dead, Absolutely Free and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Personally, I'm sticking with Sgt. Pepper.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 45
Top choices for me would be Miles Smiles, John Wesley Harding, Velvet Underground and Nico, Something Else by the Kinks or The Who Sell Out. All fantastic albums. But the winner is I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You - Aretha would be an awesome choice for any year.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 45
There's just no contest for me, even in a year awash with some of the finest Rock and Soul ever recorded:

B000009B6E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 45
Aretha Franklin, hands down. I Never Loved A Man…'s impact was instantaneous in a way that, say, Hendrix and the Velvet Underground (whose records I'm also crazy about) were not. Few certifiably great records enter the mainstream so forcefully, and with such huge implications for everyone in earshot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back