What is your favorite Final Fantasy?
Jun 5, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #16 of 51
6 and 7 are both simply awesome, I've played them multiple times and plan to keep doing so in the future.

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #17 of 51
I like IV the best. I haven't played any of the PS ones except for...
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I can't wait for FFXII to be released for the American market!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sweet, how is the game? I read that it received a 40/40 from famitsu thus making it one of the 4-5 titles to ever receive a perfect score from that game magazine. I'm especially worried about the gameplay, i.e. loss of random encounters and rounds-based fighting. I wasn't overly thrilled by the demo that came bundled with Dragon Quest even though the video sequences were once again great.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #19 of 51
I put FFVIII because it was my first finals, but I love FFVII just as much and FFX was ok too but X-2... was shocking. After a while I just switched it off. X-2 is not a real finals!

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Sweet, how is the game? I read that it received a 40/40 from famitsu thus making it one of the 4-5 titles to ever receive a perfect score from that game magazine. I'm especially worried about the gameplay, i.e. loss of random encounters and rounds-based fighting. I wasn't overly thrilled by the demo that came bundled with Dragon Quest even though the video sequences were once again great.

I bought FF XII as I love the game the chief producer created: Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre (NOT GBA version), and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Battles: It's basically an offline MMO a la FF XI. If you like to solo MMOs, its a blast. I was apprehensive on COM Party control, but it is surprising excellent, maybe too excellent sometimes. And best of all, due to no dedicated battle sequence, NO LOADING!
biggrin.gif
. Battles are very snappy.

Overall, it's not a super excellent game of [40/40], but is a good solid game. I enjoyed it very much.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #22 of 51
My favorite is IV, no question. It has my favorite FF soundtrack, simple yet well-told story, likeable characters, a battle party that has sensible skills (i.e. no fighters spamming Ultima). Second would be X. Third would be the original. The rest, I have no desire to play again, so they don't get a ranking.

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
I bought FF XII as I love the game the chief producer created: Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre (NOT GBA version), and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Battles: It's basically an offline MMO a la FF XI. If you like to solo MMOs, its a blast. I was apprehensive on COM Party control, but it is surprising excellent, maybe too excellent sometimes. And best of all, due to no dedicated battle sequence, NO LOADING!
biggrin.gif
. Battles are very snappy.

Overall, it's not a super excellent game of [40/40], but is a good solid game. I enjoyed it very much.

I think FF XII is pretty darn good as well. I can't relate to the offline MMO comment but I somehow know what you mean. The game is kind of hard at some places, but only if you forget to level a lot, which is the main rule in any RPG. It's a shame that I can't read kanji.
frown.gif

I'm also waiting for the US release to play the whole thing, just like I did with Dirge of Cerberus, which isn't a decent game though, except for the cutscenes.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 51
For me it was VII. At the time I was in the Naval Academy and couldn't watch tv or listen to the radio except for Saturdays from 10am-midnight. Being so starved for entertainment took an already great game and imprinted it on my gaming conscious permanently.

To this day, it is the only game that ever had me actually feeling for the characters.(and I have been a gamer since the atari)

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #26 of 51
Final Fantasy X was the second game that totally immersed me, the first being Star Wars Galaxies. I just bought the soundtrack to it and it floods sooooo many memories back. Too bad I let my friend who I am no longer friends with borrow it because now I can't play it again
frown.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #27 of 51
FF7.

It's a shame, but it's nearly impossible for a person to play it for the first time now and not already know about the scene PsychoZX mentioned. You're so far into the game and emotionally involved with the characters at that point that it's extremely hard to believe.

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #28 of 51
It's a tossup between 6, 7, and 9 for me. 6 had a fantastic story, but the gameplay never quite immersed me as much as 7. 7 I'm a bit biased towards because it was the second RPG I ever played (after Dragon Warrior for the NES), but even replaying it for the seventh time I keep finding new and enjoyable stuff. 9 felt wonderfully balanced (as opposed to the broken Materia system) and was an absolutely stunning game. I haven't played X yet - I finally picked up a PS2 and will probably start it later this week.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #29 of 51
I loved all the final fantasies VII through to X-2 (well maybe except for the last one) so I'm what you consider to be the new generation of FF players who didn't originate from the SNES/NES.

But VII has to be one, one of the few games that can make you want to cry. Stunning gameplay, amazing graphics, compelling story and biblical longevity. Awesome game and probably the best Final Fantasy.

Reckon FF XII will hit the PC?
tongue.gif

Another thing: how hardcore would you consider yourselves at final fantasy?

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #30 of 51
VII for me. I just loved how you could rape the hell out of the materia system. My characters were ridiculous, some of the combos you can come up with are insane. I had Knights of the Round attached to a MP recovery materia, which basically restored a percentage of damage caused with MP. So basically I could unleash Knights of the Round without any loss in MP. I also had final attack attaced to another Knights of the Round materia so that if I actually did end up dying for some reason (which does happen with the weapons, whom I beat easily), you end up casting a knights of the round. Also can't beat a final attack/action with revive, that one is class. To get all my combo materia pairings with all on master and every character with at least 2 mastered knights of the round took me quite a bit of time
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back