What is your audio software?
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
there appears to be numerous different ways of playing music on your computer.

I use winamp w/ studio sound fx plugin to play cds ripped w/ ogg vorbis. I have asio4all too. I am unsure if the studio sound fx plugin negates this however. edit: I think it turns asio off. Hmmm.

Apparently, I never gave a ton of thought to this part of the chain. I usually had an external dac which I fed bit-perfect data. Now I just have my x-fi and a decent i/c to my amp.

After toying with the settings a bit, there is a huge difference in sound. What I have now I can live with. Detail, slam and sound stage are all good. I am always curious about what other folks use though.

I am certain there are a few of you who have really explored this aspect of pc audio. Please share but refrain from all appendage wagging if at all possible. Thanks!

Space

beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 51
I use Creative's Media Source alongside the X-Fi drivers

using decent IC's between the X-Fi Prelude and CI VHP-1 for analog, and X-Fi Prelude and Technics SH-AC500D for digital

might get a second D/A at some point (been looking at it recently)

I've tried foobar2k, WMP 9, 10, and 11, and various versions of iTunes for Windows and OS X, along with AmaroK for Linux

always end up going back to CMS5 on WindowsXP

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 51
Winamp on Auzentech Prelude. Very unimpressing sound really. Digital in the worst sense.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 51
I've used nothing but a computer for my audio, really. Never experienced a good CD player, so I know no different.

Currently I use an iMac running iTunes, playing ALAC files. It's bit perfect and works completely hassle-free.

Also had a play around with Canz3D, running via Audio Hijack Pro. I like it for certain kinds of music, particularly older 2 track recordings. Less so for the newer stuff. Trying to decide whether I'll use it enough to warrant buying it.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 51
Amarok is a new one to me AudioPhewl(you know Phule also means fool?). What else have you tried to compare it against?

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 51
I'm using MediaMonkey and Foobar - PC -> iBasso Viper DAC (music) and PC -> Creative X-Fi Extreme (gaming fixes). For music, playing format are FLAC and MP3. Headphone is a wireless Sennheiser R130.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 51
Foobar2k>WASAPI>Digital Out>Yamaha HTR-5760>HD555/JBL Studio Series

pink

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 51
I can't figure out Foobar to save my life and have not checked in to others so I use the old standby, Windows Media Player.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 51
For playback I use either Nero, Zune, or iTunes depending on which computer I'm on at the time.

For ripping I use EAC and Lame.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 51
Flac audio files via Foobar2K out to Zero DAC with Earth HDAM the to Senn 650 hooked up to Gilmore Lite & DPS. All files encoded via EAC.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 51
iTunes for playback, and Max for ripping/encoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back