What is your favorite big screen PMP? ( no iPods)
Jun 5, 2010 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I am in the market for a new PMP and not sure what to choose. I would like to have a 3in or bigger screen. (not a tablet) With 8gb or more of storage. 

So far I have my eye on the Cowon J3. Oh and expandable memory would be great.

Any suggestion or opinions are welcome.

Take Care.
Ryan

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 22
You should look into Chinese players like Onda, Ainol, RAmos or Teclast. By far the best bang for the buck. You can get a 5" 1080p-capable (via HDMI-out) player for about $ 150. Check with sites such as www.ownta.com or www.mp4nation.net. Personally, I use a Nationite OS-72HR (a Teclast rebrand) that I like a lot for its awesome screen. It's a 4,3" that only does DivX/Xvid. I'm currently in the market for a 5" mkv player. Ainol's 8000HDW (6" screen) and the Teclast C520 seem particularly tempting right now.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 22

I use the Ainol V9000HDA and it's excellent for the price. 1080p, 4,3", good viewing angles, MicroSD, touchscreen, TV & HDMI out and a decent UI. Check Mp4nation for current pricing. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 22
No netbooks either?  That's my favorite.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 22
Lol, no netbooks, I will be playing video and music. Oh and I would like to keep cost of the play under $350

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 22
Archos 5 with android is pretty good

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 22
The iriver P7 is a great media player.  Unique Magazine-Style UI.  Bookmarking in music, movies, and text.   Can be found at a good price.  There is even a battery/speaker dock available.  

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 22
I'll be putting up my Nationite OS-72HR PMP for sale on head-fi tonite, in case your interested. It doesn't do mkv, but DivX/Xvid up to 720p is perfect. It even has a dedicated Cirrus Logic DAC for decent audio. I really like the player for its amazing screen and great build, but I need money for one o' them generic 7" Rockchip Android tablets.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 22
Well =) A845 if its screen can be considered as big =)

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 22
If video playback is the priority, then it's really hard to beat Chinese players for value.  There's an ongoing arms race (or horsepower wars, if you like) to push the limits of HD video on portable players...and do it on a budget.  If you want to give it a go, you could pick up something top-of-the-line for half your budget.  Plenty more at less than half.  If you were in China, it would be one-third.  The Ainol V9000HDA mentioned above is really hot in China right now.  Ainol also has the equally hot V6000HDT, a 4.8" player with the same processor as the V9000HDA and a screen made by Samsung.  The iriver P7 mentioned above is from last year and uses a Rockchip processor, so you're getting Korean design with Chinese guts.  RAmos is another easily available brand worth looking at. Basically just pick a screen size (3.6", 4.3", 5.0" or 7.0") and winnow the results from user reviews/complaints found on sites like MP4Nation and others specializing in Chinese brands.  SoChip and AMLogic are the processors to look at for powerful video decoding, Rockchip has good all-around performance and has recently thrown its hat into the Android ring, and there's a few Telechips players out there as well if you want something Korean in a lower-cost package. 
Code:
 hé [url=http://www.words-chinese.com/chinese-learning-dictionary?q=%E5%92%8C&lang=english&cr=4&src=ffdict]和[/url]2
Code:
   T17FHD

1. {zài} be; depend on; exist; at; in
2. {hé} and; sum; summation; together with; kind; peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back