What is your favorite Final Fantasy?
Jun 5, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
FF7.

It's a shame, but it's nearly impossible for a person to play it for the first time now and not already know about the scene PsychoZX mentioned. You're so far into the game and emotionally involved with the characters at that point that it's extremely hard to believe.

Yeah. I haven't played FF7 and I know about that scene. Being an outsider, it makes me wonder, "hmm, what's the big deal?" when I see people talk about it. I suppose it won't affect me as much as it does people who experienced it on their own the first time.

At least Joe was kind enough to mark it as a spoiler. But I suppose that scene is pretty common knowledge nowadays. Not a whole lot of us who want to but haven't yet played FF7.

I'll be honest - I'm hoping for a remake.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure it's worth it, but it's kinda hard to go back to PS1 graphics...

For me, I've only played FFX (which I absolutely loved... I felt like Tidus and Yuna were my best friends) and FFX-2 (which I found amusing enough.) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a lot of fun, and as a result, I am really looking forward to FFXII. And FFXIII, of course.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Yeah. I haven't played FF7 and I know about that scene. Being an outsider, it makes me wonder, "hmm, what's the big deal?" when I see people talk about it. I suppose it won't affect me as much as it does people who experienced it on their own the first time.

(...)

For me, I've only played FFX (which I absolutely loved... I felt like Tidus and Yuna were my best friends) and FFX-2 (which I found amusing enough.) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a lot of fun, and as a result, I am really looking forward to FFXII. And FFXIII, of course.
biggrin.gif

The Aerith scene didn't affect me so much either even though I played it myself but the rest of the story about Cloud's past and how he deals with it was authentic and captivating. I also grew closer to Aerith after she already died since she's interwined in Cloud's past. A funny foshata take on the whole Aerith issue: link

I agree about Tidus and Yuna. Great and believable characters with a badass ending. First game in ages that squeezed a few tears off me.

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #33 of 51
ff7 is awesome, but i gotta say ff6 was definitely the best of the series. the storyline was excellent and the strange elements of espers and terra just kept you wondering throughout the whole game. and who could forget the atma weapon?? equip a double sword relic (whatever its called), have two atma weapons. each slash is 9999 damage. man that was fun!

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 51
My first one played was FF8, personally if I had to choose, my favorite, but also right behind it then would be FFX and FF7, best soundtracks and everything.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 51
FFVI without a doubt for me. I also have a soft spot for FFIV but I have to admit that VI is simply the better game.

I didn't find the Aeris scene all that emotional either and normally I'm a sucker for melodrama. It felt like there were too many characters in VII who were simply throwaways(like Yufie or Barret) and the ones who weren't(including Cloud) I didn't care about. On a more positive note though, I'm not sure any videogame has recreated the wonder I first felt when I first popped VII in and the guys jumped off the train into the reactor. Going from SNES to that took my breath away. It wasn't a bad game, but to me it's nowhere close to the best FF.

Loved the ending to 9. So happy.

I was very pleasantly surprised by X. When I was first introduced to Tidus I expected another VII or another VIII but dressing habits and annoying voice aside, I had no problems with him. I also felt X was the most fluid and perfectly presented of the series.

I thought FFVIII was the worst FF until I slogged through X-2.

Xenogears and FFT(original) hold a special place for me. Both were tremendous games and imo there's a chance Xenogears was the best console game ever made.

Just my thoughts. I know many of you disagree and that's ok
smily_headphones1.gif
m

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I think Square-Enix is being incredibly stupid to not have done this already by now. It's not like they don't know FF7 has an absolutely rabid and insane fanboy base by now...good grief, imagine the amount of money they could make by redoing FF7 or making a direct sequel. The money's there for the taking, they're just being too stubborn to do anything more with the original FF7.

Anyways, I'm totally a FF7 fanboy myself, freely admitted...loved the game, the environment, and the characters. It's one of the few RPGs I've played where I really feel like I'm being immersed in another world.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

I think Square-Enix is being incredibly stupid to not have done this already by now. It's not like they don't know FF7 has an absolutely rabid and insane fanboy base by now...good grief, imagine the amount of money they could make by redoing FF7 or making a direct sequel. The money's there for the taking, they're just being too stubborn to do anything more with the original FF7.

Actually, it's because they're smart that they haven't done it. The game has a rabid fanboy base. Therefore, any remake, no matter how good, will piss off 90% of that fanbase because some detail wasn't like that person wanted it. Somethimes it's best just to not mess around with this stuff.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Stop being a wimp and go back and play it.
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #39 of 51
I hope there'll be a FF7 remake for the PS3. The FF7 video sequence for the PS3 was amazing and might herald something great to come.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #42 of 51
I played a translation of FFIII and simply loved it more than any of the others I have played to date including the SNES ones and FFI. I can't wait for the update from coming to the DS.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #43 of 51
It'd be between 7 and Tactics. Back in the golden era before the series got overrun with visual-kei girlboys angsting (no wait, VII was like that too...). Hmm, Tactics it is then.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Where's Mystic Quest?!?11!
tongue.gif

Just kidding, VI for me. Didn't really care for VII.

i actaully beat it long ago, i like the game actaully.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #45 of 51
Probably FFVIII for me. A lot of people don't like VIII but everything with it just struck an immediate chord with me, the characters, the setting, the storyline...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back