What is the special sauce behind the Chord Hugo?
Nov 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #121 of 138
I remember using the Chord Qute HD for the first time - suddenly red book CD sounded right - detail emerged, bass with weight and definition, the attack of notes was radically improved.  If the Hugo is doing things better than the Qute, it's worth listening too, rather than dismissing out of hand because of some argument over figures and statistics.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #122 of 138
If redbook sounded wrong to you before, that is much more likely to be because your old DAC/Amp wasn't performing to spec than it is that the new one was unique in its ability to present redbook. An amp/dac should be audibly transparent, presenting the sound exactly as it is recorded. If it isn't doing that, something is wrong with it- either manufacturing defect or just plain old bad design.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #124 of 138
  I wonder which measures better... Benchmark Dac, Chord Hugo, or Schiit Yggdrasil.

my Hugo measures pretty well, after a bit of research I decided on using a Fisco tape-measure which resulted in the following measurements: length 132mm, width 100mm & height 20mm... can't comment on the others as I don't own them, hth...
wink_face.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #125 of 138

my Hugo measures pretty well, after a bit of research I decided on using a Fisco tape-measure which resulted in the following measurements: length 132mm, width 100mm & height 20mm... can't comment on the others as I don't own them, hth...
wink_face.gif

You need to upgrade your ruler baby. It'll make the measurements that much smoother and refined. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #126 of 138
not even a golden ratio. I'm so desapointed by this product.

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #128 of 138
  You need to upgrade your ruler baby. It'll make the measurements that much smoother and refined. 

yeah I was thinking that this ole Fisco has seen better days and the tri-lock mechanism has a mind of its own... I was thinking of getting a Stanley 'Fat Max' until I saw this sexy magnetic hotty:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-16ft-Magnetic-Measure-48-22-5216/dp/B00FK8WOTC/ref=sr_1_13?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1416400123&sr=1-13&keywords=tape+measure

you seem well up on this malarkey so can you offer me any advice?, it must have a lock, I won't budge on that.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #129 of 138

yeah I was thinking that this ole Fisco has seen better days and the tri-lock mechanism has a mind of its own... I was thinking of getting a Stanley 'Fat Max' until I saw this sexy magnetic hotty:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-16ft-Magnetic-Measure-48-22-5216/dp/B00FK8WOTC/ref=sr_1_13?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1416400123&sr=1-13&keywords=tape+measure

you seem well up on this malarkey so can you offer me any advice?, it must have a lock, I won't budge on that.

LMAO !!!   
k701smile.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #130 of 138
In reference to the discussion on the previous page about schiit amps:
In the FAQ for the Modi Schiit say this:

'If this thing is so great, why would I step up to Bifrost or Gungnir?

Because you need multiple inputs, or because you want a fully discrete gain stage, or you need balanced outputs. Or upgradability. Magni isn’t upgradable. Which shouldn’t be a surprise, since it costs less than the Bifrost or Gungnir upgrades themselves.'

Note that they say nothing about sound getting better, simply more features. They even say a similar thing about their Magni amp. In other words, they make no claims that their more expensive gear sounds better, simply that it offers more features. This is why I like Schiit - there's no snake oil. Of course they make more expensive stuff, they're a company and that's how they make money. People will buy more expensive stuff because they think it will be better.

So "Schiit" lowest cost model amplifiers sound the same as their most expensive models?

The added costs between models is attributed to the features but not the sound quality?

I think perhaps some audiophile goods mirror clothes market, non-designer/designer price differences and perceived values maybe?

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #131 of 138
So "Schiit" lowest cost model amplifiers sound the same as their most expensive models?

The added costs between models is attributed to the features but not the sound quality?

I think perhaps some audiophile goods mirror clothes market, non-designer/designer price differences and perceived values maybe?

Yeah, I literally kept my Asgard 2 over the Magni simply because of the gain switch and the better pot. And knowing what I know now (amazing how quickly you can learn when you find the right forum of material), I'd have another Modi instead of the Bifrost. Live and learn.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #132 of 138

Well you're actually looking at the DACs and not the amps here. I would expect DACs to have smaller differences than amps because they have the same goal (to convert a digital signal into an analog one), while amps can aim for specific power outputs to work better with specific types of headphones (and headphones will have the biggest impact on sound quality).

There are some pretty big power differences between any two "tier 2" Schiit amps (Asgard, Valhalla, and Lyr). Asgard is all solid state with good power, except into high impedances. Valhalla is all tube, so it offers much more power into high impedances at the expense of power into low impedance. Lyr offers even more power than Asgard and doesn't fall short into high impedances, but Valhalla does edge out an extra 140 mW into 300 Ohms.

Out of these three amps, Asgard is the only one, IMO, with a hard sell from a Schiit amp with a lower price (Magni). But as RRod (and Schiit) pointed out, the larger chassis/board offers more capability, giving you a gain switch and preamp outputs. Those would be pretty hard to add onto something with a 5" x 3.5" x 1.25" chassis.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #133 of 138
Well you're actually looking at the DACs and not the amps here. I would expect DACs to have smaller differences than amps because they have the same goal (to convert a digital signal into an analog one), while amps can aim for specific power outputs to work better with specific types of headphones (and headphones will have the biggest impact on sound quality).

There are some pretty big power differences between any two "tier 2" Schiit amps (Asgard, Valhalla, and Lyr). Asgard is all solid state with good power, except into high impedances. Valhalla is all tube, so it offers much more power into high impedances at the expense of power into low impedance. Lyr offers even more power than Asgard and doesn't fall short into high impedances, but Valhalla does edge out an extra 140 mW into 300 Ohms.

Out of these three amps, Asgard is the only one, IMO, with a hard sell from a Schiit amp with a lower price (Magni). But as RRod (and Schiit) pointed out, the larger chassis/board offers more capability, giving you a gain switch and preamp outputs. Those would be pretty hard to add onto something with a 5" x 3.5" x 1.25" chassis.

From what I've read on here the Asgard has no issues with the 600ohm offerings of Beyerdynamic and the like. I think Schiit offers the mid-range tube amps because they can make money off the mid-range tube amps, as is there right as a company that needs to make money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back