What is your Computer Case
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #61 of 94

Quote:
What kind of computer case do you have. I want to buy the Corsair Obsidian 800D but i want fans, and my brother 18 (older than me) is telling me to stop wasting my money and buy the Antec 900 v2. So my question is, what kind of case do you have?

The Obsidian is a poor air-cooler, it's really designed for water set ups. If you want classy air-cooling, go with something like a Silverstone Fortress 2, various Lian-Li cases e.t.c. Generally you pay for superior construction, materials and little things like cable management, cooling ability, noise reduction and so on.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #62 of 94
I own an Antec 902.

Excellent cooling in combination with my Scythe Mugen 2. Too bad the dust filters are a pain in the ass to clean. You have to unscrew the entire front panel just to reach the filters. Major design flaw in my opinion.

My friend bought a Fractal Design Define XL. Now that is one amazing and well-thought out case. Silverstone and LianLi eat your heart out!!

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #63 of 94
IIRC the XL wasn't particularly good at cooling either, although it has to be said this is with a gaming/OC'ed set up where your cpu/cpu would be knocking out more heat.

Currently my case is that little slab of aluminium that is the Mac Mini 2010. I intend on making a fairly powerful yet simple Windows gaming machine using this case:

The Silverstone FT03. Replace stock fans for Typhoons, single high end GPU, couple of hard drives for games and files, something like a Rampage Extreme III Gene or whatever the Ivy Bridge equivalent will be later in the year, it can fit most full size heatsinks, not sure what to go for really, ridiculous temps for the size of the case, small footprint, love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDLlBewL7g

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #64 of 94
Quote:
My friend bought a Fractal Design Define XL. Now that is one amazing and well-thought out case. Silverstone and LianLi eat your heart out!!

I like the style of the Fractal R3/R2 Design Define as well. They are quiet cases, so perfect for listening rooms. One of those cases was my second choice. I ended up going with the 690ii advanced, added some sound dampening and swapped out the stock fans for quiet gentle typhoons.
I'm quite happy with it, though it does have its flaws. It's hard to reach a good compromise between airflow/cooling performance and quiet with a gaming build.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #66 of 94
I had a Fractal case and thought it was awful, very plasticy, nothing fitted right, and the fan mounts were terrible. Plastic square things that clipped in- sort of holding everything together. The door on my case wasn't lined up properly, so it creaked and got stuck when you tried to pull it open, and the gaps didn't meet when it was closed. The fan blades actually touched and rubbed against the mount things... You can imagine what that sounded like!

Sorry to say it, but it looks like I got a really really bad one! I still couldn't forgive its' design flaws, some good ideas but really badly exectuted.

I sent it back, all OK, and bought a Lian-Li with some sound proofing. Difference is night and day, the quality shines through. Never again! Every part on my Lian-Li is aluminium, and is solid as a rock. Perfect.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #69 of 94
Yeah the Silverstone cases with the 'mobo turned 90 degrees' design are fantastic air coolers. It makes you wonder why case design has been so lazy as far as internal layout goes. The chimney stack effect Silverstone use, and the thermal zones of the Lian Li X series are perfect examples of companies trying something different with cases. I'd like to see an FT03-like design but as an ATX mid-tower, kinda like the new RV-03 but vertically stacked rather than being the typical deep box that nearly all towers are.

Cubitek have something interesting with their modular Cube case, but the cabling between modules is messy.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #72 of 94
I agree with Remior on the Coolermaster HAF 932.  I built a new system last fall with this case (Blue LEDs).  I do not think it could look any better and the system build could have been any easier.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213

I love the blue LED on the side and the top.

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #75 of 94
Lian-Li PC A17

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobo: EVGA x58 Classified
CPU: Intel i7 930 w/ Noctua NH-U12P Heatsink 
Ram: 6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC 1600 
Video: ATI Radeon HD 6950 (x2)
Sound: X-Fi Titanium HD
Power: Seasonic M12 700 watts
Fans: Noiseblocker MF12 S3 (x3)    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back