What is the "weirdest" album you own and why?
Aug 21, 2001 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Everyone has one. That one record on your shelf that you NEVER loan to friends (they just wouldn't understand), by that artist you would never tell anyone you liked. The one CD you would NEVER give to someone on whom you were trying to make a positive impresssion.

The bottom line, though, is it has to be an album you LOVE, not one that you just haven't gotten around to selling yet. For whatever reason, you just shouldn't like that kind of music, but you do.

Of couse, your idea of a "weird" record will be different than anyone else's and will depend on its context within the rest of your collection. That's what makes it interesting.

Also, tell us why you think it's weird or embarrassing, unless it's somehow self-explanatory.

markl

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 61
For me, it's most definetely my Best of Smooth Jazz, Vol. 1, CD.

Very nice collection - some of the songs have VERY cheesy lyrics, but the music is nice. Especially Fourplay song....

Why is it the "weirdest"? Heh...I'm 13 - my MOM listens to smooth jazz......talk about ridicule at skewl.
rolleyes.gif

Ah well.....I'm already ridiculed enough....a little more won't hurt....

Aug 21, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 61
Apocalyptica-"Plays Metallica By Four Cellos"

self explanatory.

Aug 21, 2001 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 61
Common Thread: The Songs Of The Eagles, or something like that. It's a compilation of Eagles songs performed by a bunch of country western stars. Suprisingly, I would have to rate a few of the tracks on that CD as better that the originals.

Aug 21, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 61
i think it was called F.O.B. by jamez (or something like that). it's some korean guy rapping about the 7 train. my brother got it for me as a gag gift. along with all those aol cd's, i now use it as a coaster, though the microwave is looking more and more tempting
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 61
oh, this is a very good idea for a thread
smily_headphones1.gif
. Let me see...even though I think I discussed it on headwize, I would say orbital's earlier stuff. Like "kein trink wasser." It's almost embarrassing listening to that stuff because I'm not even sure if it's classifiable as music sometimes! But I still like it every once in a while...

Aug 21, 2001 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 61
The Bangles Greatest Hits...
Some really lame lyrics (Walk Like An Egyptian)
I have mentioned to people i like the bangles only to be laughed at. I know of only one person who will admit to liking this group. Still there is something about this groups songs that i find to be particularly appealing...

That one record on your shelf....by that artist you would never tell anyone you liked

oops, sorry i cheated...someone gave the the bangles album and i while i heard the name before i had no idea who they were so when i asked two friends about them they laughed at me...i never tell anyone how much i came to like them, stupid lyrics and all...well that is except here of course

Aug 21, 2001 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

That one record on your shelf....by that artist you would never tell anyone you liked

Aug 21, 2001 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 61
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance

What a strange voice! Sometimes I can't get enough of this disc though.

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Hard to explain. Bizarre lyrics, gravelly voice, is he high? Animal sounds, etc etc etc etc

Aug 21, 2001 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 61
Even though I constantly profess my love for Nina Persson on these boards, I am usually loathe to admit that I really like The Cardigans' Gran Turismo. It used to be somewhat normal for me to listen to it since I listened mostly to rock at one time; now, though, since I otherwise listen almost exclusively to jazz and classical music, it seems strange that that's the only rock CD I listen to. And the lyrics are often so ridiculous! But Nina doesn't have to take ESL for me to love her.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 61
Captain Beefheart is a weird guy. The only thing I own with him on it is the soundtrack to The Big Lebowski. His song on it isn't nearly as strange as, say, Ice Cream for Crow, which is virtually unlistenable it's so crazy.

The weirdest album I own is Colors by Ken Nordine. Word jazz is kinda cool, but 30 poems about colors set to jazz is a bit too much.

I found out about old Ken through a CD called Incredibly Strange Music Vol. 1. It's got a lot of fun stuff on it. There's also Vol. 2, but they're quite hard to find.

Aug 21, 2001 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
oh, this is a very good idea for a thread
smily_headphones1.gif
. Let me see...even though I think I discussed it on headwize, I would say orbital's earlier stuff. Like "kein trink wasser." It's almost embarrassing listening to that stuff because I'm not even sure if it's classifiable as music sometimes! But I still like it every once in a while...

WHAT?!
eek.gif
That is one of the coolest songs.

Don't listen to him folks, he's obviously crazy!
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 61
I just realized I never posted my own weird albums.

1. Carpenters-Best Of.... What can I say, it's as white-bread as it gets, but there's something about her voice that just stops you in your tracks.

2. Scott Walker- First 4 albums import remastered HDCD editions. The existential Frank Sinatra. The most bizarre music I've ever encountered, executed incredibly well by a singer with one of the great voices of the twentieth century. Very, very weird stuff, especially, his later album Tilt. He's completely bonkers, the loon.

Aug 21, 2001 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 61
Sheesh, why am I revealing this?

Wham! - Make It Big

Aug 21, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 61
hey man, I like the song! but you gotta admit, that piano is strange
wink.gif

I'm changing my wierdest album anyway, I didn't even think about this one: chumbawamba - tubthumper. Because I used to like that stuff. *sigh*

Uh oh, now someone's going to be a chumba fan!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back