What is the warmest sounding solid state under a hundred?
Jul 18, 2007 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
As some of you may know, I am seriously downsizing my setup. I am giving up the entire dual mono setup and keeping only the Koss A250. While the Darkvoice is wonderful pairing for the Koss, I just don't want something that expensive and difficult to maintain anymore (i.e, tube amp). What is a really good and very very warm sounding SS amp that is under a hundred dollars? I know it sounds cheap, but what's the point of downsizing if I just turn around and get an amp just as expensive
evil_smiley.gif
?

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 28
you're selling almost all of your setup?

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 28
Yes
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 28
Tube amps with the RCA 6sn7 grey glass.

I agree that the 627/637 opamps are also warm. You can use them in the PPA, but is warmer in a Pimeta. M3 may be the most warm.

For portables, the Xtra X1 amp.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 28
look at the thread on the sponsored thread on the top of the page:
O1 headamp group buy

Its over 100 but its warm, and most likely the cheapest manufactured desktop out there, unless you build yourself a ckkiii. I listened to it and it is warm, but not thick sounding. Beats most mid fi portables under 300.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 28
Why not just buy a nice solid-state receiver or integrated amp for home audio? I use a Kenwood KA-2002A integrated amp for my computer. It sounds excellent. Really beefs up headphones compared to the headphone input on my computer. I got mine for free. They don't go for much more than that on eBay! They're not that common though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KENWOOD-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is just one of the possibilities. If you want an all around EXCELLENT integrated amp that could handle ANY job, the KA-7100 would do it very well. It's found for less than 100 usually and sound great with headphones.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrobotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just buy a nice solid-state receiver or integrated amp for home audio? I use a Kenwood KA-2002A integrated amp for my computer. It sounds excellent. Really beefs up headphones compared to the headphone input on my computer. I got mine for free. They don't go for much more than that on eBay! They're not that common though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KENWOOD-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is just one of the possibilities. If you want an all around EXCELLENT integrated amp that could handle ANY job, the KA-7100 would do it very well. It's found for less than 100 usually and sound great with headphones.

x2, check out the older SS receivers with a headphone output. Many head-fiers still use this set-ups and they are cheap, sub $100.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Burn Pt.2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at the thread on the sponsored thread on the top of the page:
O1 headamp group buy

Its over 100 but its warm, and most likely the cheapest manufactured desktop out there, unless you build yourself a ckkiii. I listened to it and it is warm, but not thick sounding. Beats most mid fi portables under 300.

I cant think of anything under $100 that will warm up the A250... and not clutter up its marvelous high end at the same time. maybe a pint, made specifically for those cans, but I dont think it will be under $100, probably just a little over.

Ditto on the head-direct O1 headamp. I've had one for a month now and have formed some longish term impressions. Its warmer sounding than my pimeta, and on-par with it in detail resolution. Its over your limit though.

Im going to recommend a DIY cmoy based on the OPA2107, moderate gain around 4-5. Power it with a pair of 9V cells in series or a 12V wall wart and you'll be in business. IMHO the A250 is one of those cans that doesn't really need tons of voltage/current to sound good, unless of course you listen at very loud volumes. IMHO it responds more to source than amp upgrades

Users who are viewing this thread

Back