What is your audio software?
Jan 29, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #16 of 51
foobar 0.9.6.2 but i'll try winamp again later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 51
Favorite: Foobar

Using (and a close second): Amarok (1.4)

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 51
The thing to remember is that the media software par se doesnt have any bearing on the audio at all. Its the plugins, drivers, hardware, codecs etc. that have the major effect. The media software is essentially a database controller that handles your media files so just go with the one that looks the best for you and is easiest to manage.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foobar 0.9.6.2 but i'll try winamp again later
smily_headphones1.gif

why .6.2? it has a lot less support than 9.5 or an 8.x
edit: foobar of course
wink.gif
0.9.5.0 here (for DSP support)

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 51
Hmmm. Looks like high end is a player that try's to improve SQ as its primary motivator. Interesting.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. Looks like high end is a player that try's to improve SQ as its primary motivator. Interesting.

Quite. I've played around with it a little and it does sound somewhat better to me than the othe MP's I've tried (Winamp/iTunes/WMP/JRM/Media Monkey). The difference is minor, though.

However, I hate the interface. Very basic and unwieldy IMO. And Winamp/Media Monkey still sound better to me in the end with the OzoneMP Plugin enabled.
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, my current setup is:

Software - Winxp, FLAC and MP3's -> MediaMonkey -> Otachan ASIO plugin -> OzoneMP DSP plugin

Hardware - Xonar Essence STX -> Bluejeans LC-1 RCA -> Corda Opera -> Beyer DT990's.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #26 of 51
Cool. Actually, my x-fi set to audio creation plus the winamp plug in Studio sound fx is doing very well. Not as good as my Oritek but not far off in some ways. The sound stage and bass slam are both larger. Not as much detail but sufficient most of the time.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #27 of 51
I use J River Media Center (or their free J River Media Jukebox) and sometimes foobar2000.

What software works best for you depends on where you place your priorities and requirements. My number one requirement is perfect gapless playback of MP3s, and that there eliminated a lot of media players. Second is ability to do bitperfect playback. Third is the ability to easily switch from multiple audio interfaces. Fourth is easy visual management of a large music collection.

Take all of those requirements and a few others and personal preference and I pretty much eliminated everything but J River and occasional use of foobar.

J River has some high quality (audio quality) DSP effects that can be added. High quality EQ and other effects. Same with foobar. So if you want quality effects they are both good options to consider.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #28 of 51
i don't like library management of winamp.. so i went back to foobar 0.8.3 to try the SRC resampler.. it seems ok..

i am a media player mosquito.. buzzing around
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mpd -> alsa -> usb dac

I assume you are using GNU/Linux
smily_headphones1.gif
.. Great!!!

Mine is: MPlayer svn_build -> ALSA -USB-> Nuforce Icon Mobile USB-DAC-AMP-> Nuforce NE-7m.

No artificial sound FX added.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #30 of 51
Foobar and fofr. Shame it's not supported by the current version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back