What is your favorite beer to drink?
May 7, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Perhaps a testamant to how good Guiness is? Even bottled and moved away from its home, it is still delicious.

I agree with this. And like Bangraman said a lot of R&D went into the widget + gas release.

No offense to Europeans but all my close friends from Europe (England, Ireland and Norway) are all a bit too snobbish with what beer they drink, and how they like their beer.

Also I think that Guiness is one of the few [large] companies left thats proud of their product and goes to the greatest measures to ensure that it tastes fantastic everywhere; from their Quality Team in Ireland to tight control on exports or out of country brewing.

May 7, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
No offense to Europeans but all my close friends from Europe (England, Ireland and Norway) are all a bit too snobbish with what beer they drink, and how they like their beer.

Snobbish,no,its drank here like water so we should be picky.When you drink the best you expect the best.After all Guinness is made on our front doorstep so why shouldnt it be perfect.
Trust me Guinness does not taste fantastic everywhere,there are pubs in town that i wouldnt go near the stuff and as for nightclubs not a hope.When you drink enough of it youl know.
But anyway ive gone off track,if its in bottles or cans fair enough but we drink it in draught pints.But it just doesnt taste the same out of a can or a bottle compared with draft,widget or no widget,i cant believe im goin to say this but it is "night and day" -cringe.It looses its creamyness and there is a bite to it ,no longer as smooth and the separation between the head and body goes out the window very quickly. Anytime i have been abroad and including many of my friends,even in the Irish bars it tastes like absolute Pi55 on draught.I dont know how many times ive been abroad and ordered a pint of Guinness and had the whole thing pulled straight up no settling whatsoever,then when it has been settled it tastes like watered down muck.Its best to stick with the local beers when away i find.

May 7, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #36 of 57
I don't usually venture into the lounge here, but some how I ran across this beer thread, & had to join in.
wink.gif

What is your favorite beer to drink when:

(a) Having a spicy meal - Abita Amber, Newcastle Brown Ale

(b) When you are outside and it is over 85 degrees Farenheit - Corona (light) with Lime, Michelob Ultra

(c) You have just left work and you go to your favorite bar and want to unwind - Guiness (on tap prefered), Black & Tan (Guiness w/Bass), Newcastle

(d) You are eating pizza - Heini, Abita Amber, Newcastle

(e) You are out on a date - Newcastle

(f) You just want to savor the flavor - Guiness

Love trying out micro breweries too. Gordon Biersch has a nice line-up. Give them a try if you get the chance.

I'm thirsty!

May 7, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #37 of 57
Hope my post comes after Todd S's, because that's MY name and last initial, and we kind of have some beer in common.

For me:

(a) Having a spicy meal - Newcastle Nut Brown Ale. Had this once at an Indian restaurant when they served some spicy dishes, and it REALLY hit the spot!

(b) When you are outside and it is over 85 degrees Farenheit - Rolling Rock, or any cold tasteless American pilsner style "beer"
tongue.gif

(c) You have just left work and you go to your favorite bar and want to unwind - Bass, Newcastle, or one of several other English ales

(d) You are eating pizza - Abita Springs Turbo Dog! Mmmmm...pizza and the Dog

(e) You are out on a date - (see English Ales, maybe Amstel Light)

(f) You just want to savor the flavor - Abita Springs Turbo Dog, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, or Berliner Kindelweiss (if I can ever find the dang stuff! They keep losing their distributor here in the NE area)

May 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #38 of 57
I'm going to jump in here and confess that I've never had a drop of alcohol. This may be because I'm only 16, but to be honest I'm more more inclined towards some nice mineral water
tongue.gif

May 7, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #39 of 57
I'm really surprised so many people like Guiness. Perhaps it's the marketing or just the fact that they don't allow themselves to try other competing Pub Draught's while reaching for the Guiness? Have any of the Guiness fans ever sampled Murphy's? IMO it not only tastes better but is smoother as well.

(a) Affligem Blonde
(b) San Miguel/Pacifico
(c) Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
(d) Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial Pale Ale
(e) Frey Organic Syrah
(f) Schneider-Weisse Aventinus Eisbock/Trappistes Rochefort 8

May 7, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Hope my post comes after Todd S's, because that's MY name and last initial, and we kind of have some beer in common.

For me:

(a) Having a spicy meal - Newcastle Nut Brown Ale. Had this once at an Indian restaurant when they served some spicy dishes, and it REALLY hit the spot!

(b) When you are outside and it is over 85 degrees Farenheit - Rolling Rock, or any cold tasteless American pilsner style "beer"
tongue.gif

(c) You have just left work and you go to your favorite bar and want to unwind - Bass, Newcastle, or one of several other English ales

(d) You are eating pizza - Abita Springs Turbo Dog! Mmmmm...pizza and the Dog

(e) You are out on a date - (see English Ales, maybe Amstel Light)

(f) You just want to savor the flavor - Abita Springs Turbo Dog, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, or Berliner Kindelweiss (if I can ever find the dang stuff! They keep losing their distributor here in the NE area)

Hey man great name.
icon10.gif
I used to drink Rolling Rock quite a bit too actually. Still still have one on occasion as well as some of the others on your list. Cool to see someone else here familar with Abita. Turbo Dog is good too. Abita's distribution is growing. Seeing we have much common taste in beer I'm going to have to try the Samuel Smith OS, & Berliner K.

er... cheers!
icon10.gif

May 7, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
What is your favorite beer to drink when:

(a) Having a spicy meal
(b) When you are outside and it is over 85 degrees Farenheit
(c) You have just left work and you go to your favorite bar and want to unwind
(d) You are eating pizza
(e) You are out on a date
(f) You just want to savor the flavor

For me:

(a) Coronita, Cobra, Singha
(b) MGD or Bud (or any of those insipid american pilseneres...
biggrin.gif
)
(c) Carlsberg, New Castle Brown Ale
(d) Foster's, Dorada Especial
(e) Guinness, Beamish
(f) Lindeman's Kriek, Erdinger Hefe Weissbier, Hoegaarden Wit

(All of them are pretty much interchangable between them and by other beers too...)

May 7, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
I'm really surprised so many people like Guiness. Perhaps it's the marketing or just the fact that they don't allow themselves to try other competing Pub Draught's while reaching for the Guiness? Have any of the Guiness fans ever sampled Murphy's? IMO it not only tastes better but is smoother as well.

(a) Affligem Blonde
(b) San Miguel/Pacifico
(c) Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
(d) Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial Pale Ale
(e) Frey Organic Syrah
(f) Schneider-Weisse Aventinus Eisbock/Trappistes Rochefort 8

Well in the USA Guiness only kicked in a serious marketing campaign maybe 2 years ago. I'd bet most of us here have been drinking it much longer. I started drinking Guiness at least 10 years ago. I tried Murpheys once & it is ok. Smoother is not always prefered. It is also harder to find than Guiness... around these parts at least. Interesting list you have there though.

May 7, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #44 of 57
Nothing too fancy here. I like a lot of rare and exotic beers that I've tasted when travelling, but have never been truly into the beer scene. Lots to learn there. It could be another huge, time consuming hobby!

So, day to day, it would be Heinekin or Samual Adams Lager. But when in Jamaica, Red Stripe is the only way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back